Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

Considering Disney initially said the Boardwalk was getting a "new lobby design" and then in reality it was more of a soft goods update/light refresh by the time it occurred, I'm hopeful now that this won't be as bad as some of us initially feared (and by that, I mean nothing drastic that takes away the charm of the lobby that many of us love.) I do wonder if plans were scaled back/changed due to online backlash? Still crossing my fingers something (anything?!) happens with 1900 Park Fare and the tea room though!

Also I think I posted this elsewhere, but I'm thinking the bigger impact for my trip later in the year may be scaffolding up outside the main building. Not sure how long that will take, but I'm assuming the roof and exterior of the main building will get refreshed like all the outer buildings did...and considering it's larger I'm guessing more than 3 months for that part. Unless they assign a larger crew and get the work done faster. I REALLY wish they'd bring back the popcorn lights that used to outline the entire building...I know that's a pipe dream, but how amazing would that be? It was so beautiful all lit up at night!

We have a Citricos dinner and a Grand Floridian Cafe brunch booked this weekend. I'm hoping we would have been notified by now if the restaurants were impacted by the lobby renovations. I'm hoping we aren't disappointed. It's our first trip back since February 2020.

Starting to think I’m the only person on the planet that thinks that lobby looks dated as all get out and needs to be basically gutted and redone 😆 Literally the only thing I’d keep is the glass elevator & even that I’d look to completely replace with an updated one.
The lobby is in desperate need of a refresh. The awful chandeliers needs replacing, the stained glass in the ceiling is in dire shape, and quite frankly the carpet is the colour of poo.

What needs to be done is rather minor because the bare bones hold up. Couple of crystal chandeliers, replacement colour scheme (or just marble it but they won't spend that money). The Grand Floridian SHOULD look as impressive as its newer Victorian counterparts at Tokyo Disneyland Hotel and Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel. I am hopeful that imagineering lean in to the Victoriana but with an emphasis on true elegance.

View attachment 766102
View for 10 days😍. I’m currently on day 3 and today I found out they will start work in the lobby. All they would tell me was that portions of the lobby would still be accessible, such as shops, restaurants and 🚝.
Thank you so much for the report! Did they also tell you the work would begin this weekend? Please keep us posted with pictures if you can!

What a great view! Please keep the pics coming! 😍 Hope you have a wonderful stay!

Thank you so much for the report! Did they also tell you the work would begin this weekend? Please keep us posted with pictures if you can!

What a great view! Please keep the pics coming! 😍 Hope you have a wonderful stay!
The cast member at the front desk told me they will start tomorrow. Sorry, I just realized I left that part out in previous message. I will definitely post more pics and keep you all posted

I find it interesting there is not any indication about refurb on the WDW site. We have a reservation booked at GF for July 22-27 and when we booked there was not that red message on the page stating there would be construction/refurb during our trip nor have we received an email. We are booked in an outer building - I don't think you can book main building this summer. As long as the monorail station is open and all our dining reservations are good, I don't think I will mind if there is some work going on. If it weren't for the Disboards, I wouldn't even know.

See that makes sense. Birdcage with birds…..

Thx for posting I don’t think I ever took a picture of it.
You're Welcome
That pic was from August 1988 and I don't remember if they were there the next time I visited 4 years later.
I'm guessing they were moved to AK when that opened along with the parrots at the Poly

Just came across this gem on YouTube (the vintage bird cage picture inspired me to look and see what I could find). The Grand Floridian lobby in December, 1988...

Ooo thanks for the video

That was from the GF's first Christmas according to the time/date stamp

I find it interesting there is not any indication about refurb on the WDW site. We have a reservation booked at GF for July 22-27 and when we booked there was not that red message on the page stating there would be construction/refurb during our trip nor have we received an email. We are booked in an outer building - I don't think you can book main building this summer. As long as the monorail station is open and all our dining reservations are good, I don't think I will mind if there is some work going on. If it weren't for the Disboards, I wouldn't even know.
The notice has been on the website for months.

Attachments

• 29A636D2-4089-472C-8DAE-3A38EC21A436.jpeg
    29A636D2-4089-472C-8DAE-3A38EC21A436.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 29
We are staying at the Grand for 6 days mid-August, we have water view reserved. Does anyone know where our room might be? We are a family of 5. Also, do we need to bring our own coffee to have coffee in the room in the morning? We use milk/cream for our coffee, so wondering if they give the little creamers if they do supply coffee? Does anyone know if they still sell half gallons of milk like they used to? We haven't been to the GF since 2018. Hopefully too much has not changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter