Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

My kids and I are watching the men's US soccer team play a friendly match and we are talking about how the World Cup will be happening when we are staying at POR in June 2018. We are all worried about missing out on games since FOX has the broadcast rights and not ESPN (they had 2014). Does anyone know if the Fox Sport channels are available at WDW? We will be really sad :( if we will miss out on 12 days of World Cup soccer.

[QUOTE="jaminmd, post: 57684266, member: 216171"
We have never used Uber - any tips for a newbie?[/QUOTE]

I realize this is NOT the forum for Uber discussions, there is plenty of that on the Transportation board, but since you asked I am happy to answer your question!
Yes, download the Uber app to your phone. I think your first ride is free. You have to put in credit card information that is stored within the app. When you need a ride, you open the app, plug in where you want to go (it knows your location) and a little map shows you little cars indicating where the drivers near you are with an ETA of their arrival to you (usually within minutes). You can then submit a request for a ride, and up pops the driver's name, picture, information, car type and license plate number so you can identify them when they arrive. You can then watch their little car driving toward you on the map - it's actually kind of cool! When they arrive, it works basically like a taxi, except when you get out, there is no payment transaction involved. The cost, including the tip, is charged to your credit card right from the app. Super convenient! After you do it once, you will get the hang of it.

We have used WDW taxis on many previous trips, and usually spend between $18-20 with tip for each ride depending on where we are going. An example of Uber charges we incurred from Port Orleans Riverside during our stay, INCLUDING THE TIP (be aware the prices vary a little from time of day, demand, holidays, etc.):

POR to Beach Club (morning): $6.47
POR to Contemporary (evening) $7.44
POR to Animal Kingdom (early morning) $9.64
POR to Polynesian (evening) $7.16
Boardwalk to POR (evening) $7.42
POR to Beach club (evening) $6.55

We generally utilize the Disney buses (or walk or boat depending on where we are staying) for most of our transportation needs. I realize many people are very wary of private car services, with good reason, so I know it isn't for everyone. But, in my own opinion, the convenience of door-to-door service can't be beat on super hot days or when you are tired or pressed for time.

I realize this is NOT the forum for Uber discussions, there is plenty of that on the Transportation board, but since you asked I am happy to answer your question!
Yes, download the Uber app to your phone. I think your first ride is free. You have to put in credit card information that is stored within the app. When you need a ride, you open the app, plug in where you want to go (it knows your location) and a little map shows you little cars indicating where the drivers near you are with an ETA of their arrival to you (usually within minutes). You can then submit a request for a ride, and up pops the driver's name, picture, information, car type and license plate number so you can identify them when they arrive. You can then watch their little car driving toward you on the map - it's actually kind of cool! When they arrive, it works basically like a taxi, except when you get out, there is no payment transaction involved. The cost, including the tip, is charged to your credit card right from the app. Super convenient! After you do it once, you will get the hang of it.

We have used WDW taxis on many previous trips, and usually spend between $18-20 with tip for each ride depending on where we are going. An example of Uber charges we incurred from Port Orleans Riverside during our stay, INCLUDING THE TIP (be aware the prices vary a little from time of day, demand, holidays, etc.):

POR to Beach Club (morning): $6.47
POR to Contemporary (evening) $7.44
POR to Animal Kingdom (early morning) $9.64
POR to Polynesian (evening) $7.16
Boardwalk to POR (evening) $7.42
POR to Beach club (evening) $6.55

We generally utilize the Disney buses (or walk or boat depending on where we are staying) for most of our transportation needs. I realize many people are very wary of private car services, with good reason, so I know it isn't for everyone. But, in my own opinion, the convenience of door-to-door service can't be beat on super hot days or when you are tired or pressed for time.

This is very useful information. Thanks!

This is very useful information. Thanks!

The first ride is free if you use an invite code. Anyone who already has Uber can give you the code. Check with your friends and family because if you sign up with thier code once you use your free ride they will get a credit to thier account. If you do need a code PM me and I'll send you one but I bet someone you know uses uber.

My kids and I are watching the men's US soccer team play a friendly match and we are talking about how the World Cup will be happening when we are staying at POR in June 2018. We are all worried about missing out on games since FOX has the broadcast rights and not ESPN (they had 2014). Does anyone know if the Fox Sport channels are available at WDW? We will be really sad :( if we will miss out on 12 days of World Cup soccer.
Amazon fire stick

Cheap, small, has the fox channel apps

Really bummed about Disney taking away the bed runner and bolster. They seem to be removing anything making rooms special and unique. Doing this at all resorts, I don't care for the generic look either.

It's not just generic - it looks like a hospital room. :sad2:

All of this! I understand having an all-white bed is great for quick visuals on cleanliness, and it's easier maintenance to bleach all the linens, but it clashes for so many resort themes. POR-Royal Guest Rooms are the prime example for me :scared:

Omg. I was just lamenting this to my partner and explained people had stolen the linens, etc. etc.

Did a quick ebay search and found two listings for the RGR bed runners!!! Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Port...749926?hash=item3f73cceea6:g:FuQAAOSw5ZBWLSfk

I like how they freely list the condition as used and then, "Condition: Excellent condition; some light wear & minor stains ( bleach stains ) from use, staining is minimal / hard to find" "100% Authentic Bed Runner / Scarf from Disney's Port Orleans Riverside Resort!" "Used in the guest rooms at resort, not sold to the public"

Of course I can't use my amateur sleuthing skills to determine if this seller somehow legitimately got these from Disney. (If they did, I want to know how :laughing:) And their store has bed runners/other hotel decor from every resort, so maybe Disney regularly sells off removed accents. How else would someone obtain these HEADBOARDS from WL:rotfl:

But my first reaction was "ah yes, now I see why people stole these... gray market for used Disney resort memorabilia" :rolleyes:

I guess we should just buy the runners and bring them on vacation with us :rotfl2:

Omg. I was just lamenting this to my partner and explained people had stolen the linens, etc. etc.

Did a quick ebay search and found two listings for the RGR bed runners!!! Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Port...749926?hash=item3f73cceea6:g:FuQAAOSw5ZBWLSfk

I like how they freely list the condition as used and then, "Condition: Excellent condition; some light wear & minor stains ( bleach stains ) from use, staining is minimal / hard to find" "100% Authentic Bed Runner / Scarf from Disney's Port Orleans Riverside Resort!" "Used in the guest rooms at resort, not sold to the public"

Of course I can't use my amateur sleuthing skills to determine if this seller somehow legitimately got these from Disney. (If they did, I want to know how :laughing:) And their store has bed runners/other hotel decor from every resort, so maybe Disney regularly sells off removed accents. How else would someone obtain these HEADBOARDS from WL:rotfl:

But my first reaction was "ah yes, now I see why people stole these... gray market for used Disney resort memorabilia" :rolleyes:

I guess we should just buy the runners and bring them on vacation with us :rotfl2:

There are liquidators of used Disney resort furniture and soft goods. I forget the name of the place though. I looked at their online store a while ago and they had WL furniture for sale. It's possible people buy from the liquidator and then eBay it.

There are liquidators of used Disney resort furniture and soft goods. I forget the name of the place though. I looked at their online store a while ago and they had WL furniture for sale. It's possible people buy from the liquidator and then eBay it.

Liquidators! Of course! I just googled around and saw some, very interesting. Now I'm reading some blog posts on people who are redecorating with ex-Disney goods. Not quite at that level yet, but it all looks fun. :)

I still wish Disney could keep linens and bed runners in the rooms, but they have good justification for getting rid of them.

Just got back late last night from our mini-Disney vacation. Booked a POR 2-queen garden room on a UOC three weeks ago. Did the Touring Plans fax for an AB room, with possibly a king-sized bed (because we were there to celebrate our 15th anniversary without our kids - but with the code, I was having a hard time getting availability for a King), building 28 or 17 (so non-preferred, but between West and South Depot bus stops), 2nd floor. Worked perfectly! Got our 2nd choice room, building 28 room 2856. It was perfect! Good location (obviously preferred would have been closer, but since I wanted a king bed more, so that's all I requested) - we got on the bus at the South Depot (last stop) and off at West (first stop), walked to POFQ for gf beignets, boat to Disney Springs, etc. Last trip with the kids, we did a split stay between BCV and CR and honestly, while the walk to MK was amazing from CR, we'd totally stay at POR again - especially for the price difference. Included a pic of the newly "naked" bed.

Last edited:
Got our 2nd choice room, building 28 room 2856. It was perfect! Good location (obviously preferred would have been closer, but since I wanted a king bed more, so that's all I requested)
Thanks for the mini trip report. I'm glad you got what you requested. We like that the king rooms are often on the corner. It makes it look more cheerful. :) We've had a king both times we stayed there. :)

Just got back late last night from our mini-Disney vacation. Booked a POR 2-queen garden room on a UOC three weeks ago. Did the Touring Plans fax for an AB room, with possibly a king-sized bed (because we were there to celebrate our 15th anniversary without our kids - but with the code, I was having a hard time getting availability for a King), building 28 or 17 (so non-preferred, but between West and South Depot bus stops), 2nd floor. Worked perfectly! Got our 2nd choice room, building 28 room 2856. It was perfect! Good location (obviously preferred would have been closer, but since I wanted a king bed more, so that's all I requested) - we got on the bus at the South Depot (last stop) and off at West (first stop), walked to POFQ for gf beignets, boat to Disney Springs, etc. Last trip with the kids, we did a split stay between BCV and CR and honestly, while the walk to MK was amazing from CR, we'd totally stay at POR again - especially for the price difference. Included a pic of the newly "naked" bed.

Love the resort pics but naked bed looks truly awful!!

Sigh. I can't wait to be there...but, every time I see a picture of the rooms in AB I like it so much better than the mansion decor, but I like the exteriors and location of the mansions better.

What to request... I seriously think this is the toughest decision of this trip! I think I'm going to let DD decide when we tell her we're going.

I'm getting the best of both worlds - I have POR (AB, preferred) booked for when the 5 of us go in August & I have POFQ (garden view) booked for when it's just 2 of us in November/December.
First time visitor to the resorts & the first time I've ever had back to back trips, let alone 2 in the same year. I'm super excited :yay::yay::yay:

I don't know if this is the right place for this question but here goes- What is the transportation like during Christmas/New Years week? I have read that POR shares a bus with POFQ, but that during busy times they can have separate buses. We are rope droppers, and like to get the the parks 45 minutes or so before park opening. Am I going to have a hard time getting on a bus, will they be full of POFQ guests? Thanks!

I don't know if this is the right place for this question but here goes- What is the transportation like during Christmas/New Years week? I have read that POR shares a bus with POFQ, but that during busy times they can have separate buses. We are rope droppers, and like to get the the parks 45 minutes or so before park opening. Am I going to have a hard time getting on a bus, will they be full of POFQ guests? Thanks!

You shouldn't have any issues, just make sure to get to the bus stop a little earlier than you're used to. If you can get to the South depot, that's probably your best bet of getting on a bus.

The Riverside bus is only shared with FQ during the slow times. Trying to get to rope drop isn't a slow time, so there shouldn't be any sharing during that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter