Do you LIKE getting gifts?

:lovestruc Two categories of gifts I love getting: very meaningful things that the giver clearly had to understand me well and carefully consider what to get -OR- virtually anything (whether I like the item or not) from someone that just really, really wanted to bless me in some way.

When it comes to mundane gifts for Christmas or my birthday, from people who just do it just because it's an expected part of their routine, well, those don't move me much. I also never expect a gift from anyone for anything and it doesn't hurt my feelings if I don't get them. :teeth:

:lovestruc Two categories of gifts I love getting: very meaningful things that the giver clearly had to understand me well and carefully consider what to get -OR- virtually anything (whether I like the item or not) from someone that just really, really wanted to bless me in some way.

When it comes to mundane gifts for Christmas or my birthday, from people who just do it just because it's an expected part of their routine, well, those don't move me much. I also never expect a gift from anyone for anything and it doesn't hurt my feelings if I don't get them. :teeth:

Unexpected gifts are the best kind <3

I dislike getting gifts. Strong words, but gift giving or receiving is NOT my love language. I love the episode of Big Bang Theory where Sheldon is trying to figure out the gift giving protocol. "You haven't given me a gift, you've given me an obligation!" is my favorite quote.

It was helpful to me to read The Five Love Languages because it did help me understand the perspective of those who are into gift giving. Thankfully DH's love language isn't gifts nor is anyone's in my family. His family finds great joy in it though so we do exchange with them. (We've tried to stop because none of them can spare the money to buy gifts, but they always start it up again because they saw the perfect thing...)

My sister desperately tried to hang on to the Christmas gift exchange but it really wasn't because of the gifting, it was the idea of tradition. She used to claim she loved it and couldn't do without it, but would call me numerous times all stressed out wanting me to tell her what to give people. It drove me nuts because I hate shopping and choosing gifts so I didn't want to do hers too!

My gift giving list consists of a gift for my parents, one small gift and a card with a check in it for each of my adult kids (and now their spouses,) and sometimes a gift for my husband IF we agree to exchange. We'll give to eventual grandchildren until they grow up and enter the small gift and a card/check pool. Dh's family is a different story, but I try to make that HIS problem. I very rarely have anything to open on Christmas and that is fine with me.

Last edited:
I hate receiving gifts. It actually makes me a little physically ill. I have been like this since I was a small child.

It’s a combination of factors, but mostly that I feel guilty that the person wasted their money on something that I don’t want/need. I think I’ve also always been a bit of a rebellious idealist so it has always bothered me that I felt the gifts were given out of obligation— like it’s a “gift-giving” occasion so they had to get you something.

I love the Christmas season— the traditions, the smells, the music, the general feeling— but it’s always tinged with a bit of anxiety and dread for me over the presents.

I'd rather someone show me they love me by DOING something with me. Spending time with me. I find, in a lot of cases, a gift is given out of obligation. It's Christmas, someone's Birthday, Graduation, Wedding, etc.

I already spend lots of time with loved ones. That wouldn’t make Christmas any different than an ordinary Tuesday to me.

Gift Giving is definitely my love language, so I do enjoy giving and receiving gifts. I don't hesitate though, to return/exchange something that isn't to my taste.

I already spend lots of time with loved ones. That wouldn’t make Christmas any different than an ordinary Tuesday to me.

When our kids were younger part of their Christmas gifts were getting a day out. Sure we spent lots of quality time together anyway, but usually always as a family. This was special because that particular child got to pick what we did and where we ate. It was just them without their siblings so they got some individual time with mom and dad and they didn't have to consider anyone else's preferences.

I think that poster was also referring to giving an "experience" rather than a material gift. Like tickets to see a play or concert or movie or to go paint pottery or something together. Now it's difficult because we live far away, but I so wish my parents would have done that more when my kids were younger rather than giving them toys or things they didn't want or need that would end up getting thrown away or donated.

I love getting and giving gifts. Actually, I love giving gifts more. Finding the perfect gift for someone is something I enjoy. I don't buy stuff just to buy it. A lot of thought goes into what I gift. I appreciate meaningful, well-thought out gifts, not things that were bought out of obligation. The price of the gift doesn't matter because for me, it truly is the thought that counts.

I think that poster was also referring to giving an "experience" rather than a material gift. Like tickets to see a play or concert or movie or to go paint pottery or something together. Now it's difficult because we live far away, but I so wish my parents would have done that more when my kids were younger rather than giving them toys or things they didn't want or need that would end up getting thrown away or donated.
Yes. Exactly. Several years ago my oldest daughter “took me” (in quotes because I drove) to the coast for lunch & a day at the “beach” for Mother’s Day. It was one of the best gifts. It was just her & I at one of my favorite spots.

I know seems like a strange question. I mean who doesn't like getting gifts?

Well me for one. I am not into "stuff." So there is very little that I could/would ask for. I also don't like getting CASH for a gift.

Yep I am odd but I own it.

So, am I the only one? Does anyone else NOT really like getting gifts?

I wouldn't say I dislike receiving gifts per se but I am at the point in my life where I don't need more crap cluttering up the house and I like what I like. I like particular bath products and socks for example. My MIL always used to get body wash and socks and I like what I like dangit. If she wanted to get me a pack of regular Dove moisturizing bars and Fruit of the Loom ankle sport socks I would be thrilled to pieces.

Despite the rather heated thread currently on this board I do like experience gifts or consumable things. For example, our favorite restaurant does wine pairing dinners throughout the year and we are taking my parents to one for their Christmas gift. I was really hoping DH would get me Hamilton tickets for Christmas but they are much more than I am comfortable spending on a present for me especially considering the show is about 3 hours away and will likely require a night in a hotel plus meals out, etc.

For Christmas every year my aunt and uncle get us a giant tub of ice cream from a local boutique type store. That's always a huge crowd pleaser in our house. Restaurant gift certificates are always good.

Yes, I enjoy receiving gifts. I love exchanging gifts for sure. However, I should note that I am fortunate that the people in my life who do give me gifts do so with great thought and no expectation that they will receive a gift of similar value.

I can understand frustrations if people are in positions where the gift giving is done just because it’s expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter