DisneyMusicTrip - Day 2

stan

Mouseketeer
(sorry for the delay in the day 2 post)
The second day we started off early to go to the MusicAmerica competition (co-sponsored by Disney). This program is really good. The judges (all CalState Univ. faculty) listen to the band play two or three pieces, and then rate the band, and then they spend 15-20 minutes working and discussing items with the band, and giving suggestions and ideas for them. Our high school was "competing" with a Jr. High school (I say this as it was not really a competition, as you simply get rated along with whoever you are being judged with that day). Each school had four groups (our high school had a concert band, a wind ensemble, a percussion ensemble, and a jazz band), which alternated with each other in order to give time for rehearsal, so we weren't done until about 1:00.

At this point, we headed back to the hotel for quick pick-up of tickets for those who had forgotten them, and then off to Disneyland again. I had planned this to be my DL day, but I was worried that it would be really crowded as it was a Saturday near Spring Break time (it was indeed crowded).

As soon as we got to the park I rushed over to get a fastpass for Indiana Jones (for 2 hours later, already a 60-70 minute stand-by wait). At this point I noticed a 5 minute wait for Jungle Cruise (surprising since I have often had long waits for this previously as it loads so slowly) and got right on. I had missed this at my last couple of trips, so i was glad to get on it. A true classic with lots of fun, and they even updated a few of the jokes (although no gun shooting now - security I'm sure). After Jungle Cruise I walked around Tarzan's Treehouse (nice sketchbook effect), and then off to New Orleans Square.

In New Orleans Square I headed to the POC to see it had a 45 minute wait, but I said "what the heck" and tried to see if I could get a fastpass. I did get one, so I can only assume that you can get another one when your first one is so much later. I then walked back toward haunted Mantion (with another 45-50 minute wait) and said "do you think...." and sure enough I was able to get another fastpass. I was holding three FastPasses at the same time! I then pressed my luck trying to get one for Splash mountain, but alas, it said I would have to wait until 5:00 to get another FastPass.

So I spent some time looking at the POC paintings in the Disney Gallery, and had a nice lunch in New Orleans Square listening to a great Dixieland Jazz group, and watching the people (it was VERY crowded). It was then time to pull the passes. I went on POC (always a favorite, better in DL than in DW) and yo-ho'd my way down to the Haunted Mansion (another great one).

I still had time until my IJ fastpass, so I went to ToonTown and went on RogerRabbit (a 40 minute wait, but I couldn't get a new FastPass), watching a few of the afternoon parade floats on my way. After the CarToonSpin (a really fun ride - you can just spin it around or, as I do, spin it to help point yourself towards the parts you want to look at in more detail), it was time for Indiana Jones (a wonderful ride - one of my favorites) so it was back to Adventureland. Both IJ and CarToonSpin have wonderful waiting areas with lots of detail and fun.

After IJ (and brief mix-up down to MainStreet to meet the group - only to realize I didn't have to meet them for an hour) I went to TomorrowLand, where I watched the HISTA show (my favorite 3D movie, just beating out the Muppets and the Bugs) and Star Tours (another personal favorite of mine). While in line for Star Tours (only a 10 minute wait) I met a nice family with a darling daughter about 5 or 6 who was at Disneyland for her first time (it was the son's second time). And she was loving it. It was really fun to see that first magic moment in someone's eyes again.

Well, after a brief shopping stop it was time to meet the group for the "awards" ceremony. We met the Disney group coordinator who brought us in to DCA where we were to have the awards ceremony (in the Millionaire Studio). Both schools were excited but the awards were more flash than substance. As I said, it seems to be a competition only in the sense that you get compared to whatever other school groups you were put with that day. Given the fact that we were an excellent High School Band against a good Jr. High School, we were bound to win. The awards ceremony was pure glitz and Disney. They had a really good mixed acapella group sing and run the program and gave HUGE (but light and plastic) trophies for everything. Since the two schools overlapped in only one category, everyone got lots of big trophies. And, needless to say, we won the best group award, which was a nice Mickey Statue. And the Mickey statues were given out by none other than Mickey and Minnie themselves (in flashy tuxedo and dress outfits). Filled with lights and loud music, it certainly got the schools happy and excited (Disney at its smaltzschiest). So the awards ceremony was clearly as much Disney PR as it was talent recognition. But, it was a lot of fun.

Well, the director thought everyone was a bit tired, so he decided to call it a little earlier than planned, so I had just enough time to watch a couple of Electric Parade floats, and make it to DL for the evening fireworks. While Main Street and the castle area were PACKED (barely could move through at all), I headed on to FantasyLand. The Bobsleds were a long wait (ah well, there's always next time...) but I made it to the area around Small World which was EMPTY. If you are going on a crowded day, i highly recommend this spot. You get a beautiful view of the fireworks (going off over IASW instead of the castle) and lots of room to breathe and relax. Wonderful!

As the fireworks finished, I hopped aboard a boat to have "Small World" be my last DL ride for this trip (how can you not leave happy when all the children of the world are singing). I finished the ride, bought a few pins, and met the group for our ride back to the hotel.

After a quick trip to Santa Monica Beach the next morning we were back in Chicago, thinking about the next trip and taking the family again....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter