Do I really need Sea Safe for sea lice?

Is sea lice a common problem at cc? I've been to the Caribbean a number of times and never has an issue.
It is in pelican bay, the CMs have vinegar ready to spray if you get bites though. Worked wonders on my kid.

Btw, for anyone looking for lidocaine, icy hot makes one product with lidocaine in it too.

Did you get the stuff you put on before or after? Also, where did you get yours? I don't really want to have to buy it from Amazon, but I haven't seen it anywhere else, around here. Is it available in Orlando/Cocoa at Ron Jon's or even at Walgreen's?

You can get it thru an online scuba shop. They don't have it at Target, Walmart, Walgreens etc. I have researched it and only found it in Orlando at a dive shop on International drive.

Odd that something that works so well can't seem to be found in very many places. But I guess it is a niche product, even if it's been used for several years.

I think the scuba shops sell it most frequently because they are in the water in a variety of areas so frequently and at all times of the year.
The sea lice actually has high seasons and low seasons when it Is not as predominant. We have never had a problem with sea lice on any of our trips (knock on wood)

I used to swin/snorkel at various places at CC every time I had a break long enough (so sometimes could be a couple of times a week) and didn't know sea lice was an issue until reading these boards. (I'm in no way saying it's not before any one has a go)
Something did get me once when I was snorkelling, made a corner of my bottom lip numb for the rest of the day, it didn't hurt after it got me and I didn't see what it was, but it made going back to work for the evening interesting...

It may depend on the time of year and where you are swimming. We've been to CC seven times and been in the water in Serenity Bay, the snorkel area and once kayaking. Once we were there in May, the rest of the times in late November-early December. Never had any issues at all. Never been to Pelican Bay.

I used to swin/snorkel at various places at CC every time I had a break long enough (so sometimes could be a couple of times a week) and didn't know sea lice was an issue until reading these boards. (I'm in no way saying it's not before any one has a go)
Something did get me once when I was snorkelling, made a corner of my bottom lip numb for the rest of the day, it didn't hurt after it got me and I didn't see what it was, but it made going back to work for the evening interesting...

Oh dear! That would have been interesting trying to speak and work with kids. Like numbing ones gums for dental work. :)

I never really knew about sea lice either until a post on here awhile ago and then I had to look it up of course to see what it was about. I toyed with getting the Sea Safe for one of our September cruises but never did because we never had a problem. Even swimming in the Atlantic (we live 45 minutes from Cape Canaveral and like to go to the beach) never posed a problem.

Oh dear! That would have been interesting trying to speak and work with kids. Like numbing ones gums for dental work. :)

I never really knew about sea lice either until a post on here awhile ago and then I had to look it up of course to see what it was about. I toyed with getting the Sea Safe for one of our September cruises but never did because we never had a problem. Even swimming in the Atlantic (we live 45 minutes from Cape Canaveral and like to go to the beach) never posed a problem.

I wasn't too worried about the kids. More when I was checking in and out - I was paranoid I was dribbling all over the adults....

We've stopped at CC over a dozen times and never had an issue with sea lice.

We've never purchased anything like this for a cruise or, ever, and we've both been born/raised in South Florida. Don't waste the $$!

Thanks all. We're really only in the ocean a couple of times. While it only takes one, maybe we'll take our chances. If it were available everywhere, that'd be one thing, but to have to special order makes me suspect that most people aren't using it. But I will definitely pick up that Walgreens lidocaine and aloe aftersun.

My kids complained of something while swimming at CC, and they've been to lots of beaches and never complained before, so I took what they said seriously. They said it was painful.

However, I was swimming right next to them most of the time and I didn't feel anything. And it couldn't have bothered them TOO much because they didn't stop swimming.

The life guards do have some sort of spray, but if I read body language correctly, even they don't really think it is an issue.

It certainly didn't ruin our day.

Just pack some white vinegar in an empty water bottle and take to the beach with you. Vinegar neutralizes the sting of sea lice and jelly fish instantly. Way cheaper. Guess I've been lucky. Been on 16 cruises and never been bothered.

From what I understand, summer is usually the peak season for sea lice. It also fluctuates with the tides - so could be an outbreak in an area one day, and no sign of them the next. The severity also varies by person - some barely notice it or it's a minor irritant at most...others get deeper rashes, pain, etc. I was raised in South Florida - been here many years - and there have been periodic outbreaks in diff beaches across the state here. Usually pretty short lived for the reasons above. I haven't been snorkeling that long, but after reading about it, I did pick up a bottle of Safe Sea lotion from Divers Direct last year - they have a couple of stores by me and one on the way to the Keys. I never saw a spray...it's a thick, heavy cream. It's pricey, but not ridiculous (about 15-18/bottle I think - 2 diff SPF levels to choose from) and it gives me some peace of mind. My husband, on the other hand, doesn't bother and just takes his chances.:D

we've decided not to go into the water when we're at CC this coming summer.
DD has a hole in her ear (permanent tube) and the thought of something like that getting into her ear is a bit off-putting...
while she has a whole procedure for protecting her ear from water, given that it's not full proof, there's still a risk.
so we'll pass this time around :)

How much vinegar would a person use? If I just got a couple of packets of vinegar from McDonalds, would that be enough or are we talking about several oz in a spray bottle to saturate the affected area?

I never thought about ears. Are ear plugs a wise idea?

How much vinegar would a person use? If I just got a couple of packets of vinegar from McDonalds, would that be enough or are we talking about several oz in a spray bottle to saturate the affected area?

I never thought about ears. Are ear plugs a wise idea?

i suppose you could use ear plugs..
she's not allowed to use ear plugs - you can't use them with tubes...
she has to use cotton coated with vaseline (also what she has to do to take a shower - pretty disgusting really), but that's not a sufficient barrier for lice infested water...
however for people without holes in their ear drums, it shouldn't be a problem..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter