Disney's Genie Plus is great value!

Matrixleos

DIS Veteran
I've seen several posts at both the DLR and WDW forums complaining about the added cost of Genie+. Maybe it's just me but I think it's still great value, especially when you compare similar "Fast Pass" costs of other Theme Parks. Quick google search showed Universal Studio's express pass is $110 per day. HersheyPark's Fast Pass is $130+ per day (summer months). Busch Garden's Quick Queue is $100-150 per day (summer months)

Give me Disney's Genie+ for $20 per day and even add in a few I-LL rides for $15 per ride added in. That's still cheaper per day than several other theme parks.

Well, fastpass used to be free and Maxpass was a far better value. Even at the same price, the restrictions were far less on Maxpass.

A large number of people on the forums go to the parks enough that we know how to avoid waits and don't have to do everything on the Genie+ list each day. For my upcoming trip, the only rides on the Genie+ list I'd really care about are Midway Mania and Hyperspace Mountain. I'm not paying $20 to skip two lines for rides I've already been on many times before.

You're also not making a completely apples to apples comparison. For most places, express access means access to every single ride an unlimited number of times all day at any time of the day. Even if it only included once on each ride, you don't have to worry about booking specific times and all the other restrictions that Genie+ has.

If I wanted Universal Express Pass, I would be buying their most expensive annual pass, not a one day Express Pass. Having no option to get Genie+ other than $20 per day means that most frequent park visitors are never going to see it as a good deal.

It all depends on how you use it and how you don't. Universal Express Pass is nice (when the parks are busy) and especially for HHN, because you literally walk right on and you don't have to schedule ride times like you do with Genie+. So I like it for that reason.

That said... I also enjoyed Genie+ on my last visit. It was absolutely worth the price to not have to stand in long lines. I go to the parks 2-3 times a year, and it was worth it to me because I got to do everything I wanted and still have plenty of time to eat/shop/relax in between. (And I say this as someone who is one of the outliers who never liked FastPass, because the thought of running all over the park to grab them sounded more exhausting than actually just waiting in line. But now I'm a little older and both the running AND the waiting part sound exhausting, so LLs for me all the way.)

But, yeah, it isn't really designed for MK Holders/locals, and more for infrequent park goers.

That said, there is literally no system like this that is perfect and will please 100% of the people. You just have to find the way that works best for you to do the parks.

I've seen several posts at both the DLR and WDW forums complaining about the added cost of Genie+. Maybe it's just me but I think it's still great value, especially when you compare similar "Fast Pass" costs of other Theme Parks. Quick google search showed Universal Studio's express pass is $110 per day. HersheyPark's Fast Pass is $130+ per day (summer months). Busch Garden's Quick Queue is $100-150 per day (summer months)

Give me Disney's Genie+ for $20 per day and even add in a few I-LL rides for $15 per ride added in. That's still cheaper per day than several other theme parks.
I agree with your post, the $20/day is pretty small if you know what you're doing and especially if you have a park hopper. I just got back from my trip and only did Genie+ on one of the days and after doing some rides quickly in the morning after rope drop, I booked some LL and was able to get on rides within 10 minutes of walking on, including Hyperspace Mountain, for the rest of the day. For my other park days, I just did rides in the morning at rope drop, then did single rider lines or came back to the park in the evening for the shows and then waited in the shorter lines after 10pm. I don't know how people who aren't savvy about theme parks is able to do this though.

The thing with Universal Studios Hollywood is, they just don't have that many rides right now, so you're paying $10/ride to skip the line, even if you do get to ride it multiple times and just walk up without worrying about reservations. This system is probably easier for a beginner park goer though.

Nice try, Bob.

So many bitter comments on a post of someone expressing their opinion. @ Matrixleos, I've never thought about the price comparison like you did and you're right, it's so much cheaper even with it's limitations, which makes sense.

I actually agree. I've used it on 4 trips with groups from 2 to 6 and have saved hours in line each day. I will say it must be a nightmare for those who are not tech savvy. Honestly, I find myself using my phone less than I did with Fastpass when I was also constantly refreshing. With G+, I'm usually just looking every two hours.

I'm excited to try it for our first trip to Disneyland in July. I'm excited that it also includes photos!

I understand that this was a free option at some point. I still remember my wife and I first learned about what Fast Pass was during our 2001 WDW vacation. Almost every guest just walked past or was rude to the Cast Member who was trying to explain this "new" system. We felt bad for her and spent some time talking to her to cheer her up. She was so appreciative, that she even showed us the "secret" hack to the Fast Pass machines. Basically a push button in the back corner of the machine, that when pushed, would dispense as many Fast Passes for that attraction someone would want without scanning your park ticket. Can't tell you how many times we used that free fast pass hack to get unlimited rides for several years those machines were still in service.

Would I still wish those original Fast Pass machines that were running Windows 98 operating systems were still around, of course! I'm sure there was similar type feelings and complaints back in June 1981 when Disneyland gave guests the options for a ticket book or an all inclusive Passport to all the attractions. Then a year later, discontinued the ticket book system and I'm sure there were people back then that were disappointed the ticket books were removed. Although things change and we have to adapt with those changes.

If anyone is interested in Disney history, below is a fascinating video on the history of Disney's Fast Pass. That is if you have almost two hours free to watch it. LOL

That said, there is literally no system like this that is perfect and will please 100% of the people.
The old system was perfect in my opinion! Free fast pass via the kiosks plus the paid MaxPass option so you could get them on your phone. Unlimited rides/re-rides. Only 90-minute wait to book next fastpass and you could book your next one as soon as you next ride window opened (did not have to scan in). Also no “up charge” rides like now. Sigh. I really mourn the loss of the old system.

I'll agree that compared to other parks, the G+ has some value. Not a lot, but some. That said, when the price is a high as it is at Universal and SixFlags and such, it keeps people from getting it and keeps the lines from bogging down. Disney has it cheap enough to where it actually does slow down standby lines significantly.

Here's where I disagree, though. When something used to be free, it's impossible for me to callout a value when I have to pay $20/day. Granted MaxPass was $15/day. But MaxPass would literally load you up with lots of FastPasses all day. Plus if you didn't want to pay, you could still get FastPass. You just had to walk around and hit the machines. I really liked that scenario. I don't like that I either sit in long lines, or I fork over $500 for a 5 day trip for my family. Youch!!!

I don't like that I either sit in long lines, or I fork over $500 for a 5 day trip for my family. Youch!!!

Fair enough! I'm definitely looking at it from the perspective of a person who only has to pay for herself, because I'm either going solo or going with family/friends who are paying for their own tickets and add-ons themselves. But, yeah, for larger families, even the little things add up.

(That said, almost nothing at Disney is a value anymore! It's all about deciding what is or isn't worth it to you individually or as a family.)

I'll agree that compared to other parks, the G+ has some value. Not a lot, but some. That said, when the price is a high as it is at Universal and SixFlags and such, it keeps people from getting it and keeps the lines from bogging down. Disney has it cheap enough to where it actually does slow down standby lines significantly.

Here's where I disagree, though. When something used to be free, it's impossible for me to callout a value when I have to pay $20/day. Granted MaxPass was $15/day. But MaxPass would literally load you up with lots of FastPasses all day. Plus if you didn't want to pay, you could still get FastPass. You just had to walk around and hit the machines. I really liked that scenario. I don't like that I either sit in long lines, or I fork over $500 for a 5 day trip for my family. Youch!!!
The other consequence of Genie+ that I just can’t wrap my head around is the fact that the standby lines are now outrageously long compared to before. When the FastPass/MaxPass system was in place yes, standby lines were longer than say, last summer when there was NO fastpass-type system in place (I really miss this!) but in the old days you could still wait standby and it was a reasonable wait. I don’t understand what they are doing with Genie+ that makes the standby lines so insanely long.

What also happens with Genie+ is the standby wait times are totally unreliable now. You get in line with a wait time of 30 minutes, your moving along, then suddenly a bunch of Genie+ people show up and the standby line literally stops. I once waited in the toy story line in this scenario and we didn’t move for 10 minutes. Finally they made an announcement that the wait would be longer than previously stayed. Shortly after the wait time in the app jumped to 75 minutes. After already waiting 30 minutes in line we left, much to the disappointment of my child. I really don’t see why this happens now but it didn’t happen very often before, even when every person in the park was able to get as many fast passes as they wanted. 🤷‍♀️

I believe they are referring to Bob Chapek, CEO of Disney and the only person who could possibly actually like Genie+.

That last bit's a joke.
Genie + has the same problem our express toll lanes have in the Puget Sound. The price is too low to provide a big time savings. When they artificially cap the tolls at $20 per day everyone floods in there and they become just as congested as the regular lanes. People get upset they are paying $20 a day for only 5 minutes of savings. Exact same thing is happening at Disneyworld. They need to use variable pricing on Genie+ and Lightening Lane so supply and demand are in balance. Some days Genie + should be available for 50 cents. Other days it should be 100 dollars.

The other consequence of Genie+ that I just can’t wrap my head around is the fact that the standby lines are now outrageously long compared to before. When the FastPass/MaxPass system was in place yes, standby lines were longer than say, last summer when there was NO fastpass-type system in place (I really miss this!) but in the old days you could still wait standby and it was a reasonable wait. I don’t understand what they are doing with Genie+ that makes the standby lines so insanely long.

What also happens with Genie+ is the standby wait times are totally unreliable now. You get in line with a wait time of 30 minutes, your moving along, then suddenly a bunch of Genie+ people show up and the standby line literally stops. I once waited in the toy story line in this scenario and we didn’t move for 10 minutes. Finally they made an announcement that the wait would be longer than previously stayed. Shortly after the wait time in the app jumped to 75 minutes. After already waiting 30 minutes in line we left, much to the disappointment of my child. I really don’t see why this happens now but it didn’t happen very often before, even when every person in the park was able to get as many fast passes as they wanted. 🤷‍♀️
This seems more like a logistics planning problem on Disney's part than a specifically Genie+ problem. I wonder if their stock of LLs is higher than their stock of Fastpasses. Because standby used to stop as well for fastpass lane in the before times too so that's not a particularly new thing.

Not to quibble too much but the Universal Express pass is unlimited for $110. Not that I'd pay that either.
I think a lot of the complaints stem from there being a perfectly good free option which was removed in favour of the new Genie Plus and that the old Max Pass in DL offered unlimited rides where as now it's more expensive and you can only ride once. It's paying more, but getting less.

This seems more like a logistics planning problem on Disney's part than a specifically Genie+ problem. I wonder if their stock of LLs is higher than their stock of Fastpasses. Because standby used to stop as well for fastpass lane in the before times too so that's not a particularly new thing.
It did stop for FastPass but briefly. Like they would let in 5-10 from the FastPass line the let some standby through, then back to FastPass, etc. You were paused for maybe 30-60 seconds then you were moving again. Now, they literally will let in 50 or more Genie+. Like I said, I once stood still for 10 solid minutes while they only let Genie+ through. It was excruciating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!