• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Do you read health related magazines?

tiggerlover

<font color=33CC99>Still waiting for "the talk"<br
Just wondering if anyone out there reads any health or fitness related magazines and if so what ones? I never did before I started on my latest healthy lifestyle mission, but now I do and I actually have been getting some really great information from them. I have been regularly reading Shape and Self and a few fitness-type magazines, I like Shape and Self the most though.

I like to read shape and self once in awhile. I like Self the best. I also have a subscription to Weight Watchers.

I forgot about WW Magazine. How do you like it? Do you feel it is helpful to your weight loss efforts? Do they still have recipes?

I like Shape. I haven't bought one in a long time, hmmm. I should get one of those, shouldn't I?

They have some wonderful recipes!! I love the magazine. I find it most helpful because of the personal stories. It seems to motivate me!! I let my subscription lapse for a few months and really missed it!!

Been reading Prevention, lots of medical info and helpful lifestyle suggestions to better your life.

I used to read Shape. It served me well when I did, but don't think I'd go back to it again. Prevention upsets me because it claims to be about taking more natural approaches to health, but almost all the advertising is for prescription medications.

I've taken a very different approach to health over the last few years....and I tend to get very tired of hearing "talk to you doctor" over and over, and seeing all the "one size fits all" sorts of medical advice that magazines tend to put out (especially when it seems they contradict themselves from month to month....).

So anyway, I really don't read any magazines at this point...I haven't found any that interest me in a very long time!

I like to read prevention. However, you can get a lot of good info on the prevention.com website.

herc.

Thanks Jiminy for the reminder, I just purchased a subscription!

I subscribe to Weight Watchers and Muscle and Fitness-HERS which my trainer turned me on to. It's put out by the same people who put out SHAPE. I like it better than Shape because it motivates me to work harder, and it features Fitness competitors, not bodybuilders, so while these women are a little more muscular than I hope to be, they don't look like deformed mutants and actually look feminine.

The magazine also encourages healthy EATING as opposed to dieting, and has less hair, makeup and other fluff articles.

The one thing I don't care for is all the ads in it for Hydroxycut and other ephedra products as well as thigh creams, bust enhancers and other things like that. Love the magazine, hate most of the advertisers!

It's hard to find on newsstands (at least where I live).

Here's a link to their website for the curious.

http://www.muscle-fitnesshers.com/hers.html

I read Muscle and Fitness Hers. It has some great articles and recipes and motivational pictures. ALLLLLL the women in it are perfect looking. It is also filled with ads for weight loss products that I think are unhealthy. I do think there are some benefits to using supplements (like some protein shakes or bars) but it seems like 50% of the magazine is advertising ephedra and non ephedra weight loss pills.

I have a few back issues that I don't want anymore. If someone is interested in reading them, let me know. You can PM me your snail mail address and I'll send them to you. Hubby works for FedEx and gets a great discount on shipping! ;)

I've read that women's bodybuilding one you are talking about...a friend used to subscribe to it.....yeah, it was pretty good. Advertisements though....ugh....in most magazines!

And funny, just when I said I don't read health related magazines...it turns out that in April's Health magazine there's an article I was interviewed for! I haven't read it yet, but I've been told that the article is pretty bad.....some really flawed references, etc... There is, however, an important article for anyone who is going to have a baby in there....its just not the one I was interviewed for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter