Do you still ride the coasters when no one else in your family does?

I_am_Groot

Earning My Ears
We are a family of three tentatively planning a short Disney trip (MK and Epcot) for the summer of 2022 if things are somewhat back to normal. My spouse hates roller coasters and my daughter is too young. Meanwhile I love them! The problem is that the mountains and 7DMT (which didn’t exist last time I was at the park) are some of the most popular rides, so strategy would involve rope dropping and getting Fast Passes (if they are back by next summer) to avoid waiting in ridiculously long lines. When I am the only one riding, I think I would feel a bit guilty running off to ride something by myself when the park opens or using initial FPs on coasters. But on the other hand, I think I would feel a bit resentful if I skipped all of them or waited until later in the day when lines were super long.

Maybe a good compromise would be to try to do only one or two coasters in MK and Guardians in Epcot if it is open by then? We are going to try to get an advance FP for Frozen and Peter Pan and will try to prioritize whatever else our daughter wants to do in the parks (hubby is happy just to eat and drink around Epcot, haha).

I’m sure there are other families like ours and I was wondering what everyone else does when only one person wants to ride the coasters or other popular rides?

Of course! My mom can't do most of the thrill rides, but I always do them. She either rides something else, or just relaxes on a bench somewhere and waits. She's usually grateful for a break. There was one day on our last trip when I rope dropped DHS by myself to knock out all the thrill rides and she met me there later in the morning. We work it out.

It's hard to give advice for a 2022 trip, since no one really knows if FP will be back and what form it would take. I would prioritize one coaster in each park that is your must do. Then I would either plan to rope drop it while DH and DD did something else near by, or save the long wait in line for snack/nap/play at Casey Jr. splash pad time later on in the day. If FP is back the way we know it, I would use my first 3 with my whole family then search for a single FP for a coaster and keep refreshing.

We are a family of 4, so it is easier to split up without guilt. My youngest was happy to eat popcorn and people watch while his dad and big brother did Splash and Big Thunder.

Yep, I’ll ride rides that my party won’t/can’t ride and they’ll ride rides I won’t/can’t ride. If I’m not riding what the others are riding, I’ll watch a show, ride another ride, get a snack, shop, or just find a bench to sit on and relax.

Yes - I love coasters so we would just split up until one then both my dd's were tall enough. If there is something DH likes to do you can alternate that and each have 1-1 time with your daughter.

When the kids were young our oldest was DH's coaster rider. Now that it is down to us, I have started riding the coasters because he won't ride them on his own. They're not my favorite but many of them I actually can handle. We both agree that Space Mountain is two rough for us as it hurts both our necks now. Rock Roller Coaster has started bothering my neck but luckily for me it is a short ride. I finally pulled the trigger on Everest. Sorin's an endurance test.

Thanks everyone. This makes me feel better about trying to fit in a few thrill rides. We’ll have to wait until we have a better idea of what the parks will look like next year, if FP is coming back, etc to figure out strategy, so I’m sure I’ll have more questions later.

My daughter loves roller coasters, and the wilder, the better. I cannot ride the wild and thrashy ones due to scoliosis and an old neck injury. Dh just says he is too old and roller coasters make his body ache, so he won't ride with her on our next trip. My son is still too young to ride the wild ones, and he's not the adventurous spirit my daughter is anyway.
We plan for me to walk her through the single-rider queues, and I will take the chicken exit and meet her at the ride's exit. No hard feelings; we want her to enjoy our vacation also.

If FP+is back in the form we are accustomed to, you can book coaster FP+s for yourself and book FP+s of your husband and daughter’s choice near by for similar timing. Your whole party does not need to have the same FP+. Rope drop stuff everyone wants to do to begin with and then use your some of your FPs on separate things and everyone can be happy without much time wasted for your family waiting on you to do your rides.

Yes!! Either I do a FP while he does something else or I get in the single rider line (all pre COVID) He is usually grateful for a beer (or 2) and a break!!!

I don’t do coasters. I am / have always been the official popcorn holder in our family lol- now that we have little kids, I push them around burning more calories for more snackies, while everyone rides 😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter