Do you LIKE getting gifts?

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
I know seems like a strange question. I mean who doesn't like getting gifts?

Well me for one. I am not into "stuff." So there is very little that I could/would ask for. I also don't like getting CASH for a gift.

Yep I am odd but I own it.

So, am I the only one? Does anyone else NOT really like getting gifts?

Yes I like getting gifts. I also like giving gifts. It's one of my love languages. I like getting a gift when it is clear someone put thought into getting something that I would enjoy and/or need. It makes me feel loved. It is also why I have no interest in receiving money as a gift. Same for giving. I am excellent at giving gifts and look forward to seeing someone's reaction to a well-picked out gift just as much.

I suspect you'll get a lot of responses from people saying they do not like getting gifts though.

Kinda? I mean it has to be something I actually like, no correlation to cash spent. Even a teeny thing if it's actually relevant to my interest then I'll love it! Doubly so if someone handmade it.
A five second sketch of a character I like <3! 10$ pin for my pinboard <3! 5$ crystal for my desk <3!

But I had many many years I got smacked on the back of the head as a kid because I made THAT FACE when I unwrapped PJs from the aunt, or socks from grandma. Clothes are way too personal, don't ever buy me clothes that I haven't picked out myself. I think Goodwill has gotten a fortune from me in clothes other people have given me. Hopefully someone loves them.

My mother is this way. She loves getting and giving gifts. I am not a gift person. Makes zero sense to me why you should spend $100 on a gift for me when you expect me to turn around and spend $100 on a gift for you.

My brother was just scraping by and she would get offended he didn’t get her gifts. Said she gave him enough cash that he should have the money to turn around and spend it back on her. To her, it was the symbolism (and amounts mattered for this) of it. Ugh. My poor brother and SiL spent years coming up with charming, thoughtful, inexpensive gifts for her. It took me years of plain speaking to teach her to appreciate those gifts.

Then there are the sweet unexpected gifts that demand a chain reaction. Neighbor sends over some party extras. Mom starts baking cookies so the “plate doesn’t go back empty”. Neighbour sends more food. Now we have to dream up of more food to send over. The cycle continues. The kicker? Not sure if neighbour likes our food but we don’t really like theirs so most of their offerings end up in the trash anyway.

On top of all that, my mother adores giving me gifts she really likes. So I am the proud owner of many things that suit her tastes (even though she often asks and I usually tell her what I want even to the point of lengthy debates) that I now cheerfully enjoy because darn if I will hurt her feelings. Especially when she likes to lavish me with expensive gifts. Like a friend pointed out, obviously I am worth the $700 gift, not the $300 one I really wanted.

I love my Mom. And am glad my DH and I don’t exchange gifts and my kids are happy with the trinkets they get from me.

Makes zero sense to me why you should spend $100 on a gift for me when you expect me to turn around and spend $100 on a gift for you.

My thought exactly. Except for me it seemed like we were exchange "cash" or equivalent. My parents never gave me anything but cash. Birthday. Christmas. Rarely any gifts, just cash in a card. I would end up giving a Gift Card because my mom is one to just buy everything she wants. So there was never anything to buy.

One year she found my "missing" JcPenny Mickey Snowglobes and those meant way more to me than the card with $100 or $50 or whatever.

Then there are the sweet unexpected gifts that demand a chain reaction. Neighbor sends over some party extras. Mom starts baking cookies so the “plate doesn’t go back empty”. Neighbour sends more food. Now we have to dream up of more food to send over. The cycle continues. The kicker? Not sure if neighbour likes our food but we don’t really like theirs so most of their offerings end up in the trash anyway.

Yes. It’s a vicious cycle. Rush by and don’t make eye contact with the neighbours this time of year. Maybe you’ll get lucky and they’ll send their extras to another neighbour. Lol.

I dislike receiving gifts because I’m very particular about what I want, so for me personally cash gifts are best and truly appreciated.

Yes. It’s a vicious cycle. Rush by and don’t make eye contact with the neighbours this time of year. Maybe you’ll get lucky and they’ll send their extras to another neighbour. Lol.

LOL!! We actually really like our neighbours!! It was such a sweet thing for them to send some party food. Put a smile on my face. What then made it turn a bit sour for me was the feeling of obligation to turn it into a seemingly endless cycle. I would sooner have sent the plate back with a happy thank you note and then a month or two later when I had party extras, send something over.

I would completely forgo gift giving and receiving if I could. I don’t mind getting monetary gifts but I have so much stuff and don’t need anything else.

LOL!! We actually really like our neighbours!! It was such a sweet thing for them to send some party food. Put a smile on my face. What then made it turn a bit sour for me was the feeling of obligation to turn it into a seemingly endless cycle. I would sooner have sent the plate back with a happy thank you note and then a month or two later when I had party extras, send something over.
Yes. Good idea. You should do that next time. That would have been a better idea then trying to reciprocate right away. I don’t think you should feel obligated to send something immediately as a thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter