Do you know your blood type?

A-.

I agree that if you need transfusions, they run a check then and there and don't take your word for it. Too terrible an outcome if you mis-remembered or were just plain wrong about it.

I didn't love reading that "As" were more likely to have a worse coronavirus case than the other types. Whaaaat? Not fair.

Hopefully not the case! :goodvibes

I'm O-

I thought all women who had babies were typed as part of the RH thing. I know there were some things that had to happen because I'm negative, but I can't really remember what they were! I think I had a shot? Or maybe the babies did? I guess it's been 28/25 years so it's not SO terrible that I can't remember.

I'm O-

I thought all women who had babies were typed as part of the RH thing. I know there were some things that had to happen because I'm negative, but I can't really remember what they were! I think I had a shot? Or maybe the babies did? I guess it's been 28/25 years so it's not SO terrible that I can't remember.

I know I had to get a special shot after each of my sons' were born.

I'm O-

They gave me a shot during each pregnancy. In addition, I had to get a shot after I delivered my first, which is why I'm certain she is Rh+. I didn't get one after my second, so she's either Rh- or someone screwed up, LOL. I guess it doesn't matter since she was my last.

The Rh factor is a protein that can be found on the surface of red blood cells. If your blood cells have this protein, you are Rh positive. If your blood cells do not have this protein, you are Rh negative. During pregnancy, problems can occur if you are Rh negative and your fetus is Rh positive. Treatment can be given to prevent these problems.

When the blood of an Rh-positive fetus gets into the bloodstream of an Rh-negative woman, her body will recognize that the Rh-positive blood is not hers. Her body will try to destroy it by making anti-Rh antibodies. These antibodies can cross the placenta and attack the fetus’s blood cells. This can lead to serious health problems, even death, for a fetus or a newborn.

https://www.acog.org/womens-health/faqs/the-rh-factor-how-it-can-affect-your-pregnancy

So the whole A verses O for covid is what got me curious and neither DH nor myself knew our blood type. We did however know DD10 was O+ because she was a preemie and had several blood transfusions and we found it in her medical history.

We do not donate blood because we are both Type 1 diabetic, so we ordered those at home tests from where else... Amazon. For $8 we both learned we are A+. Which honestly made my heart sink with the Covid info, but I've had a few medical friends repeatedly remind me this is all new and there is likely not enough research to confirm that.

The at home tests are super easy as long as you are comfortable poking your finger for the sample - we both do it multiple times a day so it wasn't a big deal here. I had planned to ask our dr to confirm it next time we had labs done but I didn't realize it was expensive or often discouraged.

O+ at age 56 I still have my immunization booklet from childhoods. It’s actually interesting to go back and see at what age you received your immunizations and boosters.

O+

I donate often but didn't know until I started donating - I took all the sciences in HS except Bio so never got to test myself.

The Rh factor is a protein that can be found on the surface of red blood cells. If your blood cells have this protein, you are Rh positive. If your blood cells do not have this protein, you are Rh negative. During pregnancy, problems can occur if you are Rh negative and your fetus is Rh positive. Treatment can be given to prevent these problems.

When the blood of an Rh-positive fetus gets into the bloodstream of an Rh-negative woman, her body will recognize that the Rh-positive blood is not hers. Her body will try to destroy it by making anti-Rh antibodies. These antibodies can cross the placenta and attack the fetus’s blood cells. This can lead to serious health problems, even death, for a fetus or a newborn.

https://www.acog.org/womens-health/faqs/the-rh-factor-how-it-can-affect-your-pregnancy

Thank you for posting this. I had a vague memory of the details of the RH- and pregnancy. I think I only had the shot after delivery with my first, but not entirely sure. If I’m right about that my oldest would be O+ and my younger two are O-.

We started donating blood as young adults looking for free Renaissance Faire tickets in Tuxedo NY. Good times :) The nightly show ends with a big jousting match. It's awesome. One time when DS was 15months the winner scooped him up over his head and paraded around the arena in victory.

Actually I don’t know. I asked my doctor recently and he said it’s kind of expensive to type blood so I would be better off giving blood to find out. In college we were supposed to type our own blood in a lab but I was too chicken to stick myself. I have had surgeries so it should be in my records but it is not.
If you’ve had major surgeries then you were typed and cross matched at the hospital(s), which is routine in case you need blood quickly. It wouldn’t necessarily be in your medical record, but if you check with the Blood Bank of the hospital where you had your surgery, it might be on record there, though they would still re-do it for future surgeries.

So the whole A verses O for covid is what got me curious and neither DH nor myself knew our blood type. We did however know DD10 was O+ because she was a preemie and had several blood transfusions and we found it in her medical history.

We do not donate blood because we are both Type 1 diabetic, so we ordered those at home tests from where else... Amazon. For $8 we both learned we are A+. Which honestly made my heart sink with the Covid info, but I've had a few medical friends repeatedly remind me this is all new and there is likely not enough research to confirm that.

The at home tests are super easy as long as you are comfortable poking your finger for the sample - we both do it multiple times a day so it wasn't a big deal here. I had planned to ask our dr to confirm it next time we had labs done but I didn't realize it was expensive or often discouraged.

it doesn’t matter what blood type you have If you do the right thing and don’t get covid. They say o is the better blood type to have for covid. I’m o but I’m still going to do the right thing and not get covid.

it doesn’t matter what blood type you have If you do the right thing and don’t get covid. They say o is the better blood type to have for covid. I’m o but I’m still going to do the right thing and not get covid.
You can do the right thing and still get the virus. When people say these things it implies that someone who contracted the virus didn't do the right thing and that's why. In the famous words "that's not how this works".

It's more about taking precautions and making sure you're doing basic health things like hand washing, usage of hand sanitizer if you cannot wash your hands, and these days wearing a mask, trying not to touch your face unless you've just washed your hands, etc which reduce your likelihood of getting it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter