DLH vs. GC

FWDisFan

Mouseketeer
From our experience at WDW there is no such thing as a bad Disney hotel. I have priced a trip to DL (priced different options in January and February) and there is only $120 difference between the DLH and GC. Which would you choose? Please help!

Is the exclusive entrance to CA worth it?? That is what keeps swinging me back to GC over DLH. We aren't in to fancy dining while on vacation but according to the website it looks like the dining selections are similar at all 3 (from the comparison chart).

It is hard when you haven't been there and I really appreciate your help!
Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance!

Depends on the experience you and your family are looking for. We stayed at DLH last year (me and dd 5) and are going back in January. I also compared and in the end picked DLH again, mostly because it has more "magic" for the kids. That said you can't go wrong either way.

With just that much of a price difference, I would lean toward the GCH. We stayed at the DLH last week (stayed concierge and the price difference for us was MUCH more dramatic), and took a peek at the GCH while there. I think next time we'll probably spring for the GCH, then in the future we can decide between the two, for what we think is "worth it" or not.

For what it's worth, I didn't think the DLH was all that "magical"--there are little touches that my son (who's 5) could not have cared less about. The park and the whole experience is probably just as magical regardless of where you stay on site, now that I've done it, IMO. AND, we did use the special entrance and exit from DCA quite a bit, just meandered through GCH and back out to DD and then a short walk back to DLH. (As a Disney hotel guest regardless of GCH, DLH, or PPH, you have that right.) So, really, it just depends on your budget and what you are feeling like! My boys LOVED Grizzly River Rapids and we did have to walk back to DLH soaking wet a time or two to change. Also, it looks like you can hardly get a bad view there, either of the DCA or of DD, the pool, or courtyards where the monorail runs by. There are lots of rooms that face these ways--not much of the hotel is oriented facing the DLH and parking lot, it seems to me. It's also much newer and not so dated. The DLH, while clean and remodeled, still looks like a boring, utilitarian tower hotel. (The grounds are very pretty though and the pool is fun.)

Good luck deciding, I don't think you can go wrong once you are at the parks, we were hardly in our room but to sleep! :wizard:

Is the $120 difference per night or for the total stay??

If it's for the total package, I'd definately go with Grand Californian. We've stayed at both and love both, but usually we stay at DLH because we can get a better AP rate.

GC's location can't be beat and the theming is great. And if you have children they have bunk beds in some of the rooms (my kids love the bunkbeds). Both of the pools are great, but DLH Neverland pool has better theming for kids.

Also, GC has a counter-service restuarant and DLH doesn't. You can get drinks, muffins, pastries, cereal from the small shop next to Goofy's Kitchen, but it's not a full service counter-service establishment. At White Water snacks at GC you can get hot & cold meals all day long for a reasonible price.

You can't go wrong with either. Good luck with your decision.

:flower: ,
Katie

THANK YOU! That was exactly the sort of information I was looking for! (It is $120 total not per day to upgrade to the GC). It sounds like GC wins! Thank you again. Off to confirm my reservation!
:disrocks:

I think you'll find you made the right decision. I last stayed at the GCH in August and loved the exclusive entrance. It was actually quicker for us to go to DL through that entrance by cutting through DCA. The GCH to DCA security lines at were always very short. Now the exclusive entrance doesn't help very early and very late when DCA is closed, but other times it's fabulous. We used it a lot. We also loved GRR, and could quite literally be up in our room within a minute of exiting the ride to dry off (our room was located very near GRR and the second elevators).

While many find the DLH more to kids taste and the pool is a little more attractive to kids, I think the GCH is a better choice for kids as well as adults, especially at the particular time that you are going. You aren't likely to be using the pool as much as you would at other times of the year. Also, I think the monorail is scheduled to be down at that time, so you would have to walk significantly more if you were to stay at the DLH.

But -- do take try to take the time to walk over to DLH and stroll the grounds if you can.

CalGal...thank you for the input. I am getting more and more excited about it! I had no idea you can get to DL from DCA. Will it be obvious to us or is there a top secret route to enable us to do that? :cool1:

Thanks again!
Deb

FWDisFan said:
I had no idea you can get to DL from DCA. Will it be obvious to us or is there a top secret route to enable us to do that? :cool1:

Thanks again!
Deb

No secret route; it will be obvious -- walk through DCA past Soarin', exit the main DCA entrance, and you are directly across from the main entrance to DL. Depending upon where your room is at the GCH, this may save you quite a few steps. If your room is closer to the main elevator, it may be a little shorter to walk through DTD.

The way security is set up, you don't need to go through it again when you go back and forth between DL and DCA. There is a security check between DTD and the plaza area between the two parks, a security check between the plaza and the transportation center, and a security check at the GCH entrance to DCA. My experience was that the security check line was usually shortest at the GCH entrance.

Check out the sticky thread on the GCH at the top of these boards if you haven't already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter