Do you have a "home resort" or do you like to mix it up?

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
If you go to Disney frequently, do you tend to stay at the same resort every time? Which one, and why?

For a while I had a "goal" to stay at each resort at least once, before I stayed at any one resort for a second time.
Well, that didn't work out because after I'd stayed at many, I started finding that budget, availability, and convenience (for whatever specific reason I was going to Disney) sometimes made it easier to stay at a resort I had already been to.
But for now, I think my eventual "home resort" to be BWI. The location, the theme...it all just feels so perfect to me.

Prior to having children we stayed at ASSP. It really came to budget because as a childless married couple we would go and go hard at the theme parks literally just sleeping at the resort. So we didn't need anything extra. Now this November will be our first trip since having children. We are once again staying at ASSP. We did it for free dining this time as the dates happened to fall on when we planned on going anyways.

We are DVC members at Wilderness Lodge for 17 years....and have stayed there one time....we stay almost exclusively at Old Key West. Absolutely love it

Another DVC member here, we love mixing it up and are happy to stay just about anywhere our points take us. :earsboy:

We are DVC owners as well. But we bought at BCV because that is where we want to be.
I have been happy with other Villas, but BCV is Home.

Last edited:
The only resort I've stayed at more than once is POR, which feels a little homey since it was my first on property.
My favorite resort has been Wilderness Lodge and I've been wanting to return, but my recent trips haven't really worked out for it (one, construction, two, a trip was heavily Epcot-focused...)
This summer I will stay at Polynesian and Beach Club, both for the first time. Curious to see if either of those trump WL or if since I'll have tried all the resorts I truly want to try, I'll be content to just stay at the WL moving forward.

Pre-DVC, we stayed at POR almost every time. Now we have about 3 resorts we switch among, depending on the time of year, purpose of our visit. For example, BCV for the Food and Wine, OKW when resting/vacationing is our primary focus. AKV at a time of year that we might not of to the parks as much.

As you can tell by my signature, we haven't stayed at any resort twice yet. We like trying something new every time.

Our goal too is to stay at as many of the WDW resorts as we can. But we have stayed at POR twice now. The first time we were in a mansion in Magnolia Bend and one evening my wife and I decided to take a horse carriage ride. The driver took us through Alligator Bayou and we both new that the next trip to WDW we would have to stay in one of the rooms there. We enjoyed our stay there, really like the theme with all the shrubs and trees surrounding the walkways.

My favorite resort is WL and my wife likes the Poly. Next trip I would like to stay long enough to make it worth our time to do a split stay. Starting out at a resort we have not stayed at and finishing up in either the Poly or WL. We haven't been to either since the rehab of them.

If you go to Disney frequently, do you tend to stay at the same resort every time? Which one, and why?

For a while I had a "goal" to stay at each resort at least once, before I stayed at any one resort for a second time.
Well, that didn't work out because after I'd stayed at many, I started finding that budget, availability, and convenience (for whatever specific reason I was going to Disney) sometimes made it easier to stay at a resort I had already been to.
But for now, I think my eventual "home resort" to be BWI. The location, the theme...it all just feels so perfect to me.
We like variety, so we tend to stay at different resorts. Time of year also comes into play: some resorts are better for swimming than others.

That said, Animal Kingdom Lodge is my overall favorite.

I have the same goal you had and I also agree with budget issues AND BW is one of my favorites too! We also lived in FL for 8 years so we would often go for a night or two and use hotels.com to get AMAZING last minute deals on resorts off property.

So far tho, I have not stayed at any one resort twice:
ASMovies
ASSports
Pop
CSR
BW
BC
OKW

I thought we would also try all the resorts at WDW but after trying Pop for one night, never again. The room was small and dark (probably ground floor didn't help) and the deal breaker was the bed. It was uncomfortable and so uncomfortable to a point that I was up all night. Even my DS who sleeps like dead said that he woke up several times because the bed was comfortable. We've tried POFQ, POR, BC, YC, BWI, AKL, CR, and Wilderness along with Swan and Dolphin. I think for our family, BC/YC is our favorite and our home resort because of proximity to the parks and their awesome pool. We will be staying for 4th time at BC/YC and probably many more.

Pre-DVC, the Contemporary. Now it's OKW, but we still get our Contemporary "fix" with occasional stays at BLT (where we have a smaller contract).

Mix it up, for lots of reasons. Time of year. If it's summer, we like to be at a deluxe with a good pool, like BC. Length of stay. Shorter (2-day) stays we like to do the Contemporary to be as close to MK as possible since that's the only park we visit those days. Budget. For longer trips, we'll do a split-stay with the first half at a value to make the trip fit our budget. Sometimes we just pick a resort because we've never stayed there and want to try it out. This summer will be our first stay at BWI, and we're really excited!

I also have a goal of staying at all of them. And we have hit many: All Star Sports, Pop, AoA, Cabins at FW, POFQ, POR, CBR, BWI, YC, AKL, and CR. But I keep going back to AKL. It just feels like home. The smell, the decor, the landscaping, the food, the animals.... I just love it. Not sure why it feels like home. I'm a southern gal from East Tennessee. Still, I am so happy at AKL.

It seems like we get the most value for money when we stay standard there, also.

I'm returning to Pop again this summer because it was just more appealing than the other values since I'll be staying solo. Also, I had a great stay at Pop previously, and I hope to get a renovated room.

One day I'm sure I'll have stayed at all of them, but I'll have quite a few more AKL visits before that time.

I would love to see them all... but I know my DH well. As far as he is concerned, he says he needs a toilet, a shower, and a bed. *sigh* So I have no idea how I would justify the price of the deluxe resorts.

At least he really likes POFQ and would consider that his "home" resort. I was very worried about staying on-property for our 1st Trip this past January, but he took right to the theming!

My kids and I like to mix it up when my budget permits, but when it doesn't, AS Sports is our "home" resort. This summer trip will be super special - half our nights will be AKL. We were able to spend 1 night there a few years back, but my kids barely remember it. They are so excited to get 5 nights there this year. And truth be told, so am I!

I've been mixing it up lately with my son. I've stayed at many resorts and some repeats but the past 4 times in the last 3 years, we've done many different resorts (I like to do split stays). We just did Pop last week for the first time and I'm pretty sure it's my new "home". We have to take a break for a year and a half due to buying a house but next November, we will probably be going back to Pop. We liked it a lot.

As you can see by the signature we have stayed at a decent number of resorts. Our all time favorite is GF, which surprised both DW and I, we just thought we would not like it as much. But with that said our "home resort" would be POFQ, we truely like everything about it, including the $$$ saved over the deluxes, which just about pays for all our APs:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter