Disney's fabulous,credit card guaranteed to extend the magic

d-r, I agree with what you said. It is scary some of the things I've been reading on these boards. I've seen several posts saying that they want the card just to get the "From Day One" card (or whatever it says.) It is scarier to know that Bank One is telling these people that didn't get the type of card they want to just reapply then cancel the other card! I do not think that all of the people getting this card understands the potential effects it could have on his/her credit. Hey, but we're all adults, aren't we?!

I'm one of "those people" that is cancelling the first card to get the DVC member card.... I currently have great credit, and pay off my cards every month anyway, and never carry over a balance.... I'm planning on using the Disney VISA the same way, or doing balance transfers to my Amex to rack up the miles.

I don't compare this card straight up to the disney club, I compare it to Disney Club + American Express. When AMEX was the official card, you could turn in those points for tickets, breakfasts, etc., you got discounts on things like water craft rental, dining, and 20% at world of disney. I haven't seen anything that begins to suggest that this card is better than that combination.

I recently posted my thoughts on the Disney Visa vs. The AmEx/DC combination on the DVC Forum, and I thought I'd repeat them here, for the sake of discussion:

Most important, I think, is the fact that, depending on how you use your rewards, AmEx's Membership Rewards works out to roughly 1% (or less) in most cases, making the rewards value equal to (or less than) the Disney Visa's earnings. It's true that the Disney Visa earns you only one Dream Reward point per $100 spent, while AmEx earns you one Membership Rewards point for every $1, but the DR points are each worth $1, while the MR points are essentially each worth only a penny! (again, this depends on how you spend them, but a $50 Gap gift card costs 5000 MR points. That's a penny per point! And some rewards work out to even less.) So in both cases, $100 of spending earns you basically $1 of reward. At the risk of oversimplifying, the Disney Visa points are worth $1 each, while the AmEx MR points are worth $0.01 (or less) each. One has to keep this in mind when comparing the programs. Also, while the MR points could be used for only a select few rewards at WDW from a pre-set list, and the DC discount was basically good only at Downtown Disney, and only in a few stores, the Visa rewards, as I understand them, can be used for anything anywhere at WDW.

Second, in comparing that 1% reward to a 20% discount on the DC, I think you may be comparing apples to oranges. Look at it like this: let's say that BEFORE, you spent $52000 per year on your AmEx, paid it in full every statement, and you had a DC card; and NOW instead you will spend $52000 per year on your Disney Visa and pay it in full every statement. BEFORE, you would earn 52000 MR points, which you could trade for a six-day Park Hopper Plus (a $308 value, for a 0.6% reward value, just over one-HALF a percent) with 2000 MR points left over (call it a $20 gift card for the store of your choice at the going 1% rate) and you could use your Disney Club to save 20% on your Downtown Disney Shopping (say $200 off of $1000 worth of shopping). All told you've gotten $508 of "free" stuff out of your DC and MR, assuming you'd spend $1000 at DD or save the $200 in some other form of DC discount. And you are spending $120 in membership fees for these programs, if I am correct. ($50 AmEx, $30 MR, $40 DC). NOW, spending the $52000 on your Disney Visa gives you $520 Dream Reward dollars, which will BUY you a Premium Annual Pass outright. That is, 100% OFF your PAP, just for spending money you were spending anyway. Also that's $52000 expediture for a $520 reward -- a full 1%, while you only got 0.6% when you used the MR points for a 6-day PHP. And there are no fees as long as you pay your balance each statement.

So, to summarize:
AmEx/DC combo:
annual spending: $52000 (for example)
reward value: $508 (assuming you can get $200 in discounts out of DC in a year; you might have to spend another $800 to "save" this $200!)
fees: $120
net benefit: $388

Disney Visa:
annual spending: $52000 (for example)
reward value: $520 (no matter what you use it for at WDW!)
fees: $0
net benefit: $520

Now granted most of us don't spend $52000 a year on our credit card, but in that case the $120 in fees for the AmEx/DC option just weighs heavier against its benefits! For instance, if you spent only $4000 per year on either option, the AmEx/DC option would get you a $25 character breakfast for 3500 of your MR points with 500 left over towards $5 worth of a gift card, and, say, $50 savings on a $250 shopping spree, but you still would have spent $120 in fees, so you are DOWN $40 on the deal. Spending the same $4000 on your Disney Visa, you'd get $40 in Dream Reward dollars to spend as you'd like at WDW. $40 benefit, no fees.

So to some, a 1% "reward" can be better than a 20% discount.

I am by no means THRILLED with the Disney Visa's offerings, but I think that many will find that, for them, the overall benefit is AT LEAST as good as the old AmEx/DC combo!

Than of course there is AmEx Cash Reward Card. It gives 1.5% cash back on all purchases and doubles it to 3% back at supermarkets, gas stations and drug stores. And there is no Annual Fee.

Todds.

I think the key part of what you said is " think that many will find that, for them, the overall benefit is AT LEAST as good as the old AmEx/DC combo!"

"many"

And that may very well work for a specific example. Now run the figures on the discounted disney packages, versus getting a room only with the previous Disney club discount. Or, add in the 20% amex discount at WOD, the dining discounts, or the water craft, cirque, etc. Where's the Disney magazine subscription, and so on. While it may work for a specific purchase, I think the overall picture is probably more complex.

(now I am going to add something small here. I've read that it is not 1%, but 1 "Dream dollar" or whatever for every $100 spent, such that you could spend up to $199 and only get 1 magic dollar, is that correct? I hope that, as people have posted there, the reward dollars do have a dollar per dollar redemption rate).

Now, I agree that some may benefit on some purchases, but I'm not sure that those who don't want to commit to a new credit card - or do not have the credit history to be able to - will find those deals as good as they had when they could simply pay a flat rate for Disney Club without having to sign up for a credit card.

Have you ever noticed people freelancing for those citibank cards they give to college students? They will offer free prizes or incentives to everyone who will feel out one of those applications and let them fax it in. I think they do that because there is a profit reward for every application that they generate. This is why I think that Disney is trying to generate some quick capital from their most loyal customers by enticing them with day 1 or dvc on a credit card. Disney is going to make a profit on every dollar that is spent on these cards.

Contrast that with this:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162725

Is this the type of customer relations management that was described? Do you think it is a good idea to shut out or alienate a segment of their most loyal customers in order to make some quick cash from others?

I really don't, and I find it really vile of disney to do this, frankly.

DR

you could spend up to $199 and only get 1 magic dollar, is that correct?
No, you'd get two. They round up (or down). So, if you spent $149.99 during a month, you'd only get one.

Originally posted by SAKPEG99OKW
I use my AMEX for everything and get 2pts for every dollar I spend, sometimes 4pts. (

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Disney disavow themselves from American Express sometime last year? Are you still able to utilize AMEX points for Disney stuff, or are you just saying that you are accumulating points for something other than Disney?

I do agree that the rewards on this card are pretty poor, but hey it's better than nothing I guess. They really could have made it a 2% or 3% reward though. I will be interested to see what will need to be done in order to gain the stated double and triple the awards bonuses.

Brian

DR -

You make a lot of excellent points (as I knew you would!) which is why I left myself some wiggle room in my closing statement, as you also point out, when I said
I am by no means THRILLED with the Disney Visa's offerings, but I think that many will find that, for them, the overall benefit is AT LEAST as good as the old AmEx/DC combo!
But my basic points, despite my rather long-winded post (sorry!) were that (a) I got the impression from some posts in this discussion that a lot of people who were really unhappy with the Disney Visa's benefits might be misunderstanding some of these benefits (which, incidentally, does not necessarily mean that I do understand them! ;)) and (b) I thought that there might be some (like myself, I am hoping) who might get equal or more value out of the Disney Visa than the AmEx just by virtue of the way they already spend at WDW. HOWEVER, I certainly need to agree with you here...
I'm not sure that those who don't want to commit to a new credit card - or do not have the credit history to be able to - will find those deals as good as they had when they could simply pay a flat rate for Disney Club without having to sign up for a credit card.
...If you need to make major changes to the way your WDW trips are currently structured and finanaced to benefit from the new card, then I can definitely see where the end of DC and the Start of Disney Visa are a HUGE disappointment. But if one is currently spending enough on AmEx to have made the fees for MR worthwhile, then I can't see where one couldn't get a similar benefit out of the Disney Visa. I'm sure sorry to see DC go, as I was when MKC ended, and I definitely sympathize with people's negative impression of the new card. I just am hoping that I can make good of it, and trying to be as positive about it as I can. I seem to find myself doing this with lots of Disney's recent changes!

Because of my spending habits I will get much more benifit from the new CC. However, I would like to know the logic behind dropping the DC card. I don't see any major up-side to getting rid of it. People that don't want or can't get a credit card are now bitter and possibly lost as customers, and these were people willing to pay an annual fee. I'm sure one of Disney's concerns may have been that people would "double dip" them by making DC discount purchases and paying for them with the reward card, but with todays computerized system safeguards to eliminate that could have been put into place if they so chose,(fun though, the GM card gives double rebate on GM dealership parts & service purchases as an extra reward for customer loyalty). Maybe with enough complaints Disney will realize they should reinstitute the DC card.

And then there's the category of people like me, who pay for a premium annual pass every year, spend several thousand dollars every year in Disney theme parks, have good credit in that I don't have any delinquencies on my credit report and always make my payments on time, and was even willing to pay an annual fee, and was still turned down by Bank One, because they are so picky and looking for certain types of profiles. The only excuse they could come up with for mine was that they didn't like the amount of some of my balances :rolleyes: You would think someone who spends that much money with Disney and stays in their deluxe hotels with a $1500 room key limit each time would be worthy of one of their credit cards, even with a small limit or something. Well two people can play at this game. From now on, I will no longer get any cash advances from the ATMs inside Disney World, so Bank One will no longer get any ATM fees from me (all the ATMs now say Bank One and are $2 per use, and I usually use them once or twice per trip, and go to Disney at least every month or two, so they were getting quite a little bundle from me, but no longer). Needless to say, I won't ever be having anything to do with Bank One ever again, and I think someone at Disney should be hearing about cases like mine, although I don't know who that should be. Goodbye Bank One!

Originally posted by freediverdude
And then there's the category of people like me, who pay for a premium annual pass every year, spend several thousand dollars every year in Disney theme parks, have good credit in that I don't have any delinquencies on my credit report and always make my payments on time,...The only excuse they could come up with for mine was that they didn't like the amount of some of my balances
Do you have a lot of high balances on cards/accounts that you already have? If your debt to income ratio is to high then they will look at you as being a bad credit risk, regardless of how "clean" your payments are etc.

Originally posted by freediverdude
And then there's the category of people like me, who pay for a premium annual pass every year, spend several thousand dollars every year in Disney theme parks, have good credit in that I don't have any delinquencies on my credit report and always make my payments on time, and was even willing to pay an annual fee, and was still turned down by Bank One, because they are so picky and looking for certain types of profiles. The only excuse they could come up with for mine was that they didn't like the amount of some of my balances :rolleyes: You would think someone who spends that much money with Disney and stays in their deluxe hotels with a $1500 room key limit each time would be worthy of one of their credit cards, even with a small limit or something. Well two people can play at this game. From now on, I will no longer get any cash advances from the ATMs inside Disney World, so Bank One will no longer get any ATM fees from me (all the ATMs now say Bank One and are $2 per use, and I usually use them once or twice per trip, and go to Disney at least every month or two, so they were getting quite a little bundle from me, but no longer). Needless to say, I won't ever be having anything to do with Bank One ever again, and I think someone at Disney should be hearing about cases like mine, although I don't know who that should be. Goodbye Bank One!

This is the problem. And this is a problem beyond those customers who just don't want to bother rearranging their credit card habits to save a disney dream dollar.

Disney is making a bad mistake here. Instead of delivering on the promise that they were going to get to know their frequent customers at a better level, they are letting another company (bank 1) make decisions about the relationships they have with their most loyal customers, based on a single score derived by another company (I forget who makes that Fico score; Fair Isaac? Standard and Poore? Anyway, you get my point). Both of those outside companies have no interest beyond turning a profit.

So, Disney, is it worth it to you to raise some quick capital by letting these other two companies determine your relationships with your best customers?

Seems like a bad idea to me.

DR

Originally posted by disneychrista
Do you have a lot of high balances on cards/accounts that you already have? If your debt to income ratio is to high then they will look at you as being a bad credit risk, regardless of how "clean" your payments are etc.

But that is the point - why on earth should that matter at all for someone wanting to join a frequent disney customer reward program? Why should access to disney club-type discounts be limited to only those people who a credit card company doesn't like the income ratio of? That doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

As I just said, instead of Disney deciding how they want to develop their relationship with a frequent and repeat guest, they have given that over to other companies, in the interest of making some quick capital. I'm sure that there are many other loyal customers who are feeling a bit burned. It was such a stupid move for them to get rid of the disney club that anyone who wanted to could join - they could have had this credit card in addition to that. But no, they had to give people a reason to sign up for this card. I wonder if Disney sees any profit just for people signing up - like the hawkers on college campuses do.

DR

And one last piece of information, this from Larworth's other thread about Micheal Eisner's comments at the shareholder meeting:

Disney Card is a key part of our CRM program. There will be bonus opportunities coming.

Just in case anyone doubted that this was not a part of the customer relations management program. So, the bold new customers relations management program will cut out those who don't want another credit card, can't get one, or that another company decides it doesn't want to give one - is this REALLY the way you want to do this Disney??

DR

So, Disney, is it worth it to you to raise some quick capital by letting these other two companies determine your relationships with your best customers?

Answer - yes!

Reality - probably not. I suspect the picture is much bigger here. How do all those new signers really know what profiling advantages the mighty Disney co. now has with their credit access. Afterall, they willingly gave all that personal info over for the "opportunity" to enroll.

There are two main advantages here - tap into the merchant fee revenue arena and specifically tarket your consumer market based on their habits and lifestyles. And 100,000 people already gave everything over for the words "first" to appear on their plastic credit card.

Seems so much more costly than a DC ever was.

Originally posted by d-r
But that is the point - why on earth should that matter at all for someone wanting to join a frequent disney customer reward program? Why should access to disney club-type discounts be limited to only those people who a credit card company doesn't like the income ratio of?
Because this is a Credit Card not a discount program (ie Disney Club). I see it as two seperate programs. The Credit Card is not replacing the Disney Club because they are not the same thing. As far as I can see there are NO discounts, per se, in connection with the Disney Visa Maybe once the Club closes at the end of the year this will be added, but I for one, am not holding my breath.

Disney made the decision to close the Disney Club. Bank One along with Disney made the decision to start a Disney Rewards Visa. Did one have to do anything with the other? I am not convienced.

The Credit Card is not replacing the Disney Club because they are not the same thing.
Actually, this is part of the problem.

When Disney chose to shut down the Magic Kingdom Club, they assured the cardholders that the replcement (Disney Club) would be better than the original. Most of us who belonged to both would disagree. Similarly, once Disney chose to dismantle the Disney Club, they assured us that the new program would be better... We got a Visa Card that seems not to have any of the benefits of the Disney Club, and limited rewards compared to other co-branded Visa cards. Additionally, it has the *benefit* of alienating anyone who, for whatever reason, doesn't want/need or can't get a credit card.

Given that the Magic Kingdom Card was begun as a way to reward loyal and regular customers, this downgrading of the original purpose has put some noses out of joint.

Sarangel

Originally posted by Sarangel
Similarly, once Disney chose to dismantle the Disney Club, they assured us that the new program would be better... We got a Visa Card
This is where I am not 100% convienced. Is the Visa the "replacement" for the Disney Club? I am not sure how it even CAN be called a replacement, because that would be comparing apples and oranges. Disney has said they could "deliver stronger promotional offers through other methods". Those methods may or may not be through the Disney Visa.

Come on people, how many times could you whip out your MKC or DC card at Wal-mart and show Mickey in all his glory? Now, you can show that you are a fan of the Mouse with each and every purchase.

I guess that Disney also gets more advertising exposure by show their card to all the cashiers around the world....

I guess Disney gets a piece of that interest on all the unpaid balances each month...

Oh, you do get a small "reward" for using their card (which is only good at Disney stores, so they get the reward back - which is good for Disney).

Boy, I don't know how anyone thought the Disney Visa was not as good as the MKC.

Casual Observer

"I guess Disney gets a piece of that interest on all the unpaid balances each month..."

So pay your balance every month & don't allow Disney to collect any interest.

"Oh, you do get a small "reward" for using their card (which is only good at Disney stores, so they get the reward back - which is good for Disney)."

If Disney is where my vacation dollars are going to be spent, why wouldn't I want a reward card, regardless of the size of the reward, that allows me to earn a few diz bucks just for doing something I already do- use credit cards for virtually everything I can.

"Boy, I don't know how anyone thought the Disney Visa was not as good as the MKC."

Sarcasm aside, I never had a MKC card & only got the DC card for the AP pass discount,(discount covered DC fee). For me personally, the Visa is a better option. I will never pay interest on a balance.It doesn't have an annual fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter