Do You Eat Organic?

Everything I described describes California too. It's even worse out there because they have an agribusiness organic lobby that defends these practices with an almost religious ferver.
Raw Milk? Yet another scam.

The facts.
1. Pasteurization does not eliminate or destroy any nutrient that milk is a good source of.
Fats, lactose. These are unaffected.
Proteins and minerals, these are unaffected.
Vitamin A. Actually increased by pasteurization.
Vitamin's B1, B12, C, and E are indeed reduced by pasteurization. But no matter. Milk is not a good source for these to begin with.
Vitamin D, contrary to myth of the raw milk advocates, it was never in there to begin with. Pasteurization did not eliminate it. It was fortified along with several other things way back because of rickets.
Lactobacillis. Our bodies produce it naturally. We don't need to get it from Milk.

2. Without qualification, Raw Milk is more dangerous than is Pasteurized. About 80% of reports of tainted milk caused sicknesses, hospitalizations, and death to the CDC involve Raw Milk or products made with it. Just 20% involve Pasteurized. And Pasteurized share of the market dwarfs that of raw. It isn't a huge risk., nor even a big one. It has been so far a small one. Will it remain so if raw milk gains any sort of share in the market though? Anyway it's a risk that doesn't have to be taken given virtually no benefit. T
3. Raw milk has not been scientifically shown to prevent, nor cure any disease. None.
This whole idea that exposing one to more stuff makes the body immune is well not a good one. That is essentially what Vaccines do. If Raw milk truly inocculated against the things its advocates say it does, some enterprising company would have made a vaccine with it long ago.

If you’ve ever been to a dairy farm you’d never, ever drink raw milk.

That is one good thing about living in California, we get to see the animals & the farms.
We only buy grass fed/ grass finished beef.

Grass fed beef is interesting. I grew up here in Sacramento where the grocery stores made a big deal of corn fed beef.

And even today, Morton's, Ruth Chris and other top steak houses promote that they only serve grain fed beef.

Why do you prefer grass fed beef?

How much of the organic food from China do you think is actually organic? They supply a substantial amount of organics.

Organic doesn’t mean it hasn’t been sprayed with chemicals. The chemicals just need to be naturally occurring. Rotenone (which is highly toxic) was a pesticide that could be used on organic crops. Pyrethrin is also allowed.

http://npic.orst.edu/ingred/organic.html

lol - thanks for MAKING my point! From your website.
Research has demonstrated that organic fruits and vegetables have smaller amounts of pesticide residue than produce that was grown conventionally.

Grass fed beef is interesting. I grew up here in Sacramento where the grocery stores made a big deal of corn fed beef.

And even today, Morton's, Ruth Chris and other top steak houses promote that they only serve grain fed beef.

I prefer grass fed because beef cattle get sick eating corn. Hence, why they are fed drugs. Cows are not meant to eat corn. They get fat a hell of lot faster, which is why they are fed corn. And, they can eat it in a feed lot setting. But, it's not because it's "good" for the cows. And, of course the big steak houses use corn fed. It's because the meat is fattier....which given most people's preference, makes it "better" (we Americans seem to love our fat). I think cows should be fed what they are meant to eat. I don't think we should make them sick just because we have a fat preference. I eat meat. Not a vegetarian. But, I do think it's wrong to subject animals to unnecessary abuse.

To add to what mnrose said when cows eat grass the fat will contain omega 3 fatty acids. Just like fish, they eat grass too,hence the omega 3. But if their farmed and are fed corn and soy feed then their fat will be omega 6 fatty acid. 6 doesn't have the anti-inflammatory properties, omega 3 does. We haven't even talked about the fact the corn and soy fed to cows and other animals fed to animals in feed lots is GMO.

When we eat too much omega 6 fat, which is the type in corn and soy it competes with the same digestion enzymes in our body. In the American diet most people get more omega 6 enzymes. We need more omega 3 and less omega 6, but when animals don't eat what they are supposed to eat we get 6.
Grass fed meat also has micro-nutrients in it from the grass that corn feed doesn't. Omega 3 fats lower insulin levels. Eating healthy fat will actually make you lose excess fat because it lowers insulin levels in the body. You will also feel fuller and not crave refined sugar which is another story.
These fats won't oxidize as easily when heated up like canola oil, vege oil. Oxidized substances will continue to oxidize in your body.

I eat raw butter, raw milk avacado, cook with canola oil, pasture raised organic eggs & chicken. uncured meats, grass fed beef, and wild fish, local organic fruits and veges, pink himilayan salt, and fresh herbs for spices. If I don't know the source I don't eat it.
I cook all my own food from scratch, & I work 2 jobs, about 55 hours a week. It is expensive
I brought my son up this way and he's feeding his 3 boys this way.

We can only try our best, If organic foods are grown in soil that has been used for conventional gardening beforehand, then those chemicals stay in the soil for about 20 years. So I guess one never knows, do they?

Once you get used to the taste of pure food from the earth that you know the source of you won't want to eat processed, or restaurant food. I feel like I'm eating poison when I eat that stuff. Like others have said you have to know the source for it to count. I know this isn't possible in a lot of places. If more people bought their food this way it would force the food industry to do something about it. Sadly, not too many seem to care.

I've been eating this way for years and at 55 I have just as much energy as when I was 25. People can't believe it. My blood pressure is on the lower side of the scale. I am however sensitive, to alcohol which is what happens when people eat so pure. I've learned the hard way in my body alcohol = dehydration especially when flying.

If anyone is interested in learning more pm me and I can point you in the right direction.

My best friend growing up lived on a dairy farm and they didn't even drink raw milk.
If your friend used the right practices on the farm I don't see why the milk wouldn't be delicious. I've been drinking it daily for years.I can't stand the taste of pasteurized milk.

tGrass-fed organic milk from cows raised on pasture contain healthy bacteria that is good for your gut. It also has beneficial raw fats, amino acids and proteins that are 100 percent digestible. It also contains many enzymes, I think over 60 if I remember correctly that are destroyed during pasteurization. Pasteurized milk is harder to digest. It also contains vit. A,B, C, D, E and K and minerals that are easily absorbed. I'm sure Im forgetting all the benefits of raw milk and cheese.

I could go on and on about it, but I'll stop here and go pour myself a glass of raw milk!

How much of the organic food from China do you think is actually organic? They supply a substantial amount of organics.
I don't eat anything from china or Mexico, or anywhere else but local in season.... Non local 99.9 % of the time sends me right to the bathroom if you know what i mean.

I prefer grass fed because beef cattle get sick eating corn. Hence, why they are fed drugs. Cows are not meant to eat corn. They get fat a hell of lot faster, which is why they are fed corn. And, they can eat it in a feed lot setting. But, it's not because it's "good" for the cows. And, of course the big steak houses use corn fed. It's because the meat is fattier....which given most people's preference, makes it "better" (we Americans seem to love our fat). I think cows should be fed what they are meant to eat. I don't think we should make them sick just because we have a fat preference. I eat meat. Not a vegetarian. But, I do think it's wrong to subject animals to unnecessary abuse.
Feed grain in Alberta is mostly barley mixed with silage pellets; corn is apparently used in other regions where the growing season is longer and it's more readily available. The only times I've ever had corn-fed beef is in the States. Compared to animals that are mostly grass and silage fed, corn-finished meat is a weird, purplish colour and has an unpleasant mushy texture (not tender as we know it - just really untoned somehow).

To add to what mnrose said when cows eat grass the fat will contain omega 3 fatty acids. Just like fish,.

Nope. Not like fish. Grass fed beef averages 80 mg of Omega 3s per 3.5 oz serving. Now that is double corn fed beef at 40. However it isn't even close to what is in he same 3.5 oz portion of Salmon which contains 1000-2000 mg per 3.5 oz serving depending on variety.

If someone is concerned about their Omega 3s, they should be eating Salmon, not beef, Grass fed or otherwise.

You have to eat 43-86 ounces of grass fed to equal a 3.5 oz piece of Salmon depending on variety. Maybe Molly here might want to order some grass fed. It would make a difference for her.

Last edited:
Nope. Not like fish. Grass fed beef averages 80 mg of Omega 3s per 3.5 oz serving. Now that is double corn fed beef at 40. However it isn't even close to what is in he same 3.5 oz portion of Salmon which contains 1000-2000 mg per 3.5 oz serving depending on variety.

If someone is concerned about their Omega 3s, they should be eating Salmon, not beef, Grass fed or otherwise.

True, very true but some eat one or the other. I personally have been allergic to fish, and shellfish since I was born. I have to get my 3's from beef, nuts etc. I still cook it for my family though

I actually avoid buying anything labeled as "organic". If I'm going to pay a premium price for something, I'd like there to at least be a demonstrable benefit. But I have to admit that it's brilliant marketing.

I'm also not a big fan of companies using "virtue signalling" as a means of trying and imply that their products are morally or physically superior. To me, Panera is one of the worst offenders in this area with their whole "clean food" campaign. I love the implication that their competitors serve "dirty food". What a bunch of Bull Cookies.

Feed grain in Alberta is mostly barley mixed with silage pellets; corn is apparently used in other regions where the growing season is longer and it's more readily available. The only times I've ever had corn-fed beef is in the States. Compared to animals that are mostly grass and silage fed, corn-finished meat is a weird, purplish colour and has an unpleasant mushy texture (not tender as we know it - just really untoned somehow).

I haven't noticed a difference in beef, but Canadian milk sure tastes better. Of course, given that my mom the nurse always bought non-fat milk, and my Aunts always bought whole milk could be part of the reason!

I haven't noticed a difference in beef, but Canadian milk sure tastes better. Of course, given that my mom the nurse always bought non-fat milk, and my Aunts always bought whole milk could be part of the reason!
Gonna have to go with this as the real reason, but I'm sure Canadian cows appreciate the kudos anyway! :wave2:

When cows were given BGH regularly I did buy organic milk, but that is no longer necessary.
The irony here is that milk from cows given rBST is literally indistinguishable from cows that have not treated with the product. While it's true that rBST can cause a slight increase in a the levels of IGF-1 (Insulin-like growth factor 1) hormone found in milk from a given cow, the nature levels of IGF-1 in cows milk varies widely from breed, or from cow to cow and even varies within a given cow based on where it is in their lactation cycle. Therefore, it's not hard to find "organic" milk that has higher levels of "hormones" in it that a given gallon from a cow treated with rBST. It only the case that "on average" the IGF-1 levels in rBST-treated cows is slightly higher than those that are not treated.

One other somewhat gross irony with this "controversy", is that pretty much all tissues and bodily fluids contain IGF-1. This includes "organic" milk (which is why milk in stores may not legally be labelled "Hormone Free!!!")... and our saliva. In fact, most people ingest more IGF-1 per day from their own saliva than from milk (regardless of its rBST status).

I actually avoid buying anything labeled as "organic". If I'm going to pay a premium price for something, I'd like there to at least be a demonstrable benefit. But I have to admit that it's brilliant marketing.

I'm also not a big fan of companies using "virtue signalling" as a means of trying and imply that their products are morally or physically superior. To me, Panera is one of the worst offenders in this area with their whole "clean food" campaign. I love the implication that their competitors serve "dirty food". What a bunch of Bull Cookies.

Panera. A case study in how to charge double for your soup, sandwich, or salad, and get away with it. Although nobody can beat $3-$5 for a 50 cent cup of Joe.

Their Cobblestone muffins are a good value though. And they're tasty

For the most part we eat organic. Like someone said upthread, if the organic bell pepper looks gross, I’ll still buy the conventional one. I also will eat out and buy non-organic items as treats or because an organic option just doesn’t exist. Buying local and knowing where the food was coming from would be nice, but I most definitely do not have time for that. I’m sure it would be more straight forward other places, but it would be quite the ordeal here.

We spend a decent amount on groceries, but don’t eat out much, so we’re probably breaking even next to most other people. We also don’t eat as large of a portion for something like meat, which also saves money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter