Do You Eat Organic?

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
I always buy organic everything, mostly make my own everything from scratch. We are lucky here that there is a lot of organic cafe's restaurants, farmers markets. That's the best part of living in California, the freshness of the local foods, produce, grass fed meats, pasture raised organic eggs.
The price is outrageous though. Anyone else buy organic?

I always buy organic everything, mostly make my own everything from scratch. We are lucky here that there is a lot of organic cafe's restaurants, farmers markets. That's the best part of living in California, the freshness of the local foods, produce, grass fed meats, pasture raised organic eggs.
The price is outrageous though. Anyone else buy organic?
NO but I do go to an expensive fruit and veg store in Australia. Hate Whole Food though

We but a lot of organic. Not 109%. Prices aren’t that bad compared. What we avoid is meat that is mass produced. Recently tried free range pork. Awesome. I think we have lost a taste of what food should taste like. My mom always says meat today smells different and waters a lot conpared to back then.

And the whole organic is bad for the environment thing I don’t buy. Sure it uses more water and there are losses due to pests . But in my opinion I’d rather have more land used for crop rotation then build a strip mall. Pesticides are running our environment more look at the bee communities.

I buy some organic products but not everything. I try with the things identified as the dirtiest. Some things I believe are completely unnecessary to buy organic. I do buy grass fed beef when I actually buy meat. I don't even eat it but it is healthier than grain fed and that's important for me when feeding my family. I also buy free range eggs for humane reasons.

We eat outside the house so couldn't be 100% organic anyway.

We do as often as we can. I buy organic any fruit that we eat whole (strawberries, apples, etc). For fruits whose skin we do not eat (bananas, watermelon, etc) I buy conventional. I also buy organic meat.

I still buy conventional “junk” (Doritos, etc).

We buy organic root vegetables, as they absorb the most pesticides (being as they are the roots, lol!) so organic carrots, etc. Having 2 biochemists and 1 bioinformatics doctoral candidate in the family, we are in tune with the most recent research and data.

No. DW and I are very much into health/nutrition and bodybuilding, but we think the whole "organic" thing is an absolute waste of money. We eat healthy, yes, very much so. But no need to buy the "organic" stuff.

I buy organic often, but not 100% of the time. If I need a bell pepper and the organic ones look terrible (or aren't even there), I don't have a problem getting a conventional one. I don't like the idea of consuming (even trace) amounts of pesticides if I can easily avoid it. Plus the whole mass fertilizer run-off creating the "dead zone" in the gulf of Mexico bothers me.

No, but its up to you. I care to much about the environment to want to support that type of farming. I don't buy into marketing hype either. I prefer to just support local farmers when I can.
::yes:: Agree and I think food sourcing is much more important that organic certification. There are lots of small local producers that farm using what are essentially "organic" methods but here to be certified-organic requires jumping through all sorts of regulatory and administrative hoops and paying for costly permits and inspections. It isn't viable for many. Coming from a farm myself, I'm familiar enough with the practices that I'd buy from any small, local producer and feel fine about it.

As far as meat goes, I try to be really careful to only buy Canadian as our beef, poultry and pork have to be 100% free of hormones and antibiotics to be sold. Grass fed isn't really an option because our seasons are short and getting into whether or not an animal has been fed GMO grain is a losing battle but besides that, I'm comfortable. It's relatively easy to avoid imported fresh meat but I am extremely cautious about frozen, pre-cooked and packaged stuff. The idea of fish from Asia or poultry products from India skeeve me out.

Last edited:
Whenever I can I do. It is not "hype" to want to eat things that have not been sprayed/injected with chemicals.
My body is a temple that I am not always nice to - hello yummy wine, hello yummy nachos - so eating things without hormones, or antibiotics or pesticides makes my body happy.

No, but the fanfare around how much better it is than eating a "regular" fruit, veggie, or whatever else is a lot of hype. If you're eating a lot of junk food, that's going to do more harm than buying an "organic" cucumber than a regular one.

No. I prefer to buy in season and local. I make virtually everything from scratch so very few processed foods. A bag of Kettle chips every 6 months is one processed thing that I can think of. I roast my own red peppers, make my own chicken stock, cook dried beans and can them, etc. I am picky about the meat I buy. I only buy shrimp fresh off the dock that day that are caught in the Gulf.

But my DH almost always buys organic bananas. One of the least likely fruits to have pesticides - why? Because he comes to them first in the produce aisle and doesn't have to walk over a couple of aisles.

No. I have a Ph.D. in chemistry and do my best to keep up on the research on what is and is not dangerous for consumption, as well as what's best for the environment. So we aren't currently buying anything exclusively organic, but we are buying mostly locally-sourced food to cut down on resource waste.

When cows were given BGH regularly I did buy organic milk, but that is no longer necessary. And I do avoid certain plasticizers but not all of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!