• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

I would like to ask, however, if we have a garden view what will that usually give me? Its not the parking lot, so I'm assuming a view of another building and trees or a fountain.

Yep, that's it. You'll be facing "inward," as opposed to outward toward the parking lots or outward toward the river. If you're ground floor, you may also be facing the pool area (only the upper floors overlooking the pool area count as "pool view.") So far I've had 2 Garden Views, Bldg 5 3rd floor facing the lawn where they show the movies, and Bldg 2 ground floor facing the pool area and not far from the boat dock - I thought both were good locations.

We have riverview on all but 2 trips. We were in building 1, 5 & 6, twice with ground floors. The boat stops before stops before midnight and doesn't start before 10am. We never found it an issue.

This summer we are staying at CSR but I am curious about POFQ and I want to try the beignets. Usually I would simply drive to DTD and take the boat to POFQ but with the traffic nightmare at DTD, we're not planning going to DTD this year. Can we drive and park directly at POFQ or POR if we're not staying there? We just want to walk around the resort(s) and buy some beignets? Will there be a time restriction on how long we can park at the resort?

Since you are staying at a WDW resort there shouldn't be a problem. On all our trips there seems to be a lot of parking available.

There will be no issue with parking, just show some ID at the gate and tell them you're there to sample the beignets! They might tell you three hours max, but I honestly doubt it (you get that more with the Magic Kingdom resorts).

Andre

Thank you for your replies! I'm looking forward to explore the resort on our 'day off' from the parks.

Yep, that is what it was, until this trip. I went back to get a reason and this is my conversation with them. I asked why there was a $500 charge to my CC because I thought we have up to $1000 before any action is taken. Well, the CM told me that they started doing a charge to CC at the half way point($500). I asked why and this is exactly what I was told(it did not make sense to me). "They do this so that we would not hit our $1000 limit and have our MB frozen from doing any charges to the room", "Because it's not hard to total $500 in charges in 1 day and they did not want to inconvenience the guest". I asked if this was new and she said fairly new but did not know when it started. I then told them that they need to let people know this at check-in or the day they are planning to do it, because families like me like to pay with a reward card or GCs. I also told them that I normally come down the day before we leave to pay and that I would have been upset to find out my CC had been charged days earlier and not notified about it. If I have time I will try and speak with a manager before we leave to verify all this.
We were at POFQ Feb 28-March 6 and my DD's CC was charged the night before we checked out, I'm not sure she was at her limit, but the CM said they charge the CC on file before check out, so that evening we went down and had them reverse the CC and use her rewards card for her balance. I'd advise anyone to go pay any charges to the room a couple of days before check out and then the evening before.

Yep, that is what it was, until this trip. I went back to get a reason and this is my conversation with them. I asked why there was a $500 charge to my CC because I thought we have up to $1000 before any action is taken. Well, the CM told me that they started doing a charge to CC at the half way point($500). I asked why and this is exactly what I was told(it did not make sense to me). "They do this so that we would not hit our $1000 limit and have our MB frozen from doing any charges to the room", "Because it's not hard to total $500 in charges in 1 day and they did not want to inconvenience the guest". I asked if this was new and she said fairly new but did not know when it started. I then told them that they need to let people know this at check-in or the day they are planning to do it, because families like me like to pay with a reward card or GCs. I also told them that I normally come down the day before we leave to pay and that I would have been upset to find out my CC had been charged days earlier and not notified about it. If I have time I will try and speak with a manager before we leave to verify all this.

Got the same thing at Coronado Springs last september, was charged to my credt card at 500$ When I asked about it being at 500$ instead of the usual 1000$, the CM told me they lowered it because of more people not having the 1000$ available on the card (And then they had to try and get the person to pay up...)

So with streamlined check in do we just get off of the Magical Express Bus and walk straight to our room? How do we know what our room number is? Will the documents etc...they usually give us at the front desk be waiting for us in our rooms?

So with streamlined check in do we just get off of the Magical Express Bus and walk straight to our room? How do we know what our room number is? Will the documents etc...they usually give us at the front desk be waiting for us in our rooms?
I believe you either get an email or text with your room#. I'm checking in on Memorial Day weekend and I'm excited to try it. During online check-in I checked off the option to get information when my room was ready. They already had my email from MDE and it asked for my cell#. When are you going? If before me, please post your experience.

I believe you either get an email or text with your room#. I'm checking in on Memorial Day weekend and I'm excited to try it. During online check-in I checked off the option to get information when my room was ready. They already had my email from MDE and it asked for my cell#. When are you going? If before me, please post your experience.
We are going to arrive on Sept 30th.

Sorry to see Tom Casey go. I like Bob Jackson too, but sometimes we like having a more low-key experience and Tom perfectly fit the bill. I wonder who the future replacement will be?
The last night we were there (3/28/15) there was a man and women doing a show, he played the keyboard and she sang. I did not see any information about them though, I had both DDs with me, so did not have time to really check it out:laughing:

Reactions: CJK
Only about 20 minutes. It's actually just under a mile from the southern end of the POFQ parking lot over to the DTD parking lot area to the north of Cirque du Soleil, following the existing paved pathways and footbridges adjacent to the golf course (except for that missing 130 yard section). It surprised me too!

View attachment 81219

Andre
Andre,
Is the area lit? I can't remember, other than thinking it looks very isolated from the boat on the way to DTD.

And, DD21 has been talking about the idea of "Tiana's Place" and meet & greet meals in POFQ forever! Lol. She will be starting her internship this August, so maybe she can suggest it. ;-)

Orlando Park News is reporting that the bus station at POFQ is closing starting 4/13 for a rehab:

"Guests staying at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter should note that the hotel's bus stop will be undergoing a refurbishment starting April 13.

During this refurbishment, the bus stop (which serves the entire resort) will be temporarily relocated near Building 3. As of now, the reopening date of the main bus stop has not yet been shared by the Walt Disney World Resort. Stay tuned here on Orlando Theme Park News for future updates and advisories."

Just had a change of plans, and it turns out that I will be staying at POFQ for my quick little weekend trip towards the end of this month. I'm so excited! POFQ was the first moderate I really fell in love with the theming of, and I've been to the resort to visit and have lunch, but this will be my first time as a guest.

I have a Garden View room, and during my online check-in I've requested Ground Floor (I use an ECV while at WDW and it's just easier to avoid elevators where possible) and Corner Room (because I love those double windows). I'm so excited, I could burst! :cutie:

I read on the Budget Board that resort gift shops are starting to carry cases of bottled water. Can anyone who has been recently or is going soon check to see if French Quarter is doing this?

I'm guessing temp bus stops will not be covered which is a perk of paying moderate prices. This affects our trip:(

I read on the Budget Board that resort gift shops are starting to carry cases of bottled water. Can anyone who has been recently or is going soon check to see if French Quarter is doing this?

Well they certainly have in the past, this photo was from 2011:

upload_2015-4-5_12-35-47.png

I'm guessing temp bus stops will not be covered which is a perk of paying moderate prices. This affects our trip:(

I don't recall Disney ever advertising a covered bus-stop being a perk of staying at a Moderate resort? I guess everything affects someone's trip in some small way, but I don't think this temporary move would have me running to my travel agent to rebook...

Andre

Oh we won't rebook! The bus stop will likely be fine. Could be worse and we understand Disney had to do upgrades! I don't think Disney advertises the covered stops but I've seen it a lot on here. Better not rain!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter