Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

What's with the Grumpy hubbys :confused3 I happen to own one...you would think he would've come around after 20+ years

THAT cracks me up :lmao:

Pas, you are turning 40 TOO this year? Oh man, I don't think I'm ready!

Yep the big 4-0 :hug: August 19th :goodvibes I think 25 was harder...I still feel 25 on the inside at least :lmao:

:faint: :scared1: I'm so kidding....I'll be 42 in another month or so. Age is just another number in my book :teeth:

:cheer2: for booked trips!!! And it should be a great time to go....not so hot. 20 years, huh?! I'll be anxious to see what you think. I'm guessing your girls will love it...such a great place for families to relax and have fun. Are you going to do the HDDR? We just did it this past December, but I'm secretly wanting to go again. Not sure DH will go for that :upsidedow Are y'all doing all the parks, hanging out at the Fort?? I'm full of questions, aren't I? :teeth: Happy Planning! :)

We went in March a few years ago and loved it - and we get there the first day of the flower and garden festival so it should be a nice burst of spring for this northerner! :)

I think it's been 20 years - we used to stay there all the time as a kid - I'm going to have to dig thru old photos to check!

We did HDDR in October - the girls both loved it! Not sure if we are doing it again (my wicked step mother is coming and she wasn't a huge fan of the food options)

And we will definitely be doing the parks - we have AP so I feel like they should be put to good use. My father has the weekday pass though so we are going to use the weekend to discover the fort and relax! :)

We went in March a few years ago and loved it - and we get there the first day of the flower and garden festival so it should be a nice burst of spring for this northerner! :)

Y'alls winter has been harsh, huh?! My sister lives in CT, so I get to hear all about it. Of course she said they've had much worse, but cold is cold...no fun. March will be perfect for you:thumbsup2

I think it's been 20 years - we used to stay there all the time as a kid - I'm going to have to dig thru old photos to check!

Ooooohhhh....dig, dig, dig!! And post, post, post some of those Blast from the Past pics! :hyper: In one of my TRs, I posted some old pics my dad found of us from River Country. They were quite lovely :laughing:

We did HDDR in October - the girls both loved it! Not sure if we are doing it again (my wicked step mother is coming and she wasn't a huge fan of the food options)

:rotfl: one of those, huh???

And we will definitely be doing the parks - we have AP so I feel like they should be put to good use. My father has the weekday pass though so we are going to use the weekend to discover the fort and relax! :)

Sounds like a great plan:thumbsup2 I've been debating on APs ...just not sure yet. Did y'all use an AP discount for the cabins? Or do you use the Tables in Wonderland? I've always been curious if the TIW is worth it.

You might be surprised at how fast 1 1/2 years will fly by! And the kids are always a great way to get those Disney resistant husbands to cave :laughing: Let em' keep asking....he will eventually give in:thumbsup2 And if you can wait until June ;), I'll have hundreds of new pics of the Fort...every inch of the place :teeth:

Have you been over on the disABILITIES threads? They have some really great threads....anything from the very minor or temporary disabilities to the severe.
As far as the pools go, both have slides. The Fort has a great kids play area with a small slide that our kids loved. Others might have more to add. That wasn't very much info was it?? :laughing:
Oh, totally AM encouraging the kids! My DS6 just said today that if daddy doesn't want to go maybe I could just take each of the 3 of them individually. As in on 3 different Disney vacations. Um, yup. I'm in on that plan! That's my boy. :lovestruc I think I'd be o.k. leaving Grumpy at home. :laughing:

And yes please! I will happily wait until June to see pictures. Share as many as many as you'd like!

Nah, that's fine on the pool info. I'm sure you will get pictures when you go anyway. (hint, hint) LOL

I try to work in one resort day, would any of you experts recommend more for staying at the Cabins, or should I stick with the usual plan? It seems like there is just a little more to do there than most resorts.

Yes, I have checked the disABILITIES threads out. Thanks. It gets a little judgemental there in my experience though. As a result, I don't post much there, but I do read along.

By the way, I have you both beat, I'll be 43 this year...:rolleyes2

One last question. What is everyone's favorite time of year to visit FW?

THAT cracks me up :lmao:

:faint: :scared1: I'm so kidding....I'll be 42 in another month or so. Age is just another number in my book :teeth:
:hug:You look MARVELOUS for a woman in her twenties...let alone being a whopping 2 years older than me :lmao: Age is totally a number

Oh, totally AM encouraging the kids! My DS6 just said today that if daddy doesn't want to go maybe I could just take each of the 3 of them individually. As in on 3 different Disney vacations. Um, yup. I'm in on that plan! That's my boy. :lovestruc I think I'd be o.k. leaving Grumpy at home. :laughing:

And yes please! I will happily wait until June to see pictures. Share as many as many as you'd like!

Nah, that's fine on the pool info. I'm sure you will get pictures when you go anyway. (hint, hint) LOL

I try to work in one resort day, would any of you experts recommend more for staying at the Cabins, or should I stick with the usual plan? It seems like there is just a little more to do there than most resorts.

Yes, I have checked the disABILITIES threads out. Thanks. It gets a little judgemental there in my experience though. As a result, I don't post much there, but I do read along.

I tend to agree with some of the disabilities threads posters..I like friendly places (like here) I have two kiddos on the spectrum, one with Anxiety and both with OCD tendencies. The one thing I can mention about the cabins is peace and quiet...and if a meltdown is afoot, quiet for your neighbors. My son was a baby when we went so I can't judge by him. But he does well at any pool. We only did the theme pool once, and spent most of the time at the quiet pool (it was footsteps away and empty most of the time). FW has so much to do, just strolling around would be fun, my kids would honestly be fine riding the boat all day:goodvibes

Sounds like a plan to me! :laughing: My friend DisneyDoc5 does that....when her kids reach a certain age, they each get a Disney trip alone.

I've never been over there. What a shame that it gets so judgmental.

:thumbsup2

Anytime of year :laughing October and December have the BEST decorations ever....seriously! Our kids just love walking around and looking at all the RV and camper decorations.

:hug:You look MARVELOUS for a woman in her twenties...let alone being a whopping 2 years older than me :lmao: Age is totally a number

:goodvibes Life only gets better with age:thumbsup2

FW has so much to do, just strolling around would be fun, my kids would honestly be fine riding the boat all day:goodvibes

So true!!! My DH, too, for that fact :laughing: By the way Pas, love the photo in your signature!!!! So sweet!!:goodvibes

So I was trying to decide how to add a couple of days to our trip :rolleyes1 We started off planning this trip with only one resort....then added FW. Now I think it would be beneficial to add another day here or there. Not sure what DH will say, though. He doesn't get overly excited when I upgrade, add on days, add restaurants, etc. :laughing: And I've already already promised I wouldn't "upgrade" anything. :scratchin

Hello my new "wild" (as in ahem ahem... Fort WILDerness) friends! Ok, that sounds kind of strange, but when your DH is humoring you just to go, well, I can't exactly talk his ear off about how excited I am, so that leaves YOU! lol And on that note, the previously grumpy DH has been upgraded to Content To Go Along status. His bosses gave a reluctant thumbs up (I'll take it!) and I am making packing lists! SO. I ran across a packing thread and you see the same 20 or so things, but I am wondering what you FW cabin pros pack that is unique to spending a week in a cabin at FW. And for that matter, since we are flying, I was going to do a Garden Grocer order. Trying to figure out what grocery items I should smuggle in my suitcase and what would I have to order. (Don't laugh/judge) The other night, at a basketball game, I discreetly tucked about a dozen ketchup and mustard packets into my coat pocket. I am without hope. Disney trip on the brain 24/7. Anyway, any tips on groceries etc, and what to pack that is specific to having a great time at the Fort would be great! DD10, DH, and I will arrive April 24th and stay for 7 nights!

So true!!! My DH, too, for that fact :laughing: By the way Pas, love the photo in your signature!!!! So sweet!!:goodvibes Thank you :hug: it's rare to get them all in a pic:rotfl2:

So I was trying to decide how to add a couple of days to our trip :rolleyes1 We started off planning this trip with only one resort....then added FW. Now I think it would be beneficial to add another day here or there. Not sure what DH will say, though. He doesn't get overly excited when I upgrade, add on days, add restaurants, etc. :laughing: And I've already already promised I wouldn't "upgrade" anything. :scratchin
So which is the more economical to add..another FWC day, right??::yes::

Hello my new "wild" (as in ahem ahem... Fort WILDerness) friends! Ok, that sounds kind of strange, but when your DH is humoring you just to go, well, I can't exactly talk his ear off about how excited I am, so that leaves YOU! lol And on that note, the previously grumpy DH has been upgraded to Content To Go Along status. His bosses gave a reluctant thumbs up (I'll take it!) and I am making packing lists! SO. I ran across a packing thread and you see the same 20 or so things, but I am wondering what you FW cabin pros pack that is unique to spending a week in a cabin at FW. And for that matter, since we are flying, I was going to do a Garden Grocer order. Trying to figure out what grocery items I should smuggle in my suitcase and what would I have to order. (Don't laugh/judge) The other night, at a basketball game, I discreetly tucked about a dozen ketchup and mustard packets into my coat pocket. I am without hope. Disney trip on the brain 24/7. Anyway, any tips on groceries etc, and what to pack that is specific to having a great time at the Fort would be great! DD10, DH, and I will arrive April 24th and stay for 7 nights!

My trip is almost 7 months away and I am constantly thinking about it...as for packing...I will pack the day of, Heather will tell ya I am horrible about packing :faint:

:woohoo: for Grumpy!!! He's slowly but surely coming around!!!

And don't worry about your obsession. Disney Trip on the Brain Syndrome is very common for those of us immersed in the World of Disney.::yes::

What to take???:scratchin Don't forget bug spray! We always like to have snacks in the cabin to munch on at night. The prices of food items at Disney are super pricey, as you know, so bring them or get from the Garden Grocer. I'm probably not going to be of much help since we drive. And not sure what the prices of Garden Grocer would be. That might be something I need to investigate and add to the thread, huh? Make sure you take detailed notes on how all this works and what you buy versus what you pack ;) then you can let us know when you return from your trip :teeth:

If it makes you feel any better, I've already started a "what to bring" list and saved it on the computer :laughing: When I think of something, I'll type it in....random thoughts are always popping up!

And don't ask Pas about packing :rotfl: She's dead serious about packing the day of the trip....or maybe the night before if the family is lucky:p

So which is the more economical to add..another FWC day, right??::yes::

You're absolutely right!!! Adding a CL day is really too much....DH would NOT go for that. We return on a Saturday. The hubby likes to have a day to recoup before he has to return to work.

29 days til we arrive at the FORT!!!!

Don't ya just love those double digits!!??!

:dancer: :banana:

For single digits you'll get 3 dancers..... :teeth:

Very much enjoying this thread. We will be arriving at the Cabins in a little less than 2 weeks.

We originally booked for AKL back in October for a splurge, then family members asked to join so we switched to ASMu then they had to drop out. We decided to stick to ASMu and then I got a PIN codethe other day. So yesterday we switched our trip to a cabin. Very much looking forward to it. We've stayed at All Star Several times CBR once, POP once and off site once.

We always ask Disney questions at the dinner table and the answer to "If you could stay at any resort what would it be?" is "the cabins" from my daughter.

I haven't read through everything yet but feel the need to get up to speed quickly.

So thank you to all of you that have posted so much great information.

Howdy!! :wave: Glad you found us!

Very much enjoying this thread. We will be arriving at the Cabins in a little less than 2 weeks.

:cool1: :hyper::banana:

We originally booked for AKL back in October for a splurge, then family members asked to join so we switched to ASMu then they had to drop out. We decided to stick to ASMu and then I got a PIN codethe other day. So yesterday we switched our trip to a cabin. Very much looking forward to it. We've stayed at All Star Several times CBR once, POP once and off site once.

We always ask Disney questions at the dinner table and the answer to "If you could stay at any resort what would it be?" is "the cabins" from my daughter.

Pin codes are the BEST, aren't they??!!! And sounds like you have a very bright daughter:thumbsup2 The cabins are awesome!! Really, they are. My kids absolutely love them!!

I haven't read through everything yet but feel the need to get up to speed quickly.

So thank you to all of you that have posted so much great information.

Hope you find some info that will help make your trip fabulous! Are your daughters still into the characters? If so, the Chip and Dale campfire is great! :thumbsup2 There's so much to do there. The Fort won't disappoint.

Soooo.... two things-
BUG SPRAY???! lol It's DISNEY - I just figured bugs weren't allowed? (Seriously, how bad are they? I am a mosquito magnet!)

And...
Pin code, eh? So, is it possible to get one even if one already has a trip booked? And, in our case, we got the spring sale, so... what would a pin code offer that might beat that? Is there one where Donald comes and does your dishes in the cabin every morning? Yeah... probably not I'm guessing..

I have a few questions about Fort Wilderness that I hope can be answered here!

First off - where can I go for a QUICK SERVICE breakfast or lunch? I am confused about the status of Trail's End. It seems to be a table service location. But where can I go for a quick service breakfast buffet (like what I had at Riverside Mill at POR)?

Also, if we decide to go to the Roaring Fork (which I believe is QS for breakfast and lunch? Please someone confirm!?), can we drive over and park at Wilderness Lodge, and then leave our car there while we go to MK?

Any help would be appreciated!!:thumbsup2

Howdy!! :wave: Glad you found us!

:cool1: :hyper::banana:

Pin codes are the BEST, aren't they??!!! And sounds like you have a very bright daughter:thumbsup2 The cabins are awesome!! Really, they are. My kids absolutely love them!!

Thank you so much. We are looking forward to it. My daughter is almost 14 but yeah she's a geek like us so she loves the characters as does my 10 yo son. We know the All Stars like the back of our hands but know nothing about FW so we're excited.

PS My daughter doesn't know she still thinks we're staying at ASMu and my son thinks we're going in May.

As for the PIN code. We had originally booked under stay play and dine. The PIN code gave us free dining. The upgrade to the Cabins was only a little bit more than we were already paying and we figure we get twice the space and a new experience.

We are staying at VWL in June and would like to visit FW for the campfire sing-a-long with Chip and Dale. Where exactly at FW does this take place and about how long does it last? I read that it starts at 7:00, is that still the case? Thanks!

Soooo.... two things-
BUG SPRAY???! lol It's DISNEY - I just figured bugs weren't allowed? (Seriously, how bad are they? I am a mosquito magnet!)

In all honesty, I've never known the mosquitoes to be too bad. I'm sure Disney uses Mosquito Control. However, that being said...my youngest son is a bug magnet (like you :)), so we like to keep him covered with spray at night while at the Fort.

And...
Pin code, eh? So, is it possible to get one even if one already has a trip booked? And, in our case, we got the spring sale, so... what would a pin code offer that might beat that? Is there one where Donald comes and does your dishes in the cabin every morning? Yeah... probably not I'm guessing..

Well, sorry to say that Donald won't be doing the dishes everyday :laughing: And unfortunately there isn't a soul that really knows how these crazy pin codes are distributed. Wish I did know! In fact, I've never received any really good ones, but my DH gets them quite frequently! :confused3 Go figure! Sometimes they will offer discounts to Disney Visa cardholders first, then release them to the general public. We always go into our Disney account and save a couple of trips. And usually (someone correct me if I'm wrong) pin codes will be sent by Disney Destinations. Right now we're using the room discount for FW and WL. I'm hoping for Free Dining because that would actually save me a bit more money. Here's a little pixiedust: for that magic code to come your way!!

I have a few questions about Fort Wilderness that I hope can be answered here!

First off - where can I go for a QUICK SERVICE breakfast or lunch? I am confused about the status of Trail's End. It seems to be a table service location. But where can I go for a quick service breakfast buffet (like what I had at Riverside Mill at POR)?

Here's a link that will explain Trail's End and gives you the menu, too. They do offer a breakfast buffet from 7:30-11:00ish or you can get To-Go items from there. I'll have to find out about actually having to make a ressie for breakfast. We've never done breakfast there because we usually eat in the cabin. We've done dinner at Trail's End and did make reservations, but probably didn't need them.

Trail's End Breakfast

Also, if we decide to go to the Roaring Fork (which I believe is QS for breakfast and lunch? Please someone confirm!?), can we drive over and park at Wilderness Lodge, and then leave our car there while we go to MK?

Any help would be appreciated!!:thumbsup2

The Roaring Fork at the WL is QS, breakfast, lunch and dinner:thumbsup2 You can drive over, but it might be just as easy to take the boat to the Lodge. It's a nice, peaceful ride over. Quite honestly I'm not sure about the parking. Several years ago we ate at AKL - Boma for breakfast and drove over. We did leave the car there and ride the bus over to AK. However, a CM did tell us that there was a 3 hour limit on parking :confused3 And like I said, that was several years ago....things might have changed.

Thank you so much. We are looking forward to it. My daughter is almost 14 but yeah she's a geek like us so she loves the characters as does my 10 yo son. We know the All Stars like the back of our hands but know nothing about FW so we're excited.

:thumbsup2 I totally get the "geek" part. I still love them, too. Just told DS12 last night that I couldn't wait until the Campfire Sing-a-long. He just laughed :upsidedow

PS My daughter doesn't know she still thinks we're staying at ASMu and my son thinks we're going in May.

As for the PIN code. We had originally booked under stay play and dine. The PIN code gave us free dining. The upgrade to the Cabins was only a little bit more than we were already paying and we figure we get twice the space and a new experience.

:yay: for surprises!!! Those are the best!!! And the extra space is a HUGE bonus at FW. It's so nice for the kids to be able to go into the bedroom to watch TV while you relax on the sofa in the den area...no fighting over the shows ;) And when I get up bright and early to make coffee, I don't wake them :teeth:

We are staying at VWL in June and would like to visit FW for the campfire sing-a-long with Chip and Dale. Where exactly at FW does this take place and about how long does it last? I read that it starts at 7:00, is that still the case? Thanks!

We're going to be at the WL in June, too :goodvibes The campfire sing-a-long is a GREAT family activity...you'll really enjoy it. Get there a bit early and you might get some extra time with Chip and Dale:thumbsup2

The campfire program has no admission fee and is open to all WDW resort guests. It generally begins around 7 p.m. during the fall/winter season and 8 p.m. after the time changes in April through the summer. It is held near the Meadow Trading Post in the campfire area. The program begins with a sing-along led by a Disney CM and a marshmallow roast around two campfire rings. You may bring your own marshmallows or buy them at the Chuck Wagon. You may also buy pizza, hot dogs, candy, nachos, juice, popcorn, sodas, coffee, beer and other refreshments at the Chuck Wagon. While this is going on, Chip and Dale make an appearance to visit with guests and sign autographs. The sing-along lasts about 40 minutes. Next, one or two Disney animated features, depending upon the season, are shown on a large outdoor screen. Seating is available in bleachers or on benches. There is also plenty of room to lay out a quilt or blanket. In the event of rain, the sing-along is still held on the porch of the Meadow Trading Post.

Here's a map... I always like visuals ;)

This is a review of the campfire that I did several years ago.
Campfire Sing-a-long

Just to be on the safe side, I would still check the times when you arrive at VWL;)

Happy Planning!
Heather

Ok I've been reading lots of stuff, and I apologize if this has been answered already, but I am confused!

Last year at POR I got a QS breakfast that consisted of a large Mickey waffle, some bacon, and strawberries. It was a QS credit. Where can I get something like that around Fort Wilderness? Because what I'm reading is that at Trail's End to Go and at Roaring Fork, all there is for QS breakfast is stuff like muffins and rolls and danishes.

I want some actual food for breakfast! I don't want to use a table service credit for breakfast and I don't understand how I could have had such a good and filling breakfast last year at POR and now all that is available is donuts and coffee!!!

I am still trying to figure out how to do quotes easily so bear with me everyone!

I am wondering the same thing... my daughter wants Mickey waffles and as far as I can tell, the only way to get them is to use 1TS... so I'm right there with ya and hoping for an encouraging answer. Otherwise, I may have to bring a mickey waffle iron onto the plane.... (oh please, no!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter