Do stores markdown tents at all

Brumeiser

Total Disney Nut
We are planning a Maine trip for next year when we noticed our current 15 year old tent zipper teeth are wearing down. What I wonder does Dick, Mc etc mark this stuff down at the end of season or do they just put it away for next year? Thanks :confused3

Have you thought about checking yard sales that list camping equipment? We got some nice backpacks and things that way.

I did buy a tent that was marked down at the end of summer a couple of years ago for our Girl Scouts. So it is possible to find a good sale.

DJ

You might want to try Target. Check the ends of the aisles in the camping section. I don't remember the exact time last year, but it was near the end of Summer/ beginning of Fall, that we found an awesome Coleman tent for 75% off. Good Luck!!
-- Angie

Do you have a Camp Coleman store near you? They have some great buys on tents at different times of the year.

We really prefer the high end lightweight tents (Eureka) but can't afford them. (Note we have used colemen etc but they tend to be heavier, bulkier and can't last through 3 days of straight rain. So we go to the expensive camping stores when they have a tent sale and ask if they have any with missing poles. They often do and sell them cheap. $400 2 man tent for $40. We get the make and model number then call the manufacturer and see if we can order the poles. Usually $75/$100. If so, we buy the tent, order the poles and for less then $150 we have a brand new $400 tent. This works best on tents that have a lifetime/10 yr/20 yr warrenty because the poles are more likely to be in stock. Our best deal has been a Eureka Tunnel Vision 10 man tent ($850 at the time) for $175 total.

We got a great deal at Sears one year in the fall. They tend to move out the camping gear to make room for the holiday items.

We got a great 2 room tent from Walmart 3 yrs ago. We paid $60 for the tent that was originally $199. Sad part is we've only used it once. This was near the end of summer we got this deal.

I have learned the hard way to get a good tent and coleman is not alway the best. Our last coleman had a river runn ing through it on our last campout. We go camping about every month SO we got a eureka titan. It retails in the 600.00's but I found it for 350.00. We have not camped in it yet but we set it up and its huge. Its a 8 "man" but will fit the 5 of us perfect. Eurekas a alittle more but well worth it. I have camped in smaller(barrowed) eurekas before and they never leaked, and it rained so much when you stepped out of your tent water would flow in the top of you sneaker.

If you have an Aldi near you, they had some great prices on tents. I can't vouch for the quality though.

Did you try overstock.com? Usually good prices and always $2.95 shipping - and you can always find free shipping too!

Yes, as others have mentioned most stores do mark down tents at the end of the season. Manufacturers also change the tent "models" (like cars) and that's another good way to save $$. We got a great buy on a Kelty when the model was discontinued....

For your answers, I guess I will have to start looking at some of your suggestions. Eureaka is the current tent and that was a tough durable tent. We had it up the past week and it survived the big storm we had on July 3. We had 2.5 inches of rain in 2 hours and 45 miles per hour wind gust and it stood up and didn't leak. We were dissapointed in replacing it but the zipper just wore out.

Brumeiser said:
For your answers, I guess I will have to start looking at some of your suggestions. Eureaka is the current tent and that was a tough durable tent. We had it up the past week and it survived the big storm we had on July 3. We had 2.5 inches of rain in 2 hours and 45 miles per hour wind gust and it stood up and didn't leak. We were dissapointed in replacing it but the zipper just wore out.
You might be able to get a zipper from Eureaka(you just need the right length-call and get a price). And you could check with a local tailor or seamstress about replacing it(ask for an estimate). I would price this out first, before I decided on it...but if your have a great tent...it might be worth fixing.

Just a FYI, I wanted to order the Eureka twister from the outlet they have. Its closed due to flooding, and I'm thinking if it flooded enough for them to close the doors I dont want the inventory they had in the store. Good luck finding something that works for you.

We got a 3 person tent at Target last late summer/early fall for $6.00 on Clearance. It was a very nice tent, very roomy and constructed well.

Brumeiser said:

There are places that can replace tent zippers. Look for a good outdoor/ sporting goods store that makes canvas tents. We have a nearby one in Portland, Oregon (Beckel). My husband goes elk hunting every year and purchased a custom made canvas tent from them with woodstove. This year it snowed and a large branch fell on it, we had it repaired. They can replace zippers and repair tents. Look for a store that specializes in hunting/fishing/outdoors and you can probably get the zipper replaced instead of a whole new tent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter