• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do DVC Members deserve better perks

I agree. The $20 discount on DLR AP's is silly.
Although It is really, really great that you can get a DVC discount on pretty much everything (from stores to snack stands) in DL. And it's super easy to get the discount when every CM asks ,"do you have an AP?" before taking payment. I then reply no, but I have my DVC card, and they happily apply my discount.
Because of the regular asking, and discount, I actually felt like a more valued guest than I do at WDW.

Although, I really, really enjoyed the Beach Bash at TL this summer!

Last edited:
Discounts are offered at little or no cost to DVC/DVD. They are intended to do 3 things where DVC is concerned. Give them the illusion of ownership benefit (whether real or not), generate income where possible and to direct traffic. They don't necessarily want members to go to the parks, they want to spread out the guests who are there and DVC members are the one group that will go and possibly not go to the parks as often. I think discounts on the lessor locations and on minor activities are the way for them to go.

I'm in the party that would like us to just receive what Fl. residents get.That IMHO would make me very happy!
I've said many times I think DVC should do this. However, it's not all that difficult for many to get themselves into a position to qualify for such discounts since it's not a legal situation, only a decision by Disney of what they'll offer to different groups. Here's the link to the current requirements: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/florida-residents/validation-requirements/

I'm also in the AP through monthly payments category. I would definitely buy an AP every year if I could leverage the payments monthly instead of ponying up the full cost at one time. It just makes the budgeting process easier on me.

From this link Dean I wouldn't qualify. although I'd love to try,,LOL
But how difficult would it be to get yourself in a position to qualify, I'd think it wouldn't be all that difficult for many given the stated options. Heck, buy a cheap house or condo to rent as an investment and use this as an added incentive.

I'm also in the AP through monthly payments category. I would definitely buy an AP every year if I could leverage the payments monthly instead of ponying up the full cost at one time. It just makes the budgeting process easier on me.
But can't you essentially do that with a DVA. I realize you'd have to either skip a year or get ahead rather than paying in the rear but it should fulfill your stated goal of budgeting.

But can't you essentially do that with a DVA. I realize you'd have to either skip a year or get ahead rather than paying in the rear but it should fulfill your stated goal of budgeting.

That would undoubtedly work. Honestly, I hadn't thought to use the DVA that way. Now, if I can just keep myself from using those funds for MM, or an extra weekend getaway, or ... :-)

That would undoubtedly work. Honestly, I hadn't thought to use the DVA that way. Now, if I can just keep myself from using those funds for MM, or an extra weekend getaway, or ... :-)
A separate savings or christmas fund type account would work just as well if your bank or CC would allow it at no charge (many will).

Yeah, I actually have a separate checking account that I make monthly deposits into to pay maintenance fees on my timeshares. I can just up the amount a little bit and start saving for the AP next year.

But how difficult would it be to get yourself in a position to qualify, I'd think it wouldn't be all that difficult for many given the stated options. Heck, buy a cheap house or condo to rent as an investment and use this as an added incentive.

Beings we're having a child get married next June very difficult,but I see your point.

I didn't buy into DVC for the perks. Personally I think the perks are minimal and could be better but that doesn't mean I'm not satisfied with my DVC membership. I would love to see discounts on tickets and the dining plan for DVC members.

I didn't buy into DVC for the perks. Personally I think the perks are minimal and could be better but that doesn't mean I'm not satisfied with my DVC membership. I would love to see discounts on tickets and the dining plan for DVC members.

That's me exactly. I bought DVC for the chance to stay on-property. All the other perks are nice, but not why I own. Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy more/different/"better", but even if they all went away I'd still keep my contract.

Honestly, I have no expectations beyond what I paid for. A room at a number of specified resorts at a specified booking time.

That said, I'd love for us to get better non-park perks to get us spending money around the park. But, they're taking those perks away from AP holders, so can't expect much. We'd love to do more mini-golf and other activities as the parks are starting to get painful.

Honestly, provide a vacation concierge to make all of my resies for dining, tours, FP+, etc. I'm really tired of being over planned.

I think in some respects, all of us have some expectations of perks, even though we may know exactly what we purchased. DVC tells us thru their numerous communications that we have ALL these great perks. And, although they change from time to time, there has always been many perks to chose from dating back to 1991. It is safe to say, there will always be perks. Whether they are good enough or not depends on each person's vacation style and how it relates to the latest and greatest perks.

I believe Disney would be smart to continue to offer perks. It shows appreciation for being a DVC member. I also believe that they should sharpen their skills at customer service and housekeeping. Saying "welcome home" is not enough. I would like to feel confident that my room will be ready when it should be and be in "working order". It should be a rare occasion that there is something wrong with a room. On that rare occasion when you need to speak to someone at the front desk, they should be professional and able to correct the problem.
My current impression of Disney is that they are not as successful as they used to be with their customer service reputation. It is intangible but it is what they built their business on. As that continues to erode, the perks won't be enough to satisfy people.

On our last trip over the summer, we had to go to the front desk for at least three days because of continuing problems with our door lock, magic bands, credit card issues,etc. etc. I never did get the chance to tell them we were missing a light bulb in one of the lamps. There were just too many other problems with our room and trip.

Perks might be an "extra" but we should at the very least get good customer service and housekeeping.

Maybe yes, maybe no. DVC members are forced to vacation at Disney, discount or no discount. Do they vacation more if Disney discounts their admission tickets, only Disney knows that answer but it they did, you can bet that there would be better discounts.

:earsboy: Bill

This is not exactly true. DVC owners are sort of forced to stay at their resorts (except other uses for points) but they are definitely not forced to enter the parks or dine at their restaurants. Many times we went and never really entered the parks while being annual pass holders and DVC owners. We would go and do other things in the area. DVC became just a temporary condo for us to stay in and as the experience in the parks has degraded and prices have gone up, we do less.

Food and wine in October is the one exception. We do go all out on this with several paid events that we go to. Can't wait!!

I believe Disney would be smart to continue to offer perks. It shows appreciation for being a DVC member. I also believe that they should sharpen their skills at customer service and housekeeping. Saying "welcome home" is not enough. I would like to feel confident that my room will be ready when it should be and be in "working order". It should be a rare occasion that there is something wrong with a room. On that rare occasion when you need to speak to someone at the front desk, they should be professional and able to correct the problem.
My current impression of Disney is that they are not as successful as they used to be with their customer service reputation. It is intangible but it is what they built their business on. As that continues to erode, the perks won't be enough to satisfy people.

On our last trip over the summer, we had to go to the front desk for at least three days because of continuing problems with our door lock, magic bands, credit card issues,etc. etc. I never did get the chance to tell them we were missing a light bulb in one of the lamps. There were just too many other problems with our room and trip.

Perks might be an "extra" but we should at the very least get good customer service and housekeeping.

I don't think the perks will go away either even if they are not building new DVC resorts. I believe the perks are a great marketing tool to sell DVC, but they are also what gets DVC members to go do DISNEY things vs the many other things available in the Orlando area. Quite frankly there are much better restaurants in Orlando, but we do eat at Disney ones from time to time because of the TIW card. We buy an annual pass because it saves money where we are there for several months out of the year and go into the parks from time to time. However, every year, we decide if we are going to renew vs buy a new annual pass to get the most out of our money. Disney knows this and they adjust discounts accordingly.

They know if they offer incentives and perks to DVC members that they will capture more revenue from you on a yearly basis than if they don't offer any perks and DVC members stay out of the parks and Disney restaurants. Once you purchase DVC, that is the money they get to cover the development costs. The dues are to cover operation expenses. I know there is profit in all this through "funny money" and cost centers, but that is not why Disney started DVC and it is not why they continue to build more resorts. DVC was the vehicle to create a reoccurring revenue stream in their parks without having to capture a new customer every year. The reason I don't think perks will ever go away is that Disney watches DVC owner habits and they adjust perks to get us to spend money at Disney each time we go.

We could all easily go to our DVC resorts each year, hang out at the pool, go shopping in the local outlets, have groceries in our rooms for meals and eat at other local restaurants. Disney would literally get no additional revenue from us staying there. If they have some sort of perk that gives us discounts to do activities, or other discounts for purchasing items in their stores, or discounts to get us in the parks more frequently where we are likely to eat and buy things, then that is what they will do because that is additional revenue for them above what we already spend for DVC. They would rather we buy an annual pass and visit the park a lot vs buying passes for specific days/periods and maybe forgoing the parks for days within our stay. That is why I believe they discount annual passes and not the day passes.

Perks are not a sign of appreciation from Disney and are a functional part of their plan to make more money from each of us.

Do I deserve better perks? Sure. Perk away. Not like I'm ever going to say "Please stop. You're giving me far too much."

Am I entitled to perks? Nope, and I knew that going in.

When I bought into DVC something I didn't verify was a discount on ordinary park tickets. This was one thing I just assumed was included in our perks.

I know a lot of you buy the discounted annual passes and have ways of making that work. I don't. I travel to Disney every other year and stay just under the amount of days it takes to recoup the AP cost.

I think paying full price for a WDW ticket is just insulting. I understand why they don't need to do it. I just find it insulting. There are enough discounts given for other things. We are loyal customers of the Disney brand and put aside a significant amount of money to go see the mouse as often as possible. This is a loyalty issue where Disney missed the mark completely. I hope they fix it one day whether it affects 1% of their bottom line or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter