Do you carry your phone at home?

NotUrsula

DIS Veteran
On a recent Disney trip, DH discovered the step-tracking app on his iPhone, & overnight, turned into a manic step-counter. Then we came home.

He quickly realized that in order to track his steps here, he would have to carry the phone all the time, which he refuses to do when at home, so the step-tracking stopped.

The whole topic made me wonder, how many people actually carry a mobile phone around the house, vs. parking it on a charger at home.

So, are you a carrier, or a parker, and why?

No. I put it down on the credenza when I come in at night and pick it up again in the morning on my way out the door. With the ringer on I can hear it and will check it (eventually) if I get an alert but I'm definitely not glued to it in any way. I only actually use it for calls and texting; no apps, no web-surfing. I use my lap-top, iPad and landline when I'm home.

Mine is aleays in my hand room to room. Sad actually when you think about. But. I am typing this right now from my phone while sitting in my kitchen waiting for my noodles to cook. Had I left this in the charger in the living room I would have to walk about 30 steps to go get it our house is pretty large. That’s why I always have it with me plus I call at the kids upstairs with it as they can’t hear me yell for them from the kitchen.

On a recent Disney trip, DH discovered the step-tracking app on his iPhone, & overnight, turned into a manic step-counter. Then we came home.

He quickly realized that in order to track his steps here, he would have to carry the phone all the time, which he refuses to do when at home, so the step-tracking stopped.

The whole topic made me wonder, how many people actually carry a mobile phone around the house, vs. parking it on a charger at home.

So, are you a carrier, or a parker, and why?
When I'm home, it's on the side table next to where I sit. At night, when turned off, that's where I plug in to charge it.

It's either in the same room with me or with me.

Use apps and disboards on it. All. The. Time. Dh watches tv that I don't. So I look around on my phone.

I've got 2 20 somethings at college 5 hours away and a 17 year old.

They text, instead of call, and I want to receive the messages promptly.

Yesterday, the 20 year olds were traveling from MILs house 4 hours from their town and the power steering was going out in our son's auto. Wanted to be able to know right away, if he needed anything.

Use it for recipes.

Other mother in law just now texted to invite DH and I to lunch tomorrow.

Our 17 year old is away on a Mission trip with a new to her chronic medical issue. Want to hear from her ASAP if she needs anything.

And my Fitbit is older and has had syncing issues in the past. So I want it to sync as often as possible. Working on getting steps today to beat my numbers last week. So I am walking the house and on my phone while I get steps.

I have call relay/forwarding on my devices so my iPad will ring if my phone is in another room.

Typically I’ll leave my phone in a central location like the kitchen island unless I’m expecting an important call then I will carry it. If I’m going upstairs for more time than say it takes to take a shower or fold some laundry I’ll take it with me. At bedtime it’s on the end table since it’s also my alarm clock. Now that I have an Apple Watch I tend to carry the phone less and less and a lot of the time have no idea where my phone is.

Before the Apple Watch I used a FitBit for steps. Using the phone never worked for me because I didn’t want to carry it around all the time.

DH and DS are “leavers” at home. Both DDs are “carriers.”

My phone is generally always with me. I work at home and it sits on my desk, I'll leave it there if I'm just pushing laundry through or something or running to the bathroom, but otherwise it's on me.

Except at night, refuse to have it in my room at night, so its in the kitchen on the charger then.

Mine us usually with me while I'm home, but often I'm listening to a podcast or audiobook while I putter about the house and yard.

Mine is aleays in my hand room to room. Sad actually when you think about. But. I am typing this right now from my phone while sitting in my kitchen waiting for my noodles to cook. Had I left this in the charger in the living room I would have to walk about 30 steps to go get it our house is pretty large. That’s why I always have it with me plus I call at the kids upstairs with it as they can’t hear me yell for them from the kitchen.
We use our phones as “intercoms” too. We have Echo Dots all over now so I tend to use Alexa more but I still throw the occasional text upstairs.

For step counting I would also recommend a fitness bracelet of whatever kind you'd want.

But in relation to the general question it's often somewhere near me but not in my hand at all times. Only difference is if I'm using our bluetooth speaker we have or the Echo (I use that a lot when I'm doing the dishes) where I'll bring my phone right by me so I can change the songs whenever I want (or the music app). The Echo sometimes has issues with that or I want to skip a ton of songs on the playlist and talking to the Echo at that point becomes impractical.

In terms of chargers my phone is only attached to the charger when it needs to be charged otherwise it just sits somewhere near-ish in relation to me.

My phone is usually nearby. I am currently working on losing weight. I have an Apple Watch which is great for tracking my steps and my exercise.

At home, I don't carry my phone around. I'll leave it in a fairly central location if I'm not using it. My house is small, so I can usually hear it if I get a text (we do have a landline, and I don't often get calls on my cell), and I now also wear a Garmin watch that lets me know of texts/calls/etc. That seems to stay connected pretty much anywhere in the house. I just checked the last few days of steps on my phone vs. my Garmin, and I'm usually about 2000 or so fewer on my phone.

It’s always within arms reach, except when I’m in the bathroom. I REFUSE to take my phone there and won’t talk to anyone who’s texting me while in the bathroom.

I have two people who need me available 24/7 so, for now, I am. It’s a different story when I’m at work.

I also carry it for safety. If I’m home alone, and I fall down the stairs or something, I need a phone to call for help.

We don’t have a landline either.

My lives in the car because I can't get any coverage inside the house. So I only use it when I'm out and about. We only use the landline at home.

It's usually within reach. Especially when I'm on call...I'm so paranoid about missing or sleeping through a call!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter