Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

The governor retweeted it yesterday since he discussed it in his news briefing. Different states have different mask requirements (if any) so it can be helpful for people traveling to CA to know what to expect.
Okay. I thought maybe there was a tweet from yesterday that was supposed to be linked and that was instead.

The governor retweeted it yesterday since he discussed it in his news briefing. Different states have different mask requirements (if any) so it can be helpful for people traveling to CA to know what to expect.
Does this include beaches? It’s not a dealbreaker, just curious.

We have an Airbnb booked for San Diego after Xmas and we are debating keeping it. I have till 12/13 to decide. I’m a teacher and they are asking students to quarantine 14 days if traveling over Thanksgiving (but not requiring it). The assumption is they will still be asking this over winter break too. I’m torn because we plan to drive, stay in the house, eat at the house, sit on the beach just us for two days and then drive home. So it doesn’t seem riskier than doing some things here locally. But... I’m also trying to do the “right” thing. Which CA is sending such mixed messages. They say only essential travel, but the Visit San Diego commercials are still running every 30 minutes!

We have an Airbnb booked for San Diego after Xmas and we are debating keeping it. I have till 12/13 to decide. I’m a teacher and they are asking students to quarantine 14 days if traveling over Thanksgiving (but not requiring it). The assumption is they will still be asking this over winter break too. I’m torn because we plan to drive, stay in the house, eat at the house, sit on the beach just us for two days and then drive home. So it doesn’t seem riskier than doing some things here locally. But... I’m also trying to do the “right” thing. Which CA is sending such mixed messages. They say only essential travel, but the Visit San Diego commercials are still running every 30 minutes!
Not sure how the beaches are in San Diego. In LA where I am, in the parking lots and walkways people wear masks. Once on the sand and you are 6 feet from others, mask isn't needed. Obviously in the water you don't need one. I would check the San Diego county website though. Smaller cities within counties sometimes have their own rules with masks.

Not sure how the beaches are in San Diego. In LA where I am, in the parking lots and walkways people wear masks. Once on the sand and you are 6 feet from others, mask isn't needed. Obviously in the water you don't need one. I would check the San Diego county website though. Smaller cities within counties sometimes have their own rules with masks.

I believe in LA county, masks are required on the beach except while eating, drinking, or in the water, or if you have a medical exemption.

"Everyone who visits the beaches must wear a face covering at all times (except while eating or drinking, or while in the water). This applies to all adults and to children 2 years of age and older. Those between the ages of 2 and 8 should use them under adult supervision to ensure that the child can breathe safely and to avoid choking or suffocation. Only individuals who have been instructed not to wear a face covering by their medical provider are exempt from wearing one. "

Source: http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/docs/protocols/Reopening_Beaches.pdf

The San Diego requirements seem less clear, but it seems like they don't require masks if you are 6 feet apart from others.

"When they're not required
Face coverings are not required:
  • At home.
  • In the car alone or with members of your household.
  • For children under 2 years old, because of the risk of suffocation.
  • Swimming, walking, hiking, bicycling or running by yourself or with household members.
    You should have a face covering ready and wear it if you come within six feet of other people.
  • For residents with a health condition that prevents wearing a mask."

Source: https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/cont...epidemiology/dc/2019-nCoV/face-coverings.html
I'm unsure if this information is up to date though. It would be nice if these guidelines were more clear and up to date honestly. I mean, the San Diego website says "Coronavirus Disease 2019" so who knows who is maintaining that thing, lol

Edit to add:

The state mandate seems to allow for no face mask outdoors as long as you are 6 feet away from others

"Individuals are exempt from wearing face coverings in the following specific settings:
  • Persons in a car alone or solely with members of their own household.
  • Persons who are working in an office or in a room alone.
  • Persons who are actively eating or drinking provided that they are able to maintain a distance of at least six feet away from persons who are not members of the same household or residence.
  • Persons who are outdoors and maintaining at least 6 feet of social distancing from others not in their household. Such persons must have a face covering with them at all times and must put it on if they are within 6 feet of others who are not in their household.
  • Persons who are obtaining a service involving the nose or face for which temporary removal of the face covering is necessary to perform the service.
  • Workers who are required to wear respiratory protection.
  • Persons who are specifically exempted from wearing face coverings by other CDPH guidance."

Source:
https://covid19.ca.gov/masks-and-ppe/

I believe in LA county, masks are required on the beach except while eating, drinking, or in the water, or if you have a medical exemption.

"Everyone who visits the beaches must wear a face covering at all times (except while eating or drinking, or while in the water). This applies to all adults and to children 2 years of age and older. Those between the ages of 2 and 8 should use them under adult supervision to ensure that the child can breathe safely and to avoid choking or suffocation. Only individuals who have been instructed not to wear a face covering by their medical provider are exempt from wearing one. "

Source: http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/docs/protocols/Reopening_Beaches.pdf

The San Diego requirements seem less clear, but it seems like they don't require masks if you are 6 feet apart from others.

"When they're not required
Face coverings are not required:
  • At home.
  • In the car alone or with members of your household.
  • For children under 2 years old, because of the risk of suffocation.
  • Swimming, walking, hiking, bicycling or running by yourself or with household members.
    You should have a face covering ready and wear it if you come within six feet of other people.
  • For residents with a health condition that prevents wearing a mask."

Source: https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/cont...epidemiology/dc/2019-nCoV/face-coverings.html
I'm unsure if this information is up to date though. It would be nice if these guidelines were more clear and up to date honestly. I mean, the San Diego website says "Coronavirus Disease 2019" so who knows who is maintaining that thing, lol

Edit to add:

The state mandate seems to allow for no face mask outdoors as long as you are 6 feet away from others

"Individuals are exempt from wearing face coverings in the following specific settings:
  • Persons in a car alone or solely with members of their own household.
  • Persons who are working in an office or in a room alone.
  • Persons who are actively eating or drinking provided that they are able to maintain a distance of at least six feet away from persons who are not members of the same household or residence.
  • Persons who are outdoors and maintaining at least 6 feet of social distancing from others not in their household. Such persons must have a face covering with them at all times and must put it on if they are within 6 feet of others who are not in their household.
  • Persons who are obtaining a service involving the nose or face for which temporary removal of the face covering is necessary to perform the service.
  • Workers who are required to wear respiratory protection.
  • Persons who are specifically exempted from wearing face coverings by other CDPH guidance."

Source:
https://covid19.ca.gov/masks-and-ppe/
Interesting. I've never seen those rules enforced then lol. I went to the beach multiple times this summer too. And the sheriff would drive through the area on the sand and never cited or told people to put masks on.

But yes! Read the rules for sure. As you can tell, they vary from county to county. I would also always keep one with you just in case.

Does this include beaches? It’s not a dealbreaker, just curious...
PP have given you good advice. Basically, because there are so many counties that make up driving-distance-Southern-CA (L.A., OC, SD, San Bernardino, Riverside, Ventura, Santa Barbara -- you could hit 'em all in a day! -- and who can keep track of all the regulations and all the changes?), we just keep a bag of clean masks in the car, in each backpack/briefcase/totebag/etc., and in my purse so that we're prepared no matter where we go or where we stop. Can't hurt to be prepared, right?

ETA: Some clarification on the new mask regulations --
As of 11/16/20:
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/guidance-for-face-coverings.aspx
https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-masks-now-required-public-020140482.html

It's actually easy to maintain the 6 ft apart distance that doesn't require a mask. It's much more difficult when walking on a trail or sidewalk. I've been wearing a mask whenever I'm outside, but if I can't see people on the sidewalk or trail, I dangle it off my ear so I can breathe. As soon as I see someone, I put it back on - well before coming within 6 ft. This is what I've been doing for months. It's news to me that the mask requirement is a new thing. Perhaps, San Diego has just been more strict than the state at large.

It will be hard to predict if you should keep the trip. What you are saying that you want to do is reasonable and should be easy, but back in March, we weren't allowed at the beach or public hiking trails for a period of time. While I don't think it will go back to that, there's no guarantee. And the bigger issue with that is for example, the city of San Diego can close their beaches and then everyone will flock to the other beaches like Oceanside and next thing you know, there's no way to keep the crowds down. Personally, based on what you plan on doing, if it were me, I'd plan on going. Since you have until 12/13 to cancel, wait it out if you can to see what happens. I keep thinking I'll go to a drive to weekend getaway and then I decide that it's not worth the hassle of not knowing what will be open, etc. I guess you need to think if you'd still have a good time if everything was closed.

Not sure if you are staying in the city of San Diego or another city in the county, but mask wearing is not enforced in the city. I am at the beach twice a week for my daughter’s surf team, and very few people wear masks at the beach. We put our masks on before we leave the car because the sidewalks are tight walking down to the water. And then she takes her mask off when she’s about to go out to the water and I take mine off when I sit down. Sometimes I will go on a walk or run while she is at practice, so I’ve hooked a glasses chain onto my mask so it’s easily accessible to put on when I am passing people.

It is highly unlikely that San Diego will close its beaches again. But while the beaches may be open, the beach parking lots may be closed. If you’re AirBnB is not walkable to the beach, it will be very difficult to find parking to access it. This is something I would watch out for. But other than that, once on the beach, you will have no problem distancing yourself far enough away from other people to take your mask off.

I stopped coming on here because of how sad the new guidance was but today on FB another site just posted a sneak peak inside Buena Vista street and I literally started crying. Was not expecting to cry, but with the sights and the Christmas music playing I couldn't help it. Ugh, I just want to go back soooo bad!

Thanks for all the advice! Yes it’s SD proper, one house back from the beach with a parking spot- so we should be good there! Decisions decisions! I’m leaning towards cancelling but really would like to go. I’ll wait a bit to decide!

Those now show an expiration date of January 2022, whereas last week, they had an expiration date of January 2021.
My tickets are showing on the app again, but I still don't see an expiration date? Can you share where you are seeing the expiration?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter