Do you think the DVC will keep the DDP going? Opinions

MrsJobba1

Dvc owner at BWV & SSR
Hi,

I know some people love and some hate it. But in Aug when we visited WDW we found that the DDP helped to save us money (although there was way too much food).

We are not going back to USA until 2008 as we are doing the Med cruise, but I wondered whether they will still have the DDp in 2008? I really hope they do. It made budgeting so much easier for us.

Well What do you think? Will they still have it - do you love it or hate?
Just curious.
Thanks
:goodvibes

While we've not yet tried DDP, (we will in January), as long as it's available for general reservations, I expect it will be available to DVC members.

Stay tuned! :)

I agree with Doc, now that DVC has the option, I don't see them taking it away unless the plan is cancelled completely and while some on the DIS hate it, the reception to it based on Disney marketing research is over whelmingly positive.

It's all speculative, of course, but I think the opinions above are as good as any.

But I do think there is a difference in the strategy with DDP for DVC owners, compared to that for the general public.

The basic idea of the DDP for the general public is NOT to put seats in seats in restaurants, but to put butts in beds in the onsite resorts. A secondary (but still important) goal is to keep visitors at WDW, rather than have them wandering off to Universal or Sea World (or other places in Florida). They bill it as "all-inclusive," but what that really means is "All it includes is WDW!" And it's been a huge success, as far as I can tell.

With the DVC owners, I think the two strategies are 1) to keep us happy, and 2) to encourage us to eat onsite. We're going to be at the DVC resorts anyway, so they're not worried about that. I'm sure Disney can track whether the DDP has increased DVCers use of onsite restaurants. If that's an improvement and the DDP doesn't cost Disney anything, I think they'll keep it.

The danger to us is that the marketing kids will come up with some new angle that won't include the DDP.

I know that one reason we did not purchase DVC when we attended the sales presentation was that we could not get the DDP. We were very upfront with our guide about not wanting to give up the convenience of the DDP.

I also don't think it will get taken away unless the parks/non DVC resorts themselves give it up. I agree that Disney wants people to stay, shop, and eat onsite. I do think they will likely make it unavailable to renters, because Disney would much rather people be staying on a MYW package plus dining.

It wouldn't shock me to see a fairly substantial price increase in the DDP - but it did shock me not to see one this year (and I never thought they'd build at AKL or give us a decent AP discount - my track record isn't good, but where I'm where I'm wrong, its all been upside). But I think this one has a few years on it yet.

(I think a third reason for the DDP - it allows Disney to compete more with all-inclusives - such as cruising or beach resorts. For a lot of people, knowing up front what their total vacation cost will be and bringing a couple hundred for souvieniers is a real plus).

crisi said:
(I think a third reason for the DDP - it allows Disney to compete more with all-inclusives - such as cruising or beach resorts. For a lot of people, knowing up front what their total vacation cost will be and bringing a couple hundred for souvieniers is a real plus).
That's a good point. I've heard this comment a LOT over on the DDP board.

I think this is especially important for newbies who get the idea of going on a Disney vacation, and plan their lodging and airfare...and then start looking at ticket costs, character meals, etc, etc, etc. For them, it has to be very helpful to have the food cost locked in, and that's a big marketing plus for Disney.

I totally agree with JimMIA's post. We did the free DDP twice in the Summers of 2005 and 2006. It was awesome. We did our Dec 2005 trip without the DDP, and boy, did that experiment fail big time. We were wanting our DDP so badly!

Another thing: We did find that we increased the souvenior budget on the first free DDP trip, and the second free dining trip we actually stayed an extra day. We were happy to be held hostage so to speak in WDW with the DDP for those trips! I am sure many people did the same thing with the free dining.

I agree with the prior poster about the DDP was part of the reason we did not first purchase in Sept 2005. Of course, this DDP perk can be ended at any time for both the DVC and the general population. There is no guarantee of the free dining plan either in August to September going forward either. After that December trip without the DDP, my DH and I concluded that it was so worth buying it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter