DL Annual Pass question

mrs.ariel

Mouseketeer
Hi,
I am planning to visit the parks in a few weeks with my son. I was going to purchase 4 day park hoppers, then upgrade to an AP. But it doesn't make sense to pay for max pass twice, it looks like only $100 to add max pass to AP, or $40 to add to my 4 day PH...
So I have a couple questions:
1. Should I just buy the annual passes initially, if I know I plan to buy it anyway?
I am not sure of a benefit of purchasing a PH and upgrading (Also I am CA resident so I can do the monthly payment plan, right?)

2. If I buy it online today, and I don't go to DL until next month, will the start date of the AP be when I purchase it, or when I first use it?

Thanks!

Hi,
I am planning to visit the parks in a few weeks with my son. I was going to purchase 4 day park hoppers, then upgrade to an AP. But it doesn't make sense to pay for max pass twice, it looks like only $100 to add max pass to AP, or $40 to add to my 4 day PH...
1. Should I just buy the annual passes initially, if I know I plan to buy it anyway?
I am not sure of a benefit of purchasing a PH and upgrading (Also I am CA resident so I can do the monthly payment plan, right?)

2. If I buy it online today, and I don't go to DL until next month, will the start date of the AP be when I purchase it, or when I first use it?

Thanks!
The only advantages to doing the ticket upgrade is you will get magic morning with the 3 day+ park hopper, but it was had to be used before you do the upgrade. Also, if you buy from a discount vendor like get away today they typically will bridge the price. You can apply a ticket towards a payment plan.
The expiration date will be 365 days after the first day of use not the day of purchase. But be aware the AP voucher is usually only good for about 18 months then the amount paid towards it becomes “credit” towards current prices at the time. If you do the monthly plan online the payments begin immediately but your pass dates will be based on usage.

If you buy the ticket with MaxPass on it on the app or online you will get credit for the maxpass purchase price towards your upgrade. If you add MaxPass day by day then you will not get credit for the price towards your AP.
A couple things to check... are you upgrading to Flex Pass or something else? If Flex Pass you will need reservations for your visit that you won't need for the first 4 days if you buy a hopper and then upgrade. Also if you will use a Magic Morning then do the 4 day and then upgrade as you wont get that if you buy the AP initially.

If you purchase an Annual Pass online you have a full year (365 days) from the date of purchase to make your first visit to a Disneyland theme park. The clock on said pass will not start until you enter a Disneyland theme park. So you could purchase today and make your first visit 11 months from now and lose no days as the Annual Pass expiration date will reflect the date of your first visit and not purchase date.

If you purchase an Annual Pass online you have a full year (365 days) from the date of purchase to make your first visit to a Disneyland theme park. The clock on said pass will not start until you enter a Disneyland theme park. So you could purchase today and make your first visit 11 months from now and lose no days as the Annual Pass expiration date will reflect the date of your first visit and not purchase date.

This is good to know. I'm plan to buy my AP soon but I won't use it until my January 2020 trip. Thanks!!!

As the PPs said, the main benefit to the 4-day PH is that if you buy them in advance, you'll have access to one MM in DL. The drawback is that you won't be able to take advantage of any of the AP discounts or perks until you've upgraded your ticket.

Tickets from Undercover Tourist are also bridged (they apply the gate price of the ticket to the price of the AP so I was able to save a little money).

Just wanted to add that during our stay 2 weeks ago i thought i had purchased tickets with MP for DD and DH i hadn't I ended up buying it for them each day. When i went to upgrade their tickets to the Flex pass they asked if i had purchased MP i said yes and they asked for the email confirmation for both days i purchased and they gave me credit.

Now here is my main question: I will be buying my AP soon...then going to DL on Jan 17th...can I activate my AP on my DL app when I go thru the turnstile or do I have to go to the tix booth and set it up before going into the parks???

Hi,

Thanks!
Max Pass is now $15 per day, not $10, so 4 days of MP will cost you $60, not $40.

UPDATE: I decided to head to DL at the end of December for a day to purchase/renew my AP. When I got to the AP booth at DL, the CM asked what I wanted to do. I told him how I wanted to renew my lapsed pass. So I was given the price to renew my pass ($900). Now I did buy a 1-day 1-park tix on the DL App the day before because I knew my pass was blocked out the day I went (Sat 12/28). But because I was renewing my pass, the CM gave me a FREE 1-Day Park Hopper tix to use that same day. He then took my DL tix and applied the amount towards the purchase of the AP. So I got my passed renew, they applied my purchased tix towards payment and I was given a free DL tix with MaxPass for the day!!!! AWESOME!!!!!

Last edited:
The only advantages to doing the ticket upgrade is you will get magic morning with the 3 day+ park hopper, but it was had to be used before you do the upgrade. Also, if you buy from a discount vendor like get away today they typically will bridge the price. You can apply a ticket towards a payment plan.
The expiration date will be 365 days after the first day of use not the day of purchase. But be aware the AP voucher is usually only good for about 18 months then the amount paid towards it becomes “credit” towards current prices at the time. If you do the monthly plan online the payments begin immediately but your pass dates will be based on usage.

Actually now the Voucher is only good 12 months. I just bought vouchers on Dec 5, 2019 which I will activate on May 9th or 10th. My voucher says it ends 12/05/2020
I got Signature APs so our parking will be free, there is that expense to think about too. There are not a lot of scenarios where tickets to AP make sense if you know you are buying AP already. Your AP still starts on your 1st day of your ticket usage. So I agree with the advice of MM being the only real perk, even if I did Getaways today for a minor discount, it still would have cost more to park since I am getting parking with my AP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter