Do I need a magic band to get a DAS pass?

ChristopherFamily

Earning My Ears
We are going to WDW at the end of March. My 10 year old has ASD and has been know to run from us if he gets worked up or stressed out along with a few other issues. I am worried that for long lines this may be an issue. So I was going to ask about getting DAS pass. However, I have read that they scan your magicband and have you return x amount of time later.

We are not staying on property so I hadn't planned on getting more than 1 magicband. I just wanted 1 so I could have it for the memory maker/pictures. Will 1 band for our family work or will our whole group of 5 each need a band?

TYIA

You can just use the issued tickets. They tap and work the same as MBs for DAS assignments and returns. One person can take their ticket to get the DAS time, but upon return each person has to scan their ticket or band.

And at the ride, the DAS holder has to tap in first still, right?

Will 1 band for our family work or will our whole group of 5 each need a band?
There is very minimal “need” for a MagicBand if staying offsite. Other than a couple of ride photos, anything else csn be done via hard ticket. A MB is basically a convenience, and only you/your family know if it would actually be convenient or a hindrance for you. Would your son wear a bracelet or does he have sensory issues that might make it a frustration? Would people in your party have a pocket to carry a ticket or would they prefer to wear it? Are the kids young and mom or dad would prefer to carry the tickets for everyone? Will the kids notice if they aren’t wearing MBs? If you get a MB for 1 child will the others feel excluded? I think those are the questions for you to consider, and weigh benefits vs cost. There is no right or wrong answer.

If you decide to carry a lanyard with everyone’s card here is an idea that I use a Disney Cruise.
Put all the cards on one lanyard each in a separate clear plastic pouch. Mark the one that needs to be scanned first. Then have one person in your group be the scanner. With the clear plastic pouch you should be able to “tap” the card and not take it out of the pouch.
EB9CAA89-78EF-4C2A-9E56-4261EA9234B5.png

Last edited:
Isn't there a photo on record of the person with the DAS pass, so wouldn't that person need to be visible (IE right there at the tapstyle) when the first card is used? Otherwise, the CM has to find that person in the crowd, or ask for that person, or deny access because the person given the DAS must be present to use the DAS service at each attraction?

If you decide to carry a lanyard with everyone’s card here is an idea that I use a Disney Cruise.
Put all the cards on one lanyard each in a separate clear plastic pouch. Mark the one that needs to be scanned first. Then have one person in your group be the scanner. With the clear plastic pouch you should be able to “tap” the card and not take it out of the pouch.
View attachment 558335
it is not the person's card that has the DAS tap first, it also has to be that person cause if that person doesnt ride can not use the DAS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter