Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

:yay:well gee whiz....isn't that the nicest darn resort thread y'all ever did see????

I"ll be fixin to stay there sometime!:cool1:

(bad grammar intended for humorous purposes;)) Good job Heather!!!!!!

Well Erin, we're gonna have to work on that Southern slang of yours ;):rotfl: You crack me up...

Jennifer, now I need to bring party lights too! I think I'll take the ones from my camper!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Now you both have me thinking about taking party lights :upsidedow :laughing:

Very nice, would be cool to some link this thread to the camping board on the Dis, where a lot of visitors to the Fort post.

Richard

Thanks Richard! Is there a way to link it over there? I'm not really sure...wish I knew. But you're right, the Camping Thread has lots of traffic for the Fort, especially those in RVs, campers and tents. I'm more of a cabin girl, myself ;)

Well, maybe we'll just have to start something, eh? We can't let those folks in the trailers have all the fun!
Also, when we were the Dream, we decorated our door with magnets. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of a fun way to decorate our door at the cabin, that's allowed and not harmful to it. I would LOVE to do a wreath of some sort, decked out with Chip and Dale and Daniel Boone Donald etc, but it would have to be shipped to be there when we arrived. Not completely crazy, but a little bit! It would be great to come up with something else that was travel friendly.... any ideas anyone?

:squirrel::squirrel::squirrel::squirrel::squirrel::squirrel::squirrel::squirrel::squirrel:

Since I have (another) 2-hour school delay, this would be a great time for a little Christmas 2013 FW cheer…

Thanks Richard! Is there a way to link it over there? I'm not really sure...wish I knew. But you're right, the Camping Thread has lots of traffic for the Fort, especially those in RVs, campers and tents. I'm more of a cabin girl, myself ;)

I am not sure how to link, I will mess around and see, this is a great thread, I know all my camping friends, both RV/tent and cabins, would love this thread!! I will let you know and thanks for a great thread! :thumbsup2

Richard

Well, maybe we'll just have to start something, eh? We can't let those folks in the trailers have all the fun!
Also, when we were the Dream, we decorated our door with magnets. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of a fun way to decorate our door at the cabin, that's allowed and not harmful to it. I would LOVE to do a wreath of some sort, decked out with Chip and Dale and Daniel Boone Donald etc, but it would have to be shipped to be there when we arrived. Not completely crazy, but a little bit! It would be great to come up with something else that was travel friendly.... any ideas anyone?

:squirrel::squirrel::squirrel::squirrel::squirrel::squirrel::squirrel::squirrel::squirrel:

I am not sure how, but maybe some very strong magnets will hold it on there. We always have Fort Wilderness items on our cruise doors, working on something for our Feb. Magic cruise, if I can think of something, I will let you know!

Richard

Love the squirrels!! And love the wreath idea with Chip and Dale!! I've already been on Pinterest:rolleyes1 looking for ideas. When I find something, I'll post a pic. And don't worry about being "crazy". Where else can you go and see grown men walking around with Mickey hats and shirts and not think twice??!! :laughing: ONLY Disney!

Since I have (another) 2-hour school delay, this would be a great time for a little Christmas 2013 FW cheer…

What in the world?! I thought the weather was clearing. Rain forecasted for us.

Thank ya for sharing the pic!!! Now you've given me another idea...:scratchin Something to put on my golf cart!! Since it will be June, it's going to have to be a Summer time theme. And when DH tells me I'm over the top, I'll just blame the idea on you :teeth:

I am not sure how to link, I will mess around and see, this is a great thread, I know all my camping friends, both RV/tent and cabins, would love this thread!! I will let you know and thanks for a great thread! :thumbsup2

Richard

I appreciate that, Richard. Thanks a million! And have fun on the Magic...not too many more weeks! :dance3: Where are y'all cruising?

Are the doors metal? I just assumed they were wooden... But that would make more sense, now that I think about. But, even if they are, I like my wreath idea! I went on Ebay and typed in Chip and Dale, looking for little things to put on/in it... lots of options!!

Here's a question though... I know YOU guys won't think I'm crazy, but I have one of those "grumpy" non-Disney-inclined husbands. Once I get him there, he's fine, but I can't imagine how my wifely stock might plummet if he knows I went to the trouble of a)making the wreath and b)shipping it! Should I care??? He is a Bruce Springsteen nut. I have travelled thousands of miles to see Bruce with him and all of it with a smile on my face (granted, I love him too now) but STILL. I would LOVE it if he'd show me a little Disney love! Ok, that is my rant for the day, thank you for listening.

Love the squirrels!! And love the wreath idea with Chip and Dale!! I've already been on Pinterest:rolleyes1 looking for ideas. When I find something, I'll post a pic. And don't worry about being "crazy". Where else can you go and see grown men walking around with Mickey hats and shirts and not think twice??!! :laughing: ONLY Disney!

What in the world?! I thought the weather was clearing. Rain forecasted for us.

Thank ya for sharing the pic!!! Now you've given me another idea...:scratchin Something to put on my golf cart!! Since it will be June, it's going to have to be a Summer time theme. And when DH tells me I'm over the top, I'll just blame the idea on you :teeth:

I appreciate that, Richard. Thanks a million! And have fun on the Magic...not too many more weeks! :dance3: Where are y'all cruising?

We are heading to the Bahamas! I am sure we will make a day trip to the Fort, as we always do when in the area. I have been going to the Fort since it first opened, go to the Camping board and look for the picture of the day, on the last page you will see me back in the early '70s at the Fort. I am working to scan more of the older photos from our trips there. Thanks again for all the break down of the Fort. We are going to be camping in our fifth wheel late May into early June, mostly hanging at the Fort, but spending a few days working at Give Kids the World!

Richard

Heather how did I miss this! LOVE the cabins :flower3: We are too big now...unless I leave DH at home :rotfl: AWESOME job :hug:

Are the doors metal? I just assumed they were wooden... But that would make more sense, now that I think about. But, even if they are, I like my wreath idea! I went on Ebay and typed in Chip and Dale, looking for little things to put on/in it... lots of options!!

Here's a question though... I know YOU guys won't think I'm crazy, but I have one of those "grumpy" non-Disney-inclined husbands. Once I get him there, he's fine, but I can't imagine how my wifely stock might plummet if he knows I went to the trouble of a)making the wreath and b)shipping it! Should I care??? He is a Bruce Springsteen nut. I have travelled thousands of miles to see Bruce with him and all of it with a smile on my face (granted, I love him too now) but STILL. I would LOVE it if he'd show me a little Disney love! Ok, that is my rant for the day, thank you for listening.

Yes!! The doors are metal, but DO NOT use anything sticky, ie. tape, hanging strips, hangers on the door, as if the paint is messed up, DCL will charge you greatly. If you can not get a real wreath, design one on a draw program and print it on magnet paper, you can get it at a craft store. Also, check the cruise section of the DISBOARDS for a lot of great door ideas!

Sorry to hijack the great Fort Wilderness thread.

Richard

ps. as for your husband, just keep working on him, do some planning and make it seem like it was his idea.... Here is some Pixie Dust for him! pixiedust:

. We are going to be camping in our fifth wheel late May into early June, mostly hanging at the Fort, but spending a few days working at Give Kids the World!

Richard

Yay for you working Give Kids the World! That is on my bucket list! When our DD10 is old enough, we will be there!

ps. as for your husband, just keep working on him, do some planning and make it seem like it was his idea.... Here is some Pixie Dust for him! pixiedust:

Oh thank you for that, Richard! And thank you for the magnet tips. Yes, I decked out 5 doors with magnets on the cruise so I am well versed! Now here we go again!!! :cool1:

Haven't thought about Ebay! Great idea! I'll be checking it out....tonight ;)

There are lots of "Grumpy" hubbies out there; you're not alone....promise! My DH can get in the Disney slumps at times :upsidedow Have you expressed your concerns about his Disney love? ;)

We are heading to the Bahamas! I am sure we will make a day trip to the Fort, as we always do when in the area. I have been going to the Fort since it first opened, go to the Camping board and look for the picture of the day, on the last page you will see me back in the early '70s at the Fort. I am working to scan more of the older photos from our trips there. Thanks again for all the break down of the Fort. We are going to be camping in our fifth wheel late May into early June, mostly hanging at the Fort, but spending a few days working at Give Kids the World!

Richard

No kidding!?! One of the veteran's, huh??!! I'll be checking out that picture thread asap:thumbsup2

Your cruise sounds fabulous. DH is ready to do another one, too. We did the Dream in 2012 and would like to try one of Disney's other ships.

That's really great that y'all volunteer for that organization. I'm sure it's very rewarding. And perfect when you're already in Orlando at FW.

Heather how did I miss this! LOVE the cabins :flower3: We are too big now...unless I leave DH at home :rotfl: AWESOME job :hug:

Howdy there, Pas :wave: Maybe on one of your girl trips, you can stop by for a couple of nights. Well worth a visit ;) Hope school is going well for you :goodvibes

Sorry to hijack the great Fort Wilderness thread.

No apologies here, please! Hijack away!! :thumbsup2 You're a wealth of Disney knowledge ::yes::

Love it!! :laughing: You're a smart man, Richard ;)

Ok....here's some wreath ideas I found. I like the grapevine wreath Mickey idea for sure. Perhaps I'll take this and do something with Chip n' Dale or Musket Mickey...making it a bit more for the Summer months, of course . In keeping with the theme of FW, burlap ribbon would also be cute;). A wreath could easily be hung on the porch banisters along with your party lights, Jennifer;)

Ok....here's some wreath ideas I found. I like the grapevine wreath Mickey idea for sure. Perhaps I'll take this and do something with Chip n' Dale or Musket Mickey...making it a bit more for the Summer months, of course . In keeping with the theme of FW, burlap ribbon would also be cute;). A wreath could easily be hung on the porch banisters along with your party lights, Jennifer;)

Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE that one on the left!! So FW!!!! Thank you for the inspiration!! Wouldn't it be fun if we made one and then found out through this thread who is overlapping our stay and we can pass it on to them ala pixie dust style so as not pack it home.... and so on and so on....

Do you think that a standard metal wreath hanger would be ok with the CM's?

Grumpy husband update... he was a little less Grumpy tonight, and a little more like Ebeneezer... but still, it was an improvement. I just have to kick my business in gear (as a photographer, this is normally my off season as I'm recovering from a busy fall wedding and Christmas portrait season!) Anyhow, if I can pay for a bigger chunk of it he will be happier. So... I advertised a class tonight (4 students signed up already!) and launched a gumballs and grins portrait event for little ones... no takers on that yet, but I JUST posted it. A bride called today and interviewed me an hour later and I thought, this is a sign! If I book this wedding, then there's a chunk of change I can put toward the trip. Alas, she said she'd call me next week (but secretly I'm pretty sure I got her!) Anyhow, my 40th bday is this summer, so he can hardly make me cancel, right???! lol Woe is the life of the Disney crazed spouse. ::MickeyMo::MickeyMo::MickeyMo::MickeyMo::MickeyMo

Howdy there, Pas :wave: Maybe on one of your girl trips, you can stop by for a couple of nights. Well worth a visit ;) Hope school is going well for you :goodvibes

It's soooo nice there. We really had our best trip ever there! Even without the golf cart:thumbsup2 School is okay, a lot of work for week 1 :eek:

LOVE both of those wreaths!!:love:

It's soooo nice there. We really had our best trip ever there! Even without the golf cart:thumbsup2 School is okay, a lot of work for week 1 :eek:

Yes, can we talk about those golf carts. At $59 a day, I really thought we'd do it. So many people say they are must and I can understand why. But now, at $79 a day, I can't decide! I suppose I could wait and see how the budget looks closer to it, but I am encouraged by what you said above, should we have to forego it. I think we will splurge, but I'd love to hear from those who've done it with and without, and specifically from the cabin point of view, as we are a good chunk away from that Magic Kingdom boat!

Yes, can we talk about those golf carts. At $59 a day, I really thought we'd do it. So many people say they are must and I can understand why. But now, at $79 a day, I can't decide! I suppose I could wait and see how the budget looks closer to it, but I am encouraged by what you said above, should we have to forego it. I think we will splurge, but I'd love to hear from those who've done it with and without, and specifically from the cabin point of view, as we are a good chunk away from that Magic Kingdom boat!

I just called yesterday and made a golf cart reservation for later this month. The $79 cart seats six people. They still have the $59 that seats four. so unless you need a larger one you can still get one for $59! Hope that helsp. :thumbsup2

We have stayed both with and without a golf cart and we really prefer to have one. It's just such a fun, easy way to get around what really is a BIG resort. If you get to the pool and realize you forgot the sunscreen :rolleyes1 just hop on the cart and run back to your site/cabin. So much easier than waiting on a bus. Plus, as you said the cabins are a good distance from the MK boat. Not too bad heading out, but after a long exhausting day at the MK we like to get off our feet and to our beds ASAP. However, we have stayed when our budget didn't allow for a cart and we still had a great time. We brought our bicycles and still managed to get around pretty easily. Either way I'm sure you will have a great time!

Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE that one on the left!! So FW!!!! Thank you for the inspiration!! Wouldn't it be fun if we made one and then found out through this thread who is overlapping our stay and we can pass it on to them ala pixie dust style so as not pack it home.... and so on and so on....

Nice idea! :goodvibes My mother is very crafty, so I'm going to pick her brain. When we put something together, I'll post a pic.

Do you think that a standard metal wreath hanger would be ok with the CM's?

:scratchin Not sure. I would assume it would be ok as long as it doesn't scratch the door. A wreath could also we attached to the porch.

Grumpy husband update... he was a little less Grumpy tonight, and a little more like Ebeneezer... but still, it was an improvement. I just have to kick my business in gear (as a photographer, this is normally my off season as I'm recovering from a busy fall wedding and Christmas portrait season!) Anyhow, if I can pay for a bigger chunk of it he will be happier. So... I advertised a class tonight (4 students signed up already!) and launched a gumballs and grins portrait event for little ones... no takers on that yet, but I JUST posted it. A bride called today and interviewed me an hour later and I thought, this is a sign! If I book this wedding, then there's a chunk of change I can put toward the trip. Alas, she said she'd call me next week (but secretly I'm pretty sure I got her!) Anyhow, my 40th bday is this summer, so he can hardly make me cancel, right???! lol Woe is the life of the Disney crazed spouse. ::MickeyMo::MickeyMo::MickeyMo::MickeyMo::MickeyMo

:yay: for Grumpy making strides ;) Day by day...you never know, he may turn into a Disney lover after all. And two :banana::banana: for more photo bookings!!! And no canceling! You have a bday coming up!!!

:goodvibes glad to hear school is okay...at least you aren't saying "bad". You've totally got this, Pas:thumbsup2

When my mom and I create our new FW wreath, I'll post a pic;) (DH is just rolling his eyes and laughing as I type :upsidedow)

I'm NOT a good one to ask about this :laughing: My kids love a golf cart. But if Pas says it was fine, it had to be:thumbsup2 Seriously. What about renting bikes?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter