• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

I really don't think you will be disappointed if you swap to POR, it really is a lovely resort and the grounds and theming are gorgeous. The only thing you might miss would be the indoor corridor access to your room, and room service I guess - and of course the wonderful lobby at WL. And there's nothing to stop you visiting WL for a meal one evening with the $800 you'll save...

Have you checked out http://www.portorleans.org/topten.php ?

Andre

Thank you :) I will. We did love the room service... but I have a very limited palette so I would be fine with the chicken nuggets delivered to the room from POR ( and I'm sure we would just go to the food court and get them LOL but I was surprised to see them on the delivery menu along w pizza)....

Now the big decision is the room (if we switch)...preferred or RR Garden. The preferred would guarantee us we are close enough for my husband to not have a problem, but it just doesn't have that wow factor that wilderness Lodge has ( again, this is from trying to tell by looking at videos online)...

Do you know if you can request a microwave ? I think I saw the rooms have refrigerators which is great because before we had so much leftover food we just saved some of it.

We were pleasantly surprised by how much we liked POR. The resort rooms in the alligator bayou section have the feel of the WL resort rooms, although not quite as nice. The food court is very nice and Boatwrights is a good restaurant. We loved the pool area. The pool bar is huge and has several tables under the roof. We took advantage of that roof on several rainy afternoons at the pool. The only thing we really didn't like was the resort buses. We experienced some extremely long waits at park close when we were at DHS and Epcot.

Hi! Thanks for responding, I know I was just talking to you over on the wilderness Lodge thread ... I can tell you if that menu comes out (Geyser Point) and it's all weird stuff we're definitely switching :)

Our solution for the buses is we are going to take Uber if it becomes a big issue .. I understand you can only take Uber to the transportation and TicketCenter ...which is fine.

What you said about the room was exactly what I was talking about.. did it bother you? We were totally in awe of the room at WL ... so maybe that's why the solution would be the Royal Room.

But I think the biggest thing for us is that if we do switch to POR, we could probably go back at Christmas and most definitely go every year without causing a big financial issue .

Our solution for the buses is we are going to take Uber if it becomes a big issue .. I understand you can only take Uber to the transportation and TicketCenter ...which is fine.
We had taken a taxi to DHS and they dropped us off in the parking lot near the bus depot. We were trying to get into Fantasmic before our fastpasses expired. We made it, too. ;) Our son had taken a taxi back from Epcot instead of waiting in the long line, which saved him about an hour. And we took a taxi to Polynesian for dinner at Ohana. It was the easiest and quickest way to travel.

What you said about the room was exactly what I was talking about.. did it bother you? We were totally in awe of the room at WL ... so maybe that's why the solution would be the Royal Room.
We were fine with the room at POR. It didn't have the nice dresser and closet that the WL room had, but it was roomy. We like the atmosphere of Alligator Bayou. The mansion section doesn't appeal to us. But if I ever did a girls trip I would definitely consider staying in a Royal room. ::yes::

Oooo very helpful :) i'm seriously considering doing it it would take so much stress off :)

Where would you pick up a cab or Uber when leaving the park ?? We only went to Magic Kingdom the last time and I haven't been to the other parks since I was a kid

That makes me laugh too because I didn't notice the closet .. i'm not a girly girl at all...but I love princesses LOL which is why were considering the Royal room

We were totally in awe of the room at WL ... so maybe that's why the solution would be the Royal Room.

I've stayed in all three room types at POR. The Royal Rooms are fun for kids (and kids at heart :) ) but to be honest having done them once or twice I would say that if the price was better for the regular section (either Alligator Bayou or mansion buildings, both are good in their own distinct ways) then I'd be just as happy with the regular rooms. Don't rule out AB, it's kinda fun and probably closer to what you'd find in WL than the mansions are. I would put in a request for a room fairly close to the main buildings by the way - or you can guarantee that by booking Preferred Location (which would mean Alligator Bayou) or Royal Room Pool View also means a room not too far from the main areas.

Have you taken a look at the 360° room views on my website by the way, at http://www.portorleans.org/panoramas-rooms.php ?

Andre

GUESS WHHHHAT??? I am on the phone, right now.... :yay::thanks:...

I watched a bunch of videos...we are saving $668, preferred room.

:thumbsup2 I really don't think you'll be disappointed, just go into it knowing that it's not a Deluxe, and knowing in advance what features you won't have, and I'm sure you'll have a great time. I would suggest requesting a bayou-facing room rather than parking lot view, and building 14 is the closest to the main area (although to be honest all four Preferred Buildings are fine).

POR does have the reputation of being a Moderate that Deluxe fans find they enjoy saving quite a lot of money at. :)

POR-AB-2011-3522_forum.jpg

Now you just need to work out what you are going to do with that extra $668 - have fun! Don't forget to come back after your stay and let us know how it worked out for you.

Andre

Last edited:
GUESS WHHHHAT??? I am on the phone, right now.... :yay::thanks:...

I watched a bunch of videos...we are saving $668, preferred room.
You are going to LOVE POR! Enjoy! I wish I was there right now. -11 F with the wind chill right now with a foot of snow coming down all night and the wind howling here in Maine.

Thank you :) I will. We did love the room service... but I have a very limited palette so I would be fine with the chicken nuggets delivered to the room from POR ( and I'm sure we would just go to the food court and get them LOL but I was surprised to see them on the delivery menu along w pizza)....

Now the big decision is the room (if we switch)...preferred or RR Garden. The preferred would guarantee us we are close enough for my husband to not have a problem, but it just doesn't have that wow factor that wilderness Lodge has ( again, this is from trying to tell by looking at videos online)...

Do you know if you can request a microwave ? I think I saw the rooms have refrigerators which is great because before we had so much leftover food we just saved some of it.

I did not know there were that many things on the room service menu! Good to know if I'm tired or don't want to deal with the crowd.

I've stayed in all three room types at POR. The Royal Rooms are fun for kids (and kids at heart :) ) but to be honest having done them once or twice I would say that if the price was better for the regular section (either Alligator Bayou or mansion buildings, both are good in their own distinct ways) then I'd be just as happy with the regular rooms. Don't rule out AB, it's kinda fun and probably closer to what you'd find in WL than the mansions are. I would put in a request for a room fairly close to the main buildings by the way - or you can guarantee that by booking Preferred Location (which would mean Alligator Bayou) or Royal Room Pool View also means a room not too far from the main areas.

Have you taken a look at the 360° room views on my website by the way, at http://www.portorleans.org/panoramas-rooms.php ?

Andre

Agreed. I'm glad I stayed in a RR, and I'm not saying I wouldn't do it again, but I'd rather put my money elsewhere for the most part. It's definitely worth doing once though, even if you don't have kids.

:thumbsup2 I really don't think you'll be disappointed, just go into it knowing that it's not a Deluxe, and knowing in advance what features you won't have, and I'm sure you'll have a great time. I would suggest requesting a bayou-facing room rather than parking lot view, and building 14 is the closest to the main area (although to be honest all four Preferred Buildings are fine).

POR does have the reputation of being a Moderate that Deluxe fans find they enjoy saving quite a lot of money at. :)

Now you just need to work out what you are going to do with that extra $668 - have fun! Don't forget to come back after your stay and let us know how it worked out for you.

Andre

Ahhhh...my home away from home! I am so excited to be going there in less than TWO WEEKS! It's so close now, and I have missed it so much!

Andre

That's a great picture! It's a good thing you said that, I assumed none of the preferred rooms had parking lot views so I will call back.

Yes, it's nice not to have to spend that extra money. Once I saw the alligator in the theming (which I am embarrassed to say I don't know his name?!) I was ok with it..we loved chip and dale at the WL in the showers. We don't need the murphy bed obviously but the alligator is adorable.

I've stayed in both POR and WL, and I think you made the right choice.

After WL, the only thing we missed (well, just DW, to be honest) was the fitness center. POR

POR has a MUCH better QS than WL. A million times so. We also enjoyed Boatwright's more than Whispering Canyon by quite a bit.

After WL, the only thing we missed (well, just DW, to be honest) was the fitness center. POR

POR has a MUCH better QS than WL. A million times so. We also enjoyed Boatwright's more than Whispering Canyon by quite a bit.

We loved Roaring Fork believe it or not ...one of the reasons we switched is because it's closed ! I haven't even looked at boatwrights menu!

Agreed. I had a hard time finding something to eat at Roaring Fork for some reason.

Agreed. I had a hard time finding something to eat at Roaring Fork for some reason.

I ate chicken nuggets and a hamburger over and over lol! Do you think they will make me a plain prime rib burger at the QS at POR? It has a bunch of toppings I can't eat... otherwise I would get the kids burger.

I can't eat cheese, pork, or shellfish (migraine triggers and hives for the last one).

I ate chicken nuggets and a hamburger over and over lol! Do you think they will make me a plain prime rib burger at the QS at POR?

Everything is put together directly at the counters at the food court, so you can order it any way you like. Don't ignore the idea of Boatwright's one night by the way, it's a little hidden gem that is often overlooked. More upscale than Whispering Canyon, but not quite at the level (or prices) of Artist Point. Nice food though, worth checking out the menu.

Andre

Everything is put together directly at the counters at the food court, so you can order it any way you like. Don't ignore the idea of Boatwright's one night by the way, it's a little hidden gem that is often overlooked. More upscale than Whispering Canyon, but not quite at the level (or prices) of Artist Point. Nice food though, worth checking out the menu.

Andre

That's good... I see a lot more options esp the carving station.

I looked at Boatwrights quickly and saw a lot of shellfish ... and steak which I can eat ...

We never ate at WcC

Last edited:
That's good... I see a lot more options esp the carving station.

I looked at Boatwrights quickly and saw a lot of shellfish ... and steak which I can eat ... I assume they can customized those plates too... I hope..

We never ate at WcC

---

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter