• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information & Questions

We'll be in a 2 bedroom at BLT 6/3-6/12. We used to switch up our resort every trip, but 6 trips ago we discovered the BLT villas and haven't looked back! :cloud9:

I am obsessed with CR since our stay last week! It was our first stay at CR and I loved everything about it! The walk to MK, the monorail view,Contempo and Chef Mickeys, watching the fireworks from the observation deck,......the list goes on and on! I really was afraid I wouldn't like it because it didn't feel/look very Disney, but I loved all of it!

I am obsessed with CR since our stay last week! It was our first stay at CR and I loved everything about it! The walk to MK, the monorail view,Contempo and Chef Mickeys, watching the fireworks from the observation deck,......the list goes on and on! I really was afraid I wouldn't like it because it didn't feel/look very Disney, but I loved all of it!

I felt the same way before staying there in 2010. I'm so happy you loved it and had a great trip!

Ok, I just got back and I have to say I was disappointed. If I had been anywhere other than Disney World I might have been happy, but not for a Disney trip. Disclaimer this was my first trip as an Adult and I can probably blame my agent more than anything else, but here are my complaints. In planning all I heard was staying on property made you feel engulfed by Disney, not once did I feel like this at the Contemporary. I felt like I was at a Hilton attached to a convention center. When booking we told our agent we wanted something easily accessible from the parks as we had a member of our party who has difficulties walking. While close to MK it was further out from the other three parks and walking to the lobby from the Garden Wing felt longer than walking from the lobby to MK. The bathrooms while they looked nice were impractical as there was no counter space just two oversized sinks that made hand washing and teeth brushing for my 5 year old impossible without being lifted up. The water coming from the sinks and showers had a fish smell as if it was being pumped directly from Bay Lake. The one positive thing I can say is the staff was exceptional. The maids and bellmen were the most friendly, helpful people I encountered my entire trip. With my disappointment I looked at other hotels while there for my next trip and I can say almost all looked more appealing than Contemporary. Even with the hotel disappointment we had a fantastic time!

Ok, I just got back and I have to say I was disappointed. If I had been anywhere other than Disney World I might have been happy, but not for a Disney trip. Disclaimer this was my first trip as an Adult and I can probably blame my agent more than anything else, but here are my complaints. In planning all I heard was staying on property made you feel engulfed by Disney, not once did I feel like this at the Contemporary. I felt like I was at a Hilton attached to a convention center. When booking we told our agent we wanted something easily accessible from the parks as we had a member of our party who has difficulties walking. While close to MK it was further out from the other three parks and walking to the lobby from the Garden Wing felt longer than walking from the lobby to MK. The bathrooms while they looked nice were impractical as there was no counter space just two oversized sinks that made hand washing and teeth brushing for my 5 year old impossible without being lifted up. The water coming from the sinks and showers had a fish smell as if it was being pumped directly from Bay Lake. The one positive thing I can say is the staff was exceptional. The maids and bellmen were the most friendly, helpful people I encountered my entire trip. With my disappointment I looked at other hotels while there for my next trip and I can say almost all looked more appealing than Contemporary. Even with the hotel disappointment we had a fantastic time!

Sorry you had a disappointing trip. The contemporary is closest to MK while boardwalk is closest to Epcot but all require some distance to walk as unlike Disneyland they are not just out the door and a short walk to the gates (DH and I have stayed at Grand Californian and liked the short walk to Disneyland gates !) as for the smell in the water, we are on a well here in Texas and the smell could be a little sulfur in the water which we now have a filter to take care of and has worked wonders. I always refer to the smell as "Disney water" and know some on the thread have bought bottled water to drink and /or make ice cubes.

I have not stayed at Disney all star resorts but have heard they have some nice decorations that make people really feel the Disney experience.

DH and I are not totally enamord with the contemporary look or BLT look but did buy dvc at BLT for the convenience to MK and the monorail. Each Disney on site resort has a different theme so to speak which speaks to everyone differently.

Agree the CM's at contemporary and BLT have always been fantastic on our visits as have the CM's at Grand Floridian. Hope you give another Disney resort a chance as it is really magical to stay on property.

30 days until we are at CR!!

Any tips for CR with a toddler? I know it has a splash area and I am sure my son would just play there all day. He loved the one at the Poly but it was geared toward a little bit bigger kid so I actually like the simple one at CR lol! Is there a playground anywhere nearby? I know some DVC resorts have them but for some reason I feel like the monorail ones do not...

Ok, I just got back and I have to say I was disappointed...

Sorry to hear about this. I've never stayed at Contemporary but I've spent a lot of time in the lobby/restaurants there and can definitely see why some people get the vibe that it is the least "disney" of the WDW resorts. It seems to be a common point of discussion about the resort and a concern that I share about my upcoming visit. Also Florida water does have a weird taste/smell, one of the weird Disney traits.

Anyone watch Happily Ever After either from the BLT lounge or California Grill, yet?

30 days until we are at CR!!

Any tips for CR with a toddler? I know it has a splash area and I am sure my son would just play there all day. He loved the one at the Poly but it was geared toward a little bit bigger kid so I actually like the simple one at CR lol! Is there a playground anywhere nearby? I know some DVC resorts have them but for some reason I feel like the monorail ones do not...
There was one between the garden wing and Bay Lake Tower unless it's been removed. Back before they tore down the old North Garden wing to may way for BLT we would try to request a wing room in that area on the ground floor and I could sit on the patio and watch the girls at the old playground. Many years ago as they're now 20 & 22

There was one between the garden wing and Bay Lake Tower unless it's been removed. Back before they tore down the old North Garden wing to may way for BLT we would try to request a wing room in that area on the ground floor and I could sit on the patio and watch the girls at the old playground. Many years ago as they're now 20 & 22
It's still there. Just a few structures though - nothing like some of the others on property.

...Anyone watch Happily Ever After either from the BLT lounge or California Grill, yet?
You'd need to be a DVC member or staying with a DVC member on their reservation to watch from the TOTWL at BLT.

Anyone watch Happily Ever After either from the BLT lounge or California Grill, yet?

I am wondering how it will come across from that advantage as it seems to be less fireworks. We will probably head over to TOTWL at some point to watch. We have CG reservations too but I prefer watching from TOTWL.

We are DVC members as well..

I am wondering how it will come across from that advantage as it seems to be less fireworks. We will probably head over to TOTWL at some point to watch. We have CG reservations too but I prefer watching from TOTWL.

We are DVC members as well..
I was just at BLT in a lake view room where I could see MK. Two of the nights I was there they did testing of the new show at 11:45pm and it looked to me like there were more fireworks and they were more colorful and the show seemed longer but maybe the "real" show isn't the same.

It was our first Tower Club experience as well. Just one person's opinion, but I didn't miss looking down over the Atrium AT ALL! Tower Club has perhaps spoiled me for life when it comes to CLs.

I posted a bunch of pics over on the CL thread, I can post the link if interested.
Please post picture link. Thanks.

No comment. :rolleyes1:rolleyes1

Seperately, do you keep up with the CL thread? I posted a bunch of pics from our recent Tower Club stay over there several weeks ago. You likely don't need them but feel free to grab any for page 1 purposes if helpful. I can find the link to my post if needed, just let me know. :-)

Thank you, @GADisneyDad14 for the offer of your recent Tower Club photos. I would love to use some of your photos. I also need to get around to updating the thread with some of my photos from...September :o

We'll be in a 2 bedroom at BLT 6/3-6/12. We used to switch up our resort every trip, but 6 trips ago we discovered the BLT villas and haven't looked back! :cloud9:

Always great sticking with what you love. I'll log your dates, @kmb584.

Thank you, @GADisneyDad14 for the offer of your recent Tower Club photos. I would love to use some of your photos. I also need to get around to updating the thread with some of my photos from...September :o.

Here's a link to the CL thread where I started posting, use whatever you need! Tower Club - April 2017

If I remember correctly, you didn't enjoy your Tower Club experience that much? Granted we only had two nights but we really enjoyed our brief time there. What a totally different room/CL experience than anywhere else.

Ok, I just got back and I have to say I was disappointed. If I had been anywhere other than Disney World I might have been happy, but not for a Disney trip. Disclaimer this was my first trip as an Adult and I can probably blame my agent more than anything else, but here are my complaints. In planning all I heard was staying on property made you feel engulfed by Disney, not once did I feel like this at the Contemporary. I felt like I was at a Hilton attached to a convention center.

Interesting. I tend to think of the Contemporary as Disney on steroids - you have a monorail going right through the middle of it - Chef Mickey's playing music seemingly all day & the elevators that have character voices that tell you what floor you're on! And the final straw? There's a castle view outside your window! Or a cheesy water electric parade on the other side :)

Maybe you don't get to experience all of that in the Garden Wing?

Looking to book a Lake view at Blt. I would prefer not to be in the inner circle. Is there a request I can make that avoids this or are all the Lake views inner circle rooms?

Looking to book a Lake view at Blt. I would prefer not to be in the inner circle. Is there a request I can make that avoids this or are all the Lake views inner circle rooms?

Request north tower even number room. This will put you on the outside with a partial view of the lake, bigger view of tennis courts and the ability to see fireworks over the castle at MK. We have been very lucky in past years with this request. Good luck !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter