Dissapointed in Virgin

happyj

DIS Veteran
We have been flying Virgin to florida for 12 years .When we started it was the best but after the last flight the standards have certainly gone down,also looking for next year the prices have gone up.
There were no little extras the food was appauling .
.What has happened to being able to follow where we are on the flight .
:sad1:

we landed in florida last friday and the skymap was on the screens..
have to agree the food isnt up to much, we were in PE, 3 choices of meal- curry,seafood tagliatelle or chicken with garlic mash..

Flew out on the 9th August from Gatwick and I agree, it was bloody dreadful! No skymap all flight, IFE rubbish as usual ..... we took our eldest's best friend who had never flown before and his TV didn't work at all, very disappointing .... I should think their portable DVD players are just about worn up!!!! and the food ........................ well I've gotta say it was the worst in-flight meal we'd ever experienced!

£630 for an economy ticket ... Virgin you've gotta do better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely agree with the comments posted. Virgin was a quality airline and you flew knowing this was the best airline to the states. However the quality has been slipping over the past few years and our last flight returning from florida was our last with them. inflight entertainment had to be rebooted several times the aircraft interior looked quite shabby(part of the overhead compartment came away in my hand) we also had to endure a high pitch screeching sound whenever an annoncement came on which really helped our son sleep!!. sorry virgin but after 13 years with you I will be looking at continental this year!!!!

I agree with you. We flew with Virgin for the past 20 years. Sometimes 2 or 3 times a year. It has gone downhill. We went out on the 9th August. Pre-ordered a baby meal for granddaughter, did not have any on board. She could not a child's meal as they had no spare meals. We had brought all her food with us just in case. No Skymaps.
Coming back - Went to the downtown Disney to check in waited 90 minutes.
We only got offered a drink once that was with our meal. Came around only once with water or juice. Food was disgusting, husband meal was cold. Chocolate brownie was so dry you could not eat it.
The only reason we use Virgin was for the extra luggage allowance (now stopping) and flies direct from Man into MCO. For summer and Xmas 2010 we will be looking at another airline to use. Might return to using Sanford Airport.

I agree with you. We flew with Virgin for the past 20 years. Sometimes 2 or 3 times a year. It has gone downhill. We went out on the 9th August. Pre-ordered a baby meal for granddaughter, did not have any on board. She could not a child's meal as they had no spare meals. We had brought all her food with us just in case. No Skymaps.
Coming back - Went to the downtown Disney to check in waited 90 minutes.
We only got offered a drink once that was with our meal. Came around only once with water or juice. Food was disgusting, husband meal was cold. Chocolate brownie was so dry you could not eat it.
The only reason we use Virgin was for the extra luggage allowance (now stopping) and flies direct from Man into MCO. For summer and Xmas 2010 we will be looking at another airline to use. Might return to using Sanford Airport.

Hi there .... were you on the 11:15 from Gatwick??? I'm starting to see a pattern here!

we flew back on vs 16 friday and i have to say we will be looking at others next year! I used to work for them and loved the airline but they have gone down hill now

we had our IFE reset 3 times and still didnt work and the food was awful

We were not at all impressed this year - we've been out pricing up other companies and, with the reduced baggage allowance it is just not worth paying the extra.

The only way we will continue to fly with them is if hubby gets the Virgin black credit card and we save a decent amount of miles.

I am pleased to see it is not just us being picky.We have over 100.000 miles now and never seem to be able to use them .Sometimes miles + money but never for a free flight they always come up with no availability .So there is no reason for us to fly with them any more.Does anyone have good ideas on other airlines?

I would be pleased if I could use American Airlines - I've flown with them on two trips to New York and the service was fantastic. Mind you, not flown with them for a few years, so they could have gone downhill too for all I know!

I am pleased to see it is not just us being picky.We have over 100.000 miles now and never seem to be able to use them .Sometimes miles + money but never for a free flight they always come up with no availability .So there is no reason for us to fly with them any more.Does anyone have good ideas on other airlines?

When threads knocking Virgin start there is often as many defend them as knock them, seems like their service and quality of planes has hit a low, no-one defending? I started about 2 years ago saying how their service was going down the pan.
We have almost 200,000 miles to use, never see the deals anymore unless we fly to places like Washington, I guess they just don't need to do offers for Orlando. In the past saved about £5,000 using miles, including a free(£101 tax) outbound flight last August. They have been great. Hoping for a deal next August but not holding my breath.

Why can't the Orlando flights be upgraded and the same entertainement system as the planes that go to LA. I have to say it ws really good. However, everthing else was just the same old rubbish as the Orlando flights from Manchester that I have been on.

Hopefully there should be loads of bargins next summer for our miles Wayne, as everyone else is looking for flights with other carriers.

I'm afraid I already have my seat booked for next year with Virgin, but Mr Tesco paid for it, so I am willing to put up with them.:thumbsup2 The year after though, I will probably have to pay for it, so will look around.

I was looking at Manchester flights the other day for August and some of them wre £803.00:scared1: in economy

the flights from heathrow with virgin are so much better as there are more upper class and PE seats so they earn more from them, we flew from MIA last year with them and it was so much better than the MCO flights

I have just looked at BA so will wait to see what prices come up for our dates next year, only really want direct non stop flights as we will have 2 infants with us

Maybe I'll have to persuade DH to save miles so we can visit the locations from the Twilight books in Washington then!

The problem I see is a lack of quality opposition, especially flying direct from Manchester to MCO.
British Airways don't and many of the others fly to Sanford.

It's a long day so I want direct flights to MCO and preferably on a 747.

We have only ever flown Virgin and despite always looking at alternatives have always ended up back at square one.

I do agree service levels have dropped, though to be honest have never found the food particularly enjoyable but it's never bothered me that much. Being a fussy eater a lot of the dishes are not to my taste anyway.
I have numerous minor gripes from them wretched worcester sauce pretzels, rock hard tubs of ice cream and the woeful amenity kit you get for a PE upgrade. The fact us Northerners have to travel on what appear to be the less luxurious 747's, with no leather seats in PE , yet somehow have to pay the same price does annoy me slightly too.

My real concern is the overall cost of the holiday which is just getting out of hand now, even with miles & money the prices are sky high, but then you look at some of the competitors and they aren't necessarily a lot cheaper.

On our PE outbound flight this year upstairs I have to admit the level of service and quality of cabin crew was the best we have ever had - they really were excellent and extremely pleasant in every way.

If we can get upstairs seats next year I would be happy to use them again.

I am not sure what people expect from a flight,a s far as i am concerned it is only a method of transportation and as long as it gets me to my holiday destination safely and more or less on time i am happy, personally i would prefer it if they did not bother with food, it is easy to take our own, i do like a drink on board and the food does get in the way, we have used travel city direct planes for may years, some people hated them and they were quite often slated on thses boards, i am flying virgin from manchester in December and am very much looking forward to arriving in Orlando what ever the flight service is like.

I am not sure what people expect from a flight,a s far as i am concerned it is only a method of transportation and as long as it gets me to my holiday destination safely and more or less on time i am happy, personally i would prefer it if they did not bother with food, it is easy to take our own, i do like a drink on board and the food does get in the way, we have used travel city direct planes for may years, some people hated them and they were quite often slated on thses boards, i am flying virgin from manchester in December and am very much looking forward to arriving in Orlando what ever the flight service is like.

Fair comment if you're paying Easyjet prices, not £630 for an Economy flight in August!!!!!

Can't imagine RB would knock 100 quid off the price if we take a ham and egg sandwich onboard, instead they cut down on quality, drop the luggage allowance and keep the price the same ..... although I might add Gordon Brown's stealth taxes don't help the situation at all!

it is about ones own expectations i guess, i will pay the cheapest i can for a direct flight and do not care who it is with.

it is about ones own expectations i guess, i will pay the cheapest i can for a direct flight and do not care who it is with.

I think that makes a lot of sense ..... I'll certainly be shopping around from now on! Just need to use up the 100,000 airmiles (maybe a trip to Dubai's in order LOL)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter