Do we have a thread for first-time 2007 Half Walkers? Should we start one?

Hi everyone! I was so excited yesterday morning for those that were doing the 1/2. It brought back some great memories from our wonderful WISH 2005 Team! Finances, unfortunately, are keeping me from doing the Disneyland 1/2 (which I really, really want to do) and the 2007 1/2. But, my DH and my DBIL are looking to do the full in 2008. I've committed to a 1/2 in Niagara Falls in October of this year, so I'm glad that so many of you want to keep a training thread for all of our upcoming races. It made training so much easier when we had our weekly thread to check in on. So I'll be around this year, and will be with you all in spirit next January. :goodvibes

When the original WISH'ers considered the 2005 1/2, it was before summer of 2003 -- we had more than 18 months to train ... and boy, did THAT go by fast!

Looking forward to the weekly training threads! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Mary-Liz

I really want to do the 1/2 next year, as well as the DLand in Sept. I'm praying that my weird mammogram is nothing so I can do this. This week will tell the tale, at least in part. Praying I get to join you!

Julie-- I'm praying for you too!! I hope everything turns out well! I know you'll be able to join everyone at both races this year!!!!!!!!!

sending many prayers with Julie.........

KAREN!! I LOVE this upbeat tone in your voice!!! you sound so,well what's the right word ..... UPBEAT!!

i'm considering but haven't talked serious serious with DH; last time we talked he said go for it and mom and I started making our trip plan :) hehehe if i come in 2007 i want to be sure to hit the post-race party; we were thinking fri - tues

i emailed arthritis.org today to get infor for 'Joints in Motion' which is their program like Cancer society's team in training

i must not peek in here too much or i'll get all excited and such :rolleyes: :teeth:

ohMom said:
sending many prayers with Julie.........

KAREN!! I LOVE this upbeat tone in your voice!!! you sound so,well what's the right word ..... UPBEAT!!

i'm considering but haven't talked serious serious with DH; last time we talked he said go for it and mom and I started making our trip plan :) hehehe if i come in 2007 i want to be sure to hit the post-race party; we were thinking fri - tues

i emailed arthritis.org today to get infor for 'Joints in Motion' which is their program like Cancer society's team in training

i must not peek in here too much or i'll get all excited and such :rolleyes: :teeth:

Peek Molli, Peek !!!

You gotta come! Lots of us a retruning -CherylinWI is coming, Kimmy's gonna be there- check out the 2005 thread for WISHWalkers- we're starting to relist! I'm bringing a new crew along too- some GREAT folks from the DDA board. You and your mom HAVE TO BE THERE... COME ON GIRLIE- we need ya!!!!

oh look here i am again

i mentioned to DH last night, he told me if I could go for $1,000 then I could GO!

now if you know me I can go for that! then he slipped in, not letting Mom slip my anything! huh! well i'm sure if it's a matter of my eating lunch or not .....LOL

Mom is having her GB out today (laproscopy) but we'll talk about it soon and i'm going to do some budgeting researching this week. i can't believe the registration alone is $90! that is outrageous, for the privelge of waking up at 3 a.m and walking 13.1 miles!

ohMom said:
oh look here i am again

i mentioned to DH last night, he told me if I could go for $1,000 then I could GO!

now if you know me I can go for that! then he slipped in, not letting Mom slip my anything! huh! well i'm sure if it's a matter of my eating lunch or not .....LOL

Mom is having her GB out today (laproscopy) but we'll talk about it soon and i'm going to do some budgeting researching this week. i can't believe the registration alone is $90! that is outrageous, for the privelge of waking up at 3 a.m and walking 13.1 miles!
I would say that would mean you can *definitel* be there! I think there are plenty of ways you can get down to Florida for under $1000!!!

I hope the laproscopy goes well!!

Yeah Molli! I think you will be there for sure!!
Give your mom hugs from me and tell her I hope she gets getter FAST so she can start training with you!

Molly give mom a hug for me and wish her a speedy but healthy recovery.

Although I will not walk and will be running the 2007 1/2 I thought I would just stop by and kick my shoes off because you guys will be seeing me post here a lot. I'm so pumped for the 2007 I could burst. I'm getting back in the swing of running. The weather here in Wash DC is great all week (60's) so I'm going to take full advantage of the weather and get some good running in. The 2007 marathon will be here before we know it!

Also, My friend bought me one of those Garmin Forerunner GPS watches for runners as a Christmas present. If you can afford one go and purchase one. It is a great tool for training and will help during the actual marathon. I used it for the first time yesterday for my two mile run and was in awe about how great it works.

Sign me up!! Now I just need to find the $90 to register :rotfl2:

For everyone that did the marathon and half marathon last weekend, congrats to you. It was so cold down here, I barely finished the 5k. But I did it in 37:18 and felt good to accomplish something.

Take the advice and train. I have been working out for 2 years and consider myself in good shape. I didn't take alot of time to train for the 5k and boy did my body feel it. Even if you are going to try to walk it, you still need to train your body (especially if you want to move the next day).

OK, this might be a silly question and I might be computer illiterate, but where do I go to register for the 2007 Half? I tried to figure it out on the Disney website, but found nothing.
Thanks!
Jana

still lurking, ummm......not really lurking posting without a cause??

mom and i have a tentative ressies at the Swan for fri 1/5/07 - tues 1/9/07. not sure she realizes it! LOL

i haven't registered yet, why do i have cold feet? i will feel much more confident after i earn pengiun medal #2 in April :teeth:

thank you on mom's behalf for all your prayers and PD and well-wishes for her recovery -- surgery went very well and she is on the road to recovery. today she TM for a mile in 17 mins which i think is awesome noting she had a scapel in her tummy just three days ago! seriously, all is well for her and on her way....................

GREAT news about Bev ... thanks Molli for keeping us posted. I guess her mile on the TM today officially marks her beginning of training for next year ... whether she knows it yet or not! ;)

MaryLiz

Just subscribing to the thread. Dh just finished the half and wants to do the Goofy next year. I signed up for the 2006 half but changed my mind in August, I didn't think I could do it. I am contemplating 2007, and dh thinks I can. I mean, I guess I could walk it and don't have to run. What do you guys think?

agotta said:
Just subscribing to the thread. Dh just finished the half and wants to do the Goofy next year. I signed up for the 2006 half but changed my mind in August, I didn't think I could do it. I am contemplating 2007, and dh thinks I can. I mean, I guess I could walk it and don't have to run. What do you guys think?

Agotta,

Believe in yourself, you can do it! It's in you, try it and just go in with the mindset that you are doing this for fun. There is no competition your goal is just to finish. You have a great support here at the WISH. We will cheer you on, train with you, walk with you, cry with you, hurt with you, laugh with you and just over all be your support. So what are you waiting for your screen name says it all (Agotta, yes You Gotta DO IT!)

Oh and I just noticed that you live in Fairfax, VA. I live on Bolling Air Force Base you and I live realitively close.

Kimickey said:
Agotta,

Believe in yourself, you can do it! It's in you, try it and just go in with the mindset that you are doing this for fun. There is no competition your goal is just to finish. You have a great support here at the WISH. We will cheer you on, train with you, walk with you, cry with you, hurt with you, laugh with you and just over all be your support. So what are you waiting for your screen name says it all (Agotta, yes You Gotta DO IT!)

Oh and I just noticed that you live in Fairfax, VA. I live on Bolling Air Force Base you and I live realitively close.

::yes:: I totally agree with everything Kim has said here! I did the 2005 1/2 with my 3 sisters, and along with the entire WISH 2005 Team, it was the most incredible experience in my whole life! We trained for a year, and yes it's hard work, but the satisfaction of just having the courage to even sign up is amazing! We're seriously looking at 2008 at this point, but I'll be here this year, training along with everyone, for a race here in Canada in October.

You CAN do this! And the whole experience will put you on :cloud9:

MaryLiz

Agotta -

I know you can do the half, just pace yourself. I'm debating if I should register for the full, or not. I might go through Teams in Training, but not sure how that works. Do you still pay the registration fee to Disney, or TNT?

I'm sorry we missed each other at Pop...what did you think of it? My niece and I loved it.

You can do it, you can do it, you can do it. :cool1:

agotta said:

You can DEFINITELY do it!!! You can walk it, but you have a year to get ready, and by then, you may even be able to run a bit (or a lot!!)

Just to give you an idea, you have to maintain a 16 min. per mile pace. That is about 3.8 mph-- if you have a treadmill, try it! You may find you can't go at that pace for 13 miles yet, but it's not THAT fast-- with a little training, you'll be there! I would take it a step further and train at 4.0 mph-- still a walking pace, but it is a 15 min mile, which gives you a minute padding to avoid those sweepers!

And, just don't ever give up! Even if you don't feel you can do it the morning of the race-- you'd be surprised how much energy you get just from the encouragement of everyone around you! It's great fun!

And, think of the worst that can happen? You get swept. Yeah, none of us would want that, but it's not the end of the world. You wouldn't be the only one, you'll still get a medal, and you still went further then a ton of other people who didn't even start!

And the best that can happen? You finish in a much faster time then you think you can now!!

Here's the thing-- if I was able to do this last year, SO CAN YOU!!! :wizard:

OK, all...I've REGISTERED for the WDW 1/2!!! so much for waiting a month to see if I have the endurance!! This place is just contagious!!! Bought new shoes today, looking at GARMIN's...turns out we have a hand held one that I can use until I get a REAL one.
Still eyeing the Minnie and the Disneyland 1/2...this from someone who has never, ever run!!! :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter