Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Does POR offer giftcards for declining room service? If so, how do you participate?
We checked in on Wednesday, Dec 27. We did not do online check in. When we checked in at the desk we were offered a $70 gift card for declining mousekeeping. We took that offer. The gift card is emailed with a barcode for redeeming. Any housekeeping needs we might have (garbage emptied, more towels, etc) are handled with a quick call to housekeeping.

We love Por. We prefer to stay in the Magnolia Bend section (mansions). Take some time to enjoy the resort. Stroll the river paths. Sit in the gazebo and have your morning coffee, if your room is nearby, or just on a bench along the river. Take a carriage ride around the resort, or just watch them go by. Catch Bob Jackson’s show in the lounge. Fav dish in the food court is the make your own pasta. Yum. It’s large enough for 2.
Visit the fishing hole even if you don’t fish. It’s a pretty and serene place to take in wild life, birds. And if it’s the same CM that’s been there years, he is very knowledgeable about the resort, and pointing out birds.
Thanks for the info! That all sounds wonderful ☺️ I will definitely want to check out the fishing hole. Fishing at Disney is on my DH's bucket list.

We are staying at POR .. did not pay for a nicer view but is it something to put as a request for an upgrade in check in notes if they have availability?

Hi folks! I'm looking forward to staying at POR for the first time at the end of the month - 1/25-29/18. It will be just my DD11 and I, although we'll be with a larger dance group. Since it's a group thing, we can't really request a particular area or anything, so I have no idea where we'll be...Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or tips regarding the bus service specific to a "slower" time of year. I know there aren't any really "slow" times these days, but I'm used to spring break so I figure this must be a little slower...for example...

Will POR likely share buses with POFQ? Are all four depots always open? Am I better off hoofing it to a particular depot even if it's farther away?

Any thoughts appreciated - thanks!

We are staying at POR .. did not pay for a nicer view but is it something to put as a request for an upgrade in check in notes if they have availability?
It’s never a good idea to ask for a free upgrade. If you’re willing to pay, sure. But, I believe of you ask for an upgrade at check in, you may loose your discount and have to pay full price for better room. So it’s best to book what you want.

We've had good luck asking for a nice view when we have booked a standard view room. I have the request added to the reservation. We didn't get an upgrade but we did get a pleasant view within our category. :)

We've had good luck asking for a nice view when we have booked a standard view room. I have the request added to the reservation. We didn't get an upgrade but we did get a pleasant view within our category. :)
Us too. I look at the resort maps on Por thread with room categories and request an area I like in my classification. Usually I book garden view which can have some very nice views. I’ve also gotten a decent standard view, it was close to the back but not dead on parking lot view, that was before they changed view classifications so maybe now it would be considered garden view, although if I booked gv I wouldn’t be happy with it, but for standard it was good.

It’s never a good idea to ask for a free upgrade. If you’re willing to pay, sure.

That's always my theory too. Ask in your request if an upgrade might be available, and mention that you would be happy to pay the price difference. In my experience they rarely (never?) ask for an extra fee and do it as a "pixie dust" upgrade, but it just puts you in a better light and does not seem like you are merely asking for something you have not paid for.

Andre

We stayed at POR 12/14-12/21.

Overall it was a good experience, and I would definitely stay again.

We were in building 80 (Acadian) in a very quiet area away from the main section. It was fairly close to the bus stop and not a bad walk to the main buildings.

I was very worried about the bus situation, but it wasn’t a problem. We were the 2nd pick up/ drop off stop. I’d say the whole trip we sat half the time and stood half the time. It wasn’t a big deal.

The room was pretty clean and we had no issues with house keeping.

The boat to Disney Springs was nice.

We did the horse and carriage ride, which was fun, but I’m not sure I would do it again for the price ($55).

My only real problem with the stay was the QS/ food court. We thought the selections for breakfast and lunch weren’t great and the food was pretty mediocre. Several of the food servers were unfriendly. And every single time we ate there (4 times), we had to sit at a dirty table.

However, as a compulsive ice chewer, POR had some of the best ice I have ever had in my entire life. I still dream about it today. :p

Overall, it really was a nice stay. The resort is beautiful and peaceful. We enjoyed it.

ETA....I saw one dog the whole week. It was a total non-issue.

Last edited:
We stayed at POR 12/14-12/21.

Overall it was a good experience, and I would definitely stay again.

We were in building 80 (Acadian) in a very quiet area away from the main section. It was fairly close to the bus stop and not a bad walk to the main buildings.

I was very worried about the bus situation, but it wasn’t a problem. We were the 2nd pick up/ drop off stop. I’d say the whole trip we sat half the time and stood half the time. It wasn’t a big deal.

The room was pretty clean and we had no issues with house keeping.

The boat to Disney Springs was nice.

We did the horse and carriage ride, which was fun, but I’m not sure I would do it again for the price ($55).

My only real problem with the stay was the QS/ food court. We thought the selections for breakfast and lunch weren’t great and the food was pretty mediocre. Several of the food servers were unfriendly. And every single time we ate there (4 times), we had to sit at a dirty table.

However, as a compulsive ice chewer, POR had some of the best ice I have ever had in my entire life. I still dream about it today. :p

Overall, it really was a nice stay. The resort is beautiful and peaceful. We enjoyed it.

ETA....I saw one dog the whole week. It was a total non-issue.
In the mornings they have a make your own omelet bar and then it turns into a make your own pasta bar- best things at the food court imo.
We loved Acadian, had 2 stays there, we request a location close to the Old Man Island foot bridge. Great central location.

Does anyone know if you can still decline housekeeping to receive the gift card if you already did online check in?

Sorry I looked but I cannot find out which buildings at POR are dog friendly. I am looking at a Royal room and would like to avoid a doggy room due to allergies. Oak Manor looks good but are dogs allowed there? Thank you!

Sorry I looked but I cannot find out which buildings at POR are dog friendly. I am looking at a Royal room and would like to avoid a doggy room due to allergies. Oak Manor looks good but are dogs allowed there? Thank you!
You may be somewhat less likely to get a pet dog room at Oak Mannor, but due to the sudden rollout of this new policy, someone who booked a royal room in advance of the rollout and now brings a pet dog along may be given a royal room.
You should request an allergy deep cleaning ahead of time to be on the safe side, because any room could have had a service dog staying in it before you anyway.
Also, Oak Mannor would only be a request and not a guarantee.

I believe there are specific rooms where doggies are allowed, I’m not sure if Oak is one of the buildings where dogs are allowed.
To be safe, 5 days before arrival you can fax the POR Room assignor and explain your allergies. If they know why you are requesting something they can better find a room that suits your needs in the area you like.
I came to WDW after knee surgery, requested Oak Manor, faxed request and told them about surgery, my room was in a perfect location for me. They do a great job.

Ok everyone. I need some help. Getting ready to book our room for August. It will be our 25th Anniversary and also my 50th birthday. I am wanting to book a preferred building but also water view. How do I go about doing this? I see where I can choose preferred or water view, but not both. What is the best way to do this?

TIA

Paula

We love Por. We prefer to stay in the Magnolia Bend section (mansions). Take some time to enjoy the resort. Stroll the river paths. Sit in the gazebo and have your morning coffee, if your room is nearby, or just on a bench along the river. Take a carriage ride around the resort, or just watch them go by. Catch Bob Jackson’s show in the lounge. Fav dish in the food court is the make your own pasta. Yum. It’s large enough for 2.
Visit the fishing hole even if you don’t fish. It’s a pretty and serene place to take in wild life, birds. And if it’s the same CM that’s been there years, he is very knowledgeable about the resort, and pointing out birds.

My husband proposed in the gazebo :-). All your suggestions are perfect for a stay at POR! Makes me miss it!

I'm booked for POR May 4-12. Got a royal garden view with the current offer. I've stayed at AKL once and Pop twice, and have never visited Riverside. We're not too picky about resorts, however; I absolutely love Pop with all its vivid color and tackiness and silliness, but I am excited about Riverside's romantic atmosphere for our tenth anniversary.

My only concern about POR is the bus service. I've seen conflicting reports over the years. For reference, I've always found Pop's bus service very timely and convenient, and we don't mind if we have to wait a few minutes or stand when a bus does come around. I'm actually one of those weirdos who thinks Disney buses are kind of fun (I love seeing everyone excited to go to the park in the morning). With so many POR stops and shared service with FQ, however, I'm a little nervous. How has the bus service at this resort been lately?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter