• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

We are planning Feb. 2018 and I am on the fence about a Royal Room. DD will be 5. I am sure this has been asked azillion times, but is it worth it over a standard room? I do like the location of the RR as they seem pretty close to the food court.
Because I much prefer the Magnolia Bend mansion section I ask for a Royal Room because it's the only way to guarantee I won't be put in the Bayou section. So for me it's worth it for that reason. The rooms are very nice too, but not so much nicer than the regular rooms in MB. So my only reason is they come with a MB guarantee.

Well I went preferred based on number of rooms, worse case I am in the four buildings vs garden I could be across the resort completely, which has happened and my wife goes nuts on me lol
I guess we've been lucky. I travel with friends, and we meet up in WDW, can have 3 rooms, sometimes 2 and we have been lucky enough to get them near each other at both Por resorts. The POR room assignors are the best!

Well I went preferred based on number of rooms, worse case I am in the four buildings vs garden I could be across the resort completely, which has happened and my wife goes nuts on me lol

Even in Preferred if you happen to be in different buildings you could still be a bit of a walk apart. I would suggest booking the category you want and then make sure that all of the reservations are pre-linked on the Disney booking system, and with notes added to each reservation saying you want to be close together. Then send a FAX 5 days before you arrive, quoting all the confirmation numbers, saying that these three rooms are one party who would like to be close together. I would be very surprised if doing all three of those things did not work for you.

Andre

I pack the single serve instant oatmeal (Quaker) and use hot water from the Coffee Maker in the room. No microwave needed. But yes, there are microwaves (and toasters) in the food court for guest use.

Are the coffee makers similar to a Keurig, but pods? So I would just not put in the coffee and just get the hot water? I'm not well versed in coffee makers :(.

Are the coffee makers similar to a Keurig, but pods? So I would just not put in the coffee and just get the hot water? I'm not well versed in coffee makers :(.
The coffee makers in the rooms are Cuisinart dual-cup ‘pod’ coffee machines. They don't use "K" cups. Yes, if you don't put the coffee pod in, you can just make a cup of hot water to make your instant oatmeal.

We are arriving in 9 days :yay: and I wanted to know if anybody had spotted the Magic Keepers in the gift shop. I tried to order them through Merchandise Guest Services yesterday because they are in the parks now and they had no idea what I was talking about :sad2:

So I asked for advise twice and got good feedback but now I am thinking of reversing my plan. Please tell me what you think of this idea.

We have 12 people in three rooms booked for preferred, mostly to help guarantee being closer together. (We have never ever got connecting/adjoining rooms and my wife hates it but the cost savings over two family suites is worth the risk, to me anyway lol)
The cost difference of preferred to garden is close to $400 a room but being close to each other is worth it to my wife.
So my thought is this, when we get there and are checking in, ask if they have standard/garden rooms available that are close together and if so "downgrade".
Has anyone done something like this before? I could see Disney/cm not being honest about it since they would be losing money and is it even an option for a room only reservation?
I did a trip last Thanksgiving with DD and we really wanted connecting rooms.
Before I did anything I looked at Andre's website and counted how many connecting rooms in each category there was and booked the one with the most, in hopes of getting one.
I made connecting rooms our only request. Didn't care building, floor, anything but for connecting.
I use the TP fax service, included both confirmation numbers and listed connecting rooms as our only request. We got connecting rooms.
So if garden has the most connecting rooms, go with it. If Preferred does, go with it. And ask for it as the only request.
If it's just adjoining you want, I'd go with the one that has the most rooms period. The more rooms in the category, the better odds of getting it, at least in my brain.
I wouldn't count on a switch after arrival to a different category of room.

I did a trip last Thanksgiving with DD and we really wanted connecting rooms.
Before I did anything I looked at Andre's website and counted how many connecting rooms in each category there was and booked the one with the most, in hopes of getting one.
I made connecting rooms our only request. Didn't care building, floor, anything but for connecting.
I use the TP fax service, included both confirmation numbers and listed connecting rooms as our only request. We got connecting rooms.
So if garden has the most connecting rooms, go with it. If Preferred does, go with it. And ask for it as the only request.
If it's just adjoining you want, I'd go with the one that has the most rooms period. The more rooms in the category, the better odds of getting it, at least in my brain.
I wouldn't count on a switch after arrival to a different category of room.
I didn't think of it that way, garden def has the most.
I'm just nervous because, like I said, out of prob 15 trips we have never got connecting or even adjoining (even at CBR which I believe is the largest). Granted I never faxed, only had it on the reservation.
My real nervousness is my wife wanting to kill me. I already talked her out of a family suite for POR which is saving us a few thousand but to her being close is more important then the money.

I might try your plan though. Statistically there is a higher shot in garden to be connecting/adjoining.
I was looking at it as worse case, statistically I can only be ___ buildings away from each other.

Granted I never faxed, only had it on the reservation.

To quote Yoda.... "that is why you fail" :) Certainly at POR anyway, faxing about 5 days before you arrive (no more than that) has a pretty good success rate. Especially as about 50% of the rooms at the resort connect. But do make sure the reservations are linked in advance and requests added anyway - and let them know that you aren't worried if your rooms are not necessarily ready when you arrive, just that when you get them they are connecting.

Andre

Can someone please tell me the address and any info on how to ship packages to this resort or where I can find that info? TIA!

Well you could start with the FAQ in the first post of this thread (http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...ort-information-and-questions-thread.3374035/). Followed by the Sticky FAQ at the top of the forum you are currently reading (http://www.disboards.com/threads/shipping-to-and-from-disney-resorts-faq-new.3435904/)

Andre

I read the first post and I saw the address, but I wasn't sure if it was also the mailing address or if there was any other info I needed to know. This website was helpful though. http://www.portorleans.org/
Thanks.

Does anyone have experience with the preferred rooms & locations? I'm wondering if there is a building in that to request (or not request) because it is the path of all foot traffic going to the pool etc...
Are there photos of room views somewhere?

Does anyone have experience with the preferred rooms & locations? I'm wondering if there is a building in that to request (or not request) because it is the path of all foot traffic going to the pool etc...
Are there photos of room views somewhere?
You can see views for rooms at all of the resorts on touringplans.com. you choose the resort and room type and it will bring up the buildings that have rooms in that category. Click on the building and it brings up a map where you can click on each room to see its view.
I'm not any help on the traffic part of the question.

Hi there! POR newbie, as we're (probably) changing from CBR to POR for our next stay. We're a family of 3, including DD who will be 8 when we go. We're not getting a Royal room, but will book a garden view. I've browsed the thread a bit, but I'll admit I'm lazy and excited and want to jump right in, so...are there garden rooms in the mansions that aren't preferred? I've checked on Touring Plans and they only show garden views in AB, but the maps on portorleans.org show garden rooms in the mansions, and my quick perusal here says that is correct? Can someone give me the down and dirty so I can join in on the fun here? Thanks!

Hi there! POR newbie, as we're (probably) changing from CBR to POR for our next stay. We're a family of 3, including DD who will be 8 when we go. We're not getting a Royal room, but will book a garden view. I've browsed the thread a bit, but I'll admit I'm lazy and excited and want to jump right in, so...are there garden rooms in the mansions that aren't preferred? I've checked on Touring Plans and they only show garden views in AB, but the maps on portorleans.org show garden rooms in the mansions, and my quick perusal here says that is correct? Can someone give me the down and dirty so I can join in on the fun here? Thanks!

The mansions aren't preferred locations. Preferred buildings are only in AB. I believe that's what you're asking! You'll find GV in both sections.

The mansions aren't preferred locations. Preferred buildings are only in AB. I believe that's what you're asking! You'll find GV in both sections.
Thanks! I was asking for non-preferred, garden view in the mansions. I mistakenly thought all the mansions were all royal rooms. I'll be requesting Magnolia Terrace! I hope since we're a family of just 3 we get it.

Yes, they are Cusinart single serve. Has 2 sides so can do 2 cups at a time. Similar idea to Keurig.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter