DLR Housing

keyBlade, the DLR program seems to be much harder to get into. Have you thought about doing the WDWCP instead?

Hi everyone, I'm Angelica and I'm sorta new here. I say "sorta" because I've actually been going through threads for the past few weeks (everyday, several hours a day...it's become a habit of mine) and haven't actually registered for a username until now.
(finally!)

I didn't want to register at first because I didn't want to become too attached to the thought of working at Disney, especially since Fall 2009 is probably the only DCP I'll get to apply for. If I don't end up getting in, I'd want to be able to move on. (I know, sounds really sad, but that's how it is for me).

I'm a DLR hopeful myself. I haven't done the program before and like other DLR hopefuls here, have scoured these forums looking for any information geared specifically at DLR. A lot of the info has been really helpful, though, whether it was from a DLR CP or WDW CP. Btw, I interviewed 4/28 and have yet to hear from Disney.

To Avejajed and any others applying for Fall 2009, hopefully we'll find out really soon.

To KeyBlade, I'm sorry you didn't get to interview this time. I'm like you, a nursing major. Well, almost a nursing major...pre-nursing, to be exact. I'm planning on applying to the nursing program at my school Spring 2010.

That's why I really want to get in to Disney for Fall 2009. So I can experience the trials of Disney before the trials of nursing.

Btw, my recruiter said there are nursing majors at DLR, so don't worry about the fact that you're doing nursing. If you really want to do the DCP, you should totally go for it again. At least now you have begun the planning process and have more time to practice for the interview. Don't give up! You'll be ready when the time comes for Spring 2010 applicants :)

I had my interview on 4/24. I'm getting a bit nervous. lol.
I'm SO glad you registered, because if I am accepted, I want to know some people before I go out west. I'll be a long, long way from home, and won't know very many people, and none in the program at all. :)

I had my interview on 4/24. I'm getting a bit nervous. lol.
I'm SO glad you registered, because if I am accepted, I want to know some people before I go out west. I'll be a long, long way from home, and won't know very many people, and none in the program at all. :)

Lol, I've been super nervous. I can barely focus on anything else (which people say really isn't good, but it happens). I really gotta focus for the last couple weeks of school, but it's hard with wanting to hear from Disney.

I'm glad I registered, too. If I make it in, I'm glad I'll have already met some people here. If I don't, I'll still have my love for Disney, and that's enough to make me stick around ;)

As for info regarding DLR, you guys might have already seen this before, but just in case: disboards(dot)com/showthread.php?t=1912155 (sorry, I can't post links yet, so please change the "dot" to an actual dot)

There is someone named "Justy" who is very helpful with info on the CP experience at Disneyland. The thread itself isn't very new, but it's at least less than a year old.

Exactly! Either way, we should keep in touch because you seem really fun. If I do make it, I'll give you the low down. If I don't, we'll be in it together!

Thanks, you seem pretty darn fun yourself. We should definitely keep in touch, whether you get in this time or no. I'll probably be sticking around the boards, soaking up all the info I can get. I wish you luck and I want all the sordid details if/when you get in. If you don't at least you know you have a friend for Spring! :flower3:

stitcheroo27 said:
That's why I really want to get in to Disney for Fall 2009. So I can experience the trials of Disney before the trials of nursing.

Ha, yeah, I'm totally in a similar position. I'm almost done with the nursing prereqs and will be in the program pretty soon, so I have to do this soon if I'm gonna do it. It makes me feel better knowing that there are nursing majors getting in, I was almost considering just putting "nonspecified" next time I applied. :rolleyes1

BabyPiglet said:
keyBlade, the DLR program seems to be much harder to get into. Have you thought about doing the WDWCP instead?

I have, but I don't have as much of a personal connection with WDW as DL because as someone originally from Southern Cal I've always grown up going to DL. I've wanted to work there since I was little kid and if I'm gonna do this I want to do it at the park I love the most. I'm not saying I don't like WDW, but Disneyland just has a special place in my heart so I'm willing to go through the extra trouble. It would also be closer to some of my family and friends from the area that I had been looking forward to seeing and hanging out with again. I dunno, though, maybe I'm just being stubborn :upsidedow

OMG!!! KeyBlade I'm so sorry!!! :( That's so upsetting to build up the anticipataion and then not even be given the chance... my heart goes out to ya! And I'm right there with ya about DLR being my "home" resort and how much it means to me, and I mean hey, it's Walt's park haha :D On top of that, I've heard that it's a *LOT* easier to network and move up in the company at DLR than at WDW, because there's a lot less CPs around and they're a lot more eager to meet them and work with them, and for me that makes it totally worth it even if all the negativity that's been brought up in recent threads is true, because I want my career to be with Disney, and I'm willing to work through crud to work my way up heehee :goodvibes

Stitcheroo27 thank you so much for that link, I hadn't seen that before! It's also nice to actually read about a *positive* DLR CP experiance haha :D

OMG!!! KeyBlade I'm so sorry!!! :( That's so upsetting to build up the anticipataion and then not even be given the chance... my heart goes out to ya! And I'm right there with ya about DLR being my "home" resort and how much it means to me, and I mean hey, it's Walt's park haha :D On top of that, I've heard that it's a *LOT* easier to network and move up in the company at DLR than at WDW, because there's a lot less CPs around and they're a lot more eager to meet them and work with them, and for me that makes it totally worth it even if all the negativity that's been brought up in recent threads is true, because I want my career to be with Disney, and I'm willing to work through crud to work my way up heehee :goodvibes

Stitcheroo27 thank you so much for that link, I hadn't seen that before! It's also nice to actually read about a *positive* DLR CP experiance haha :D

Just a heads up, the unwritten rule in Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has always been: if you want to move up into any position of prominance, you have to go to Florida.

Just look at the DLR Top Leadership in recent years:
  • Ed Grier, President of the Disneyland Resort
    • Former General Manager, Epcot
    • Former General Manager, Disney-MGM Studios (now Disney's Hollywood Studios)
  • Michael O'Grattan, Former SVP Operations, Disneyland Resort
    • Former Vice President, Disney's Hollywood Studios
  • Greg Emmer, Former SVP Operations, Disneyland Resort
    • Former Attractions Host, Fantasyland Operations, Disneyland Park
    • Opening Team, Walt Disney World Resort
    • Former Vice President, Magic Kingdom Park
    • Former Vice President, Attractions, Walt Disney World Resort
  • Matt Ouimet, Former President of the Disneyland Resort
    • Former Executive General Manager, Disney Vacation Club
    • Former President, Disney Cruise Line

I didn't even get to interview, the lady just said right off that bat that I didn't get in. I didn't get an explanation, she just said to reapply in the Spring.

I'm sorry to hear this. From what I've gathered from others who have had similar experiences, they indicated they didn't pass the "web based interview" portion. That thing is really a gallop profile and if you don't score high enough on it, you don't move on. My personal feeling is that profiles are a really crappy way to filter through people. They are impersonal and for a company that prides itself on Guest interaction and whatnot, a series of questions that don't have a right/wrong answer is a terrible way to gauge someone.

If you notice on Disneyland's CP site, they don't really mention an interview. They refer to a "telephone appointment".
http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/disneycollegeprogram/dlr/students/apply/applynow.html

My guess is that if you pass the gallop profile, then they will go on and interview during your "telephone appointment". If you don't, you get told to try again next semester.

I hope WDW doesn't start using that thing.

I didn't like the web based interview. I don't generally like anything like that. The questions sometimes can be tricky and I don't think it's always very accurate.

Toffy said:
OMG!!! KeyBlade I'm so sorry!!! That's so upsetting to build up the anticipataion and then not even be given the chance... my heart goes out to ya!

Yeah, it's just no fun when you have your heart set on something and it doesn't work out. Not only is it Walts park, but I think Disneyland has more of a nostalgic feel than DW, obviously because it's older and also because that was Walts intention with the park. I think DW is more exciting and obviously there's more to do, but DL feels like home.

khancock said:
I'm sorry to hear this. From what I've gathered from others who have had similar experiences, they indicated they didn't pass the "web based interview" portion. That thing is really a gallop profile and if you don't score high enough on it, you don't move on. My personal feeling is that profiles are a really crappy way to filter through people. They are impersonal and for a company that prides itself on Guest interaction and whatnot, a series of questions that don't have a right/wrong answer is a terrible way to gauge someone.

Oh man, you're probably right, I bet that was the reason I didn't get a chance to interview. I totally forgot I did that part, and I probably would have taken it more seriously if I had known it was going to effect my chance at getting an interview. I remember there being a lot of questions that I didn't quite understand and taking a neutral stance on them because I felt rushed, which is probably what messed me up. A the time I was thinking they might ask me about my answers and then I could elaborate but not that my answers would determine whether I could interview. I am kicking myself now. I don't think that test would be an accurate gauge at all of what I'm capable of, I don't like to toot my own horn but I'm an excellent worker and usually get praised for my customer service skills... But I'm always bad at those kinds of tests... Do you guys think I could try to convince Disney to interview me still? Call up and say I didn't feel that the test accurately represented me as a worker and that I'm sure if I could interview they'd be impressed? Or would that just be kicking a dead horse...? Anybody know of someone who has done this?

Oh I don't know...I'd be really torn there, I wouldn't want to come off pushy but if I really felt that was true, I'd want to interview..:( I wish I knew what to tell you.

I also thought it was neat and wonderful the reasons why most of you chose the DL program over the DW program, and I wanted to share why I did. I've never been to Disneyland. I grew up in Southern Florida, and we went to Disney World ALL the time. I grew up in that park.

But...

There are many reasons I didn't choose to apply there. The program is very large at Disney World, and I liked the more intimate family feel of the Disneyland park that everyone is talking about. I've scoured the internet for information, and on Youtube, for instance, the characters are out and about much more than WDW. It's just got a different type of atmosphere that I want to experience. Plus, Florida is hot, sticky, muggy, and buggy. Also, I have lots of friends who already live in Southern California, and it's going to be nice to see them more often. Because of the size of WDW, your whole experience seems to be Disney-based, and in California, it really feels like you'll have to time to develop a non-Disney life.

Plus, I eventually want to live in California and work for Disney full-time year round, so it seemed a good fit. :)

But like I've said, I've never been to Disneyland, so the whole experience will be completely new for me. ;) I've done the Florida thing, I'm ready for a whole new world. </nerd >

Do you guys think I could try to convince Disney to interview me still? Call up and say I didn't feel that the test accurately represented me as a worker and that I'm sure if I could interview they'd be impressed? Or would that just be kicking a dead horse...? Anybody know of someone who has done this?

I'm honestly not too sure about this. However, are you sure that the web-based interview is the reason? It could just be that they have stopped doing their interviews for Fall 2009. I read on the WDWCP website that they stopped doing their application process recently (meaning, of course, no more interviews). DLR might be undergoing the same thing, but they probably didn't make that clear on the phone. The fact that DLR is much more competitive to get into than WDW makes it seem that might be the case.

You might want to call them up, just to clarify things, if nothing more. It shouldn't hurt to call and simply ask questions. If anything, it might just show how determined you are to be in the program. But then again, I don't know for sure...'tis just my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup2

I also thought it was neat and wonderful the reasons why most of you chose the DL program over the DW program, and I wanted to share why I did. I've never been to Disneyland. I grew up in Southern Florida, and we went to Disney World ALL the time. I grew up in that park.

But...

There are many reasons I didn't choose to apply there. The program is very large at Disney World, and I liked the more intimate family feel of the Disneyland park that everyone is talking about. I've scoured the internet for information, and on Youtube, for instance, the characters are out and about much more than WDW. It's just got a different type of atmosphere that I want to experience. Plus, Florida is hot, sticky, muggy, and buggy. Also, I have lots of friends who already live in Southern California, and it's going to be nice to see them more often. Because of the size of WDW, your whole experience seems to be Disney-based, and in California, it really feels like you'll have to time to develop a non-Disney life.

Wow, I can't believe you haven't been to Disneyland yet! You REALLY gotta come experience it!

As a Disneyland go-er for many years, with an Annual Pass at least four different years (I'd have one now if I weren't really busy with college stuff), I have to say that I can never grow tired of the magic. It's amazing!

But then again, who wouldn't say that? Lol...

Each time I go, it's wonderful, even if I ride the same ride several times in a row or something seemingly redundant like that. Haha...one of the things I like to do is try to have a different perspective each time I do something over again, not because I'd be bored with the same perspective, but just because it's fun to do. Sometimes I spot something completely new to me because of it. (example: child's pov vs. adult's pov...haha)

Plus, I eventually want to live in California and work for Disney full-time year round, so it seemed a good fit. :)

I'd say living in California is great. There's a lot to do here :)

But like I've said, I've never been to Disneyland, so the whole experience will be completely new for me. ;) I've done the Florida thing, I'm ready for a whole new world. </nerd>

Hehehe "a whole new world" :teeth:

Angelica, if you get in, since you live so close, I assume you won't be using housing? We'll have to get together and meet if we both do!

And yeah, the whole new world...I'm shameless. ;)

Is the DL program so competitive because it's small or for other reasons?

Angelica, if you get in, since you live so close, I assume you won't be using housing? We'll have to get together and meet if we both do!

And yeah, the whole new world...I'm shameless. ;)

Is the DL program so competitive because it's small or for other reasons?

No need of housing for me, just staying with family in Anaheim. So yes, if I get in, we definitely should meet up! It'd also be fun to wander through Disneyland with someone who hasn't been there before ;)

The DL program is probably competitive for a number of reasons, but I think the main one is the amount of applicants and size of each resort. Supposedly WDW accepts about 7,000 students each semester, while DLR accepts about 200 students (which makes me go :eek: whenever I think about it).

Oh man, you're probably right, I bet that was the reason I didn't get a chance to interview.... Do you guys think I could try to convince Disney to interview me still?

This was pure speculation on my part based on other's accounts. I really don't know if that is the reason or not (no one on here would).

You could email the disneyland group and ask for a reason, though. That's a fair question to ask. You could also specifically ask if you didn't move forward based on your web based interview. That's also fair. And if you specifically ask that, they would have to specifically address it rather than beating around the bush with their standard "there are others who are more qualified" response.

Their email address is dlr.college.recruiting@disney.com

The fact that DLR is much more competitive to get into than WDW makes it seem that might be the case.

This is not really true. DLR is far from being as competitive as WDW's.

They initially started (restarted really, but that's another story for another time) this program for students who went to school in the anaheim area. They couldn't get enough people to do it. They managed to get housing last year and still couldn't get people to do it. They sent dozens of emails to us alumni last year trying to get us to go over there. I mean, they were desperate because we were getting a message about every 3-4 days. Then they pulled this stunt saying that all positions at WDW were full and forcing people to go apply for DLR's program. then they opened back up WDW recruiting because they magically got more positions open.

At some point over the last year, they even increased the initial out of pocket payment required. WDW's is just the $100 program assessment fee. DLR wants you to pay $736 (100 fee + first month's rent) up front and then another $200 immediately when you get there. Who has that type of $$ these days???
http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/disneycollegeprogram/dlr/students/housing/costs.html

DLR has a much smaller program, but in this case, smaller does not mean more competitive.

This is not really true. DLR is far from being as competitive as WDW's.

They initially started (restarted really, but that's another story for another time) this program for students who went to school in the anaheim area. They couldn't get enough people to do it. They managed to get housing last year and still couldn't get people to do it. They sent dozens of emails to us alumni last year trying to get us to go over there. I mean, they were desperate because we were getting a message about every 3-4 days. Then they pulled this stunt saying that all positions at WDW were full and forcing people to go apply for DLR's program. then they opened back up WDW recruiting because they magically got more positions open.

At some point over the last year, they even increased the initial out of pocket payment required. WDW's is just the $100 program assessment fee. DLR wants you to pay $736 (100 fee + first month's rent) up front and then another $200 immediately when you get there. Who has that type of $$ these days???

DLR has a much smaller program, but in this case, smaller does not mean more competitive.

Ah...

Wow, this is quite different from what I've been hearing lately. All this time I've been reading about how Disney has approx. 2,000 applicants, but only 200 applicants get accepted...anything along those lines. I never thought they'd actually have to "re-recruit" DLR CP alumni.

Thank you, khancock, for this information...it's very helpful. It brings a little comfort while waiting to hear from Disney.

Well I don't know now if I should be terrified or relieved.

I dreamed last night that I got in. I even dreamed I got my purple folder and I was in guest research. I need a life. lol.

Well I don't know now if I should be terrified or relieved.

I dreamed last night that I got in. I even dreamed I got my purple folder and I was in guest research. I need a life. lol.

Lol, I actually feel the same way...just a little more comforted that the program is supposedly not as competitive as some say.

Also, isn't today the two-week mark for you? Funny you should have that dream the night before. A number of people have had Disney dreams, and by that I mean while sleeping. Haha, I kinda want one...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter