Do you think DVC should be a little more open to people moving dates without penalty because of corona?

If you cancel and end up with holding points, they expire at the end of your current UY, which is July 31st,...the last night to use them..

You can then use those points to book any trip 60 days or less from the check in. For example, you could call up say, May 1st and try to book anything from July 1st or earlier,
Thanks for your help!

If you cancel and end up with holding points, they expire at the end of your current UY, which is July 31st,...the last night to use them..

You can then use those points to book any trip 60 days or less from the check in. For example, you could call up say, May 1st and try to book anything from July 1st or earlier,
You may want to make your final decision by 31 days out. That way you could rent those points upon cancellation. Try to avoid putting them into holding.

You may want to make your final decision by 31 days out. That way you could rent those points upon cancellation. Try to avoid putting them into holding.

Good point. They will still have borrowed points that expire. But at least if they avoid holding they could still bank as the deadline for Aug UY is March 31st.

I have one point in holding due to changing a night from Sarasota Springs to AKL 3 days before my stay. I might just have to eat the point unless I take a last minute trip.

Good point. They will still have borrowed points that expire. But at least if they avoid holding they could still bank as the deadline for Aug UY is March 31st.
Exactly. And they could try and rent out those borrowed points to recoup some dues dollars. The points are good until July 31. People are still renting. Bank the current points. Rent the borrowed points. The member in this scenario doesn’t have to rent out the reservation. A renter can book their preferred dates.

Thanks all...never considered the possibility of renting the 504 points and then maybe using the 296 points at a later date...We used so many points planning this special birthday, and other occasions for this trip for my family. ADR's are great...FP+ all worked out...Beautiful 3 BR Villa at Boardwalk...Moonlight Magic at MK and best of all, all of our kids were able to get off of work to join us...
Still holding onto the hope that it will happen...Thinking it makes the most sense to make a firm decision at 31+ days...
I really appreciate all the help!

Thanks all...never considered the possibility of renting the 504 points and then maybe using the 296 points at a later date...We used so many points planning this special birthday, and other occasions for this trip for my family. ADR's are great...FP+ all worked out...Beautiful 3 BR Villa at Boardwalk...Moonlight Magic at MK and best of all, all of our kids were able to get off of work to join us...
Still holding onto the hope that it will happen...Thinking it makes the most sense to make a firm decision at 31+ days...
This is my plan. I have ten more days. Not looking good.

Good luck! I hope you get to take your trip...it sounds like you did a lot of planning! Hopefully all the good luck you had during the planning holds on longer and continues throughout your trip!:flower3:

This is my plan. I have ten more days. Not looking good.

I am sorry I did not read the whole thread, so I do not know if you said if you had someone in a higher risk group for the disease, but if you do not, I see absolutely no reason to cancel.

I am sorry I did not read the whole thread, so I do not know if you said if you had someone in a higher risk group for the disease, but if you do not, I see absolutely no reason to cancel.
Higher risk group. Male, 55 with history of asthma, pneumonia and hypertension.

Higher risk group. Male, 55 with history of asthma, pneumonia and hypertension.

If I was in a higher risk group, I would reschedule until they have more information and a better understanding of this virus. It seems less harmful than originally thought, but I wouldn’t take the risk if I was being told I was in that group. If not in that group, I would say to enjoy the trip. No Disney vacation is worth the anxiety you’ll probably have the whole time you’re there just worrying about whether or not someone in your group will get it if someone has the known risk factors. You’ll be back to WDW when things settle down. :)

My personal experience is that on Tuesday, I had to cancel DVC and a cruise trip that was to begin on Wednesday. A problem came up, and I went to my health provider who will fill out the insurance forms. The points went into holding, and I am very fortunate that I was able to book a one bedroom at SSR for a few days before our upcoming May trip! Then I added a studio, at Riviera, for our DS and a DGD! Voila! Our holding points were used!

Just last weekend we had decided that in spite of being in our 70’s we were well enough to do the trip. Then this happened!!

DCL has just announced more generous cancellation and rebooking policies, and we missed that by a few days. They only gave us about $200 back, so I am hoping the insurance works for us. Air was on SW, so that’s OK.

My personal experience is that on Tuesday, I had to cancel DVC and a cruise trip that was to begin on Wednesday. A problem came up, and I went to my health provider who will fill out the insurance forms. The points went into holding, and I am very fortunate that I was able to book a one bedroom at SSR for a few days before our upcoming May trip! Then I added a studio, at Riviera, for our DS and a DGD! Voila! Our holding points were used!

Just last weekend we had decided that in spite of being in our 70’s we were well enough to do the trip. Then this happened!!

DCL has just announced more generous cancellation and rebooking policies, and we missed that by a few days. They only gave us about $200 back, so I am hoping the insurance works for us. Air was on SW, so that’s OK.

sorry to read about your bad timing. Yes, I’m also in that cancellation policy window. Yesterday I canceled my insurance because I was still in my review window. If I do cruise in April, I’ll buy another policy, but still not sure if it will cover anything....looking more towards med evacuation coverage. We are working on a plan B right now. My husband had surgery a month ago and our mid April cruise was/is for relaxing, I’m not sure if he would be able to fight the Virus. He’s very active, but being cautious. To be honest, I’m waiting to See how it’s handled when it hits more ships. I have that relief feeling now that this new policy has been released. We were never going to fly this trip because it’s a 3 week trip. But flying in June with my tween/teen granddaughters.....

How close to your travel can you purchase Disney travel insurance for DVC? I know if we cancel we go into a holding account where you can’t rebook until 60 days before trip. That will be a nightmare. Does anyone know how close to trip you can cancel and still be put into a holding account.? Thank you for any assistance. Crazy times. So sad if we have to cancel.

Last edited:
It’s nothing like flu. It’s roughly as contagious as flu but with a circa 25 times the death rate and no innoculations. Latest UK government ‘reasonable worst case’ is that it will kill 500,000 just in the UK, which would mean something like 2.5 million in the US. That does not mean that many will be killed but it is a governmental assessment of reasonable worst case. Hospitals would be absolutely overwhelmed.
Let’s hope it doesn’t happen.

No they haven't they have quoted 100,000 deaths but stated that this is a scientific worse case estimate if all the worst case scenarios play out simultaneously.

I've read the DCL new policy and understand DVC resort canceling/holding/banking (I think). But what about cruises booked with points? It's not til late August so no decisions yet but if I cancel before 30 days out, do I get my points back?

I'd have to look but I think some were banked from prior year and some current year. If so, do points from prior year go into holding and current year come back into current year (and can be banked forward at my usual banking deadline)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter