Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier?

DLH. Grounds are nice, rooms are Disney themed. Our kids love the light up headboards, the pool is fantastic. Frontier tower is not that far, everyone makes it sound like it’s an uphill trek both ways. It’s roughly 10-12 mins to the front gates. Or, exit out the back of the tower, walk down paradise Dr, cross at the light and enter through the paradise pier gate, or walk a little further and enter through grand Californian. Or take the monorail! We walked back one night from the monorail station (when it was down) to the frontier tower and it was 17 mins. There’s something magical and classic Disney at the DLH. It doesn’t matter to everyone, but we love it.

Regardless of which hotel, I would do early entry one day at California Adventure. The park is slower to fill than Disneyland. We recently got in everything at the pier, Ariel, Maters, Luigi’s, Guardians, Spider-Man, and Soarin all by 10am. Grab early lunch around 11, then head back to DLH for pool time. Then a short nap, and back into the park in the evening.

I've stayed at all three on site Disney hotels at Disneyland, and many at WDW, and I can say Paradise Pier is the ONLY Disney Hotel I would never stay at again. One reason, and one reason only. The elevator system of DOOM.
I heard many people complain about the elevators, and that was part of the reason why we chose DLH over PPH for our upcoming trip. I hope they improve the system as part of the renovations.

I just don't get the complaints about the PPH elevators. I've waited longer for elevators in the DLH towers than I ever have at the PPH. Maybe people simply don't understand how to use the "type in your floor number" system?

I just don't get the complaints about the PPH elevators. I've waited longer for elevators in the DLH towers than I ever have at the PPH. Maybe people simply don't understand how to use the "type in your floor number" system?
As a disclaimer, I've never stayed in PPH, but the complaints I read are that it's not a lack of understanding about how to use the elevators. People just say that at certain times in the morning it can be a long wait.

My biggest complaint is the elevators. I know how to do the floor number. My issue is being on an ECV, I need to stay back so people can exit the elevator. Then people boarding the elevator push past me or block me from entering, even those who haven't put in a number and end up coming back down. It can take 2-3 tries to get on an elevator. Or for everyone, if you are on a lower floor, and you are trying to go to the ground floor in the morning, while you push the number, they elevator shows up full, and you do it all over again. I haven't had this issue at the DLH.

I am completely aware of how they work, but we waited 20 minutes for one regularly, and perhaps partly due to the long waits were on one that was so overloaded I was smashed against the back wall and my husband had to surround me with his arms like he was doing a push up on the elevator wall to stop me from being crushed.

We also saw a dear lady with an ECV who hadn't managed to get it turned around or backed out at her floor and was crying, literally crying, and said she had been riding from floor to floor for an HOUR. We held the door for her physically so she could manage to get out at the lobby and start over.

Last edited:

Reviving this thread with these updates from the hotel’s website (which it says was updated 8/4/23).

I am asking because we are going over a weekend in October. We always stay at the GCH unless it is booked, then we stay at DLH (but don’t like the walk; prefer the theming at GCH). Prices are around $1000 for GCH (pool view is all that is available), $750-850 for the DLH or VDLH and around $459 for standard view at PP. We will be in the parks almost the entire time. We are only bringing DD16 this time since DD18 can’t get away from college that weekend. Probably won’t do the pools at all due to OBB and the fact that it is such a short weekend. We love DCA and tend to spend more time there than DL (so could take advantage of the new PP DCA entrance). At this point, we are either going to keep our GCH reservation or change to PP (I don’t want to spend that much on DLH, and I don’t want to stay off-site; unable to risk the lack of cancellation with renting points). I am wondering if the rooms at PP have been renovated yet or just the hotel (was not sure of timing of room re-do; photos of rooms look like they have not been updated)? Any changes to the elevator system so far? What is the best way to get to the DL gates from PP? Thank you!

Latest Updates:

• On August 1, the Pixel Pool, Crush's Surfin' Slide and Nemo's Cove Splash Pad at Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel reopened to Guests. Guests can also book cabanas, daybeds and pods on the pool deck for an additional fee (subject to availability). The play court and pool bar will open at a later date. Learn more about poolside cabanas at the Disneyland Resort.
  • Fireworks viewing has returned! On select nights, Guests can watch the Disneyland Park fireworks and listen to a live, synchronized broadcast of the stirring soundtrack from the third-floor pool deck.
  • Elements of Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel’s main lobby and surrounding common areas are now open to Guests. Guests are advised to drop off members of their party and luggage at the front lobby before parking in the hotel’s structure.
  • The Hotel Gift Shop, located near the main lobby, will be open from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM daily.
  • Hotel amenities—including the direct entrance for hotel Guests into Disney California Adventure Park—will continue to remain open.
  • A self-serve market with food and beverage options is available in the vending room near the lobby area. Guests will also have access to dining at the other Disneyland Resort hotels—Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa and the Disneyland Hotel.
  • A 24-hour ATM is located in the main lobby outside the Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel Store.
  • Guest laundry facilities are currently unavailable, but Guests staying at the hotel can access the laundry facilities at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa.
  • The Fitness Center at Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel is currently unavailable. Guests staying at the hotel can use the Fitness Centers at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa and the Disneyland Hotel.

...I am wondering if the rooms at PP have been renovated yet or just the hotel (was not sure of timing of room re-do; photos of rooms look like they have not been updated)?
A large temporary construction elevator has been installed at the south end of the hotel, which likely means (at least) furniture is being replaced. Guest rooms could use a full renovation, but it's unclear how extensive the current renovations will be. The GCH renovation replaced everything inside the rooms: new counters and tile, even closets.

Where do you usually stay at WDW? That could influence recommendations. With only 2 park days and the fact that you are enroute to Hawaii I am assuming the pools are not necessarily the priority. That said, the light up headboard seriously wins me over to the DLH every. Single. Time. It’s like the Poly meets the Contemporary in styling as a comparison.

A large temporary construction elevator has been installed at the south end of the hotel, which likely means (at least) furniture is being replaced. Guest rooms could use a full renovation, but it's unclear how extensive the current renovations will be. The GCH renovation replaced everything inside the rooms: new counters and tile, even closets.
Thank you for this info, @Nonsuch . I think the hotel is open currently, so if they are renovating the rooms while open, are some areas of rooms just closed off right now? I am trying to determine if/when the rooms might be refreshed? And again, I wonder if the elevators have been improved at all with the refurb?

Thank you for this info, @Nonsuch . I think the hotel is open currently, so if they are renovating the rooms while open, are some areas of rooms just closed off right now? I am trying to determine if/when the rooms might be refreshed? And again, I wonder if the elevators have been improved at all with the refurb?
I recently watched a construction update video on youtube (that I think was posted about 12 days ago if you want to find it) which showed entire hallways of certain floors blocked out, with a door hidden behind a black curtain for necessary entry. On what I believe was the 12th floor that the poster showed, it was the right side of the hallway that was closed off, with the left side still being open. In the video he also showed entire floors not being able to be accessed via the pad that you choose your floor on, and I believe it simply said “invalid floor” or something along those lines.

I recently watched a construction update video on youtube (that I think was posted about 12 days ago if you want to find it) which showed entire hallways of certain floors blocked out, with a door hidden behind a black curtain for necessary entry. On what I believe was the 12th floor that the poster showed, it was the right side of the hallway that was closed off, with the left side still being open. In the video he also showed entire floors not being able to be accessed via the pad that you choose your floor on, and I believe it simply said “invalid floor” or something along those lines.
Thank you for this! I will look on you tube and try to find it. Exactly what I was wondering!

DLH. Grounds are nice, rooms are Disney themed. Our kids love the light up headboards, the pool is fantastic. Frontier tower is not that far, everyone makes it sound like it’s an uphill trek both ways. It’s roughly 10-12 mins to the front gates. Or, exit out the back of the tower, walk down paradise Dr, cross at the light and enter through the paradise pier gate, or walk a little further and enter through grand Californian. Or take the monorail! We walked back one night from the monorail station (when it was down) to the frontier tower and it was 17 mins. There’s something magical and classic Disney at the DLH. It doesn’t matter to everyone, but we love it.

Regardless of which hotel, I would do early entry one day at California Adventure. The park is slower to fill than Disneyland. We recently got in everything at the pier, Ariel, Maters, Luigi’s, Guardians, Spider-Man, and Soarin all by 10am. Grab early lunch around 11, then head back to DLH for pool time. Then a short nap, and back into the park in the evening.
Replying to an old post to say thanks to the OP! I agree that some of the discussion about the distance of DLH is overblown. My family does not care for the theming of the GCH - that's purely subjective but it's just not our taste for a Disney hotel. I also find when leaving DL park, that the walk to the GCH entrance by Sephora seems long enough where I always think, why not just walk a little further and go to the DLH where we prefer the theming? We stayed at the GCH earlier this year, after changing an original reservation from the DLH, and we regretted it. The GCH was fine, but just not our preference (even with the proximity of GCH and having 2 very young kids).

Again, just our opinions and everyone certainly is entitled to their own valid feelings as well!

Replying to an old post to say thanks to the OP! I agree that some of the discussion about the distance of DLH is overblown. My family does not care for the theming of the GCH - that's purely subjective but it's just not our taste for a Disney hotel. I also find when leaving DL park, that the walk to the GCH entrance by Sephora seems long enough where I always think, why not just walk a little further and go to the DLH where we prefer the theming? We stayed at the GCH earlier this year, after changing an original reservation from the DLH, and we regretted it. The GCH was fine, but just not our preference (even with the proximity of GCH and having 2 very young kids).

Again, just our opinions and everyone certainly is entitled to their own valid feelings as well!
Just wanted to say I totally agree. I spent way too much time trying to find the love for the Grand. My daughter finally said "Mom, we aren't going to find it, we love the DLH."

Just wait for a whole new DVC tower to open that has 334 new rooms holding another 1000 people without the addition of a new check-in lobby or new dining options and then tell me how much better DLH is than GC 🤣

The new DVC pool area doesn’t have a water slide… I wonder what is going to happen to the lines for the Monorail slide for kids?

Used to being able to waitlist Trader Sam’s…. It’s going to get a LOT harder. Especially with all of the WDW based people traveling out who want to experience the original.

Prefer to self-park? Are they building any more parking spaces? You think this might have an impact on the wait time for car valet or bell service?

For the vast majority of the population (not everyone): The Grand > DL Hotel > Pixar Pier and that will likely be more true after the new tower opens in late September 2023. The prices of the rooms reflect this.

Just wait for a whole new DVC tower to open that has 334 new rooms holding another 1000 people without the addition of a new check-in lobby or new dining options and then tell me how much better DLH is than GC 🤣

The new DVC pool area doesn’t have a water slide… I wonder what is going to happen to the lines for the Monorail slide for kids?

Used to being able to waitlist Trader Sam’s…. It’s going to get a LOT harder. Especially with all of the WDW based people traveling out who want to experience the original.

Prefer to self-park? Are they building any more parking spaces? You think this might have an impact on the wait time for car valet or bell service?

For the vast majority of the population (not everyone): The Grand > DL Hotel > Pixar Pier and that will likely be more true after the new tower opens in late September 2023. The prices of the rooms reflect this.
My post and others made clear that we expressed our personal subjective opinions and acknowledged that others will disagree.

You make valid points and clearly have a different opinion - great! There's different options for each of us!

The new issues with DVC and DLH resources still don't change the fact that some people like different theming than other people.

Enjoy GCH!

Last edited:
My post and others made clear that we expressed our personal subjective opinions and acknowledged that others will disagree.

You make valid points and clearly have a different opinion - great! There's different options for each of us!

The new issues with DVC and DLH resources still don't change the fact that some people like different theming than other people.

Enjoy GCH!
I am not trying to discount your opinion, but stating things that I believe travelers who have never been to Disneyland should take into account when deciding which property to stay at if they are traveling in 2024+ (per OP).

Everyone’s experience at the DL Hotel to this point has been prior to having an additional 1000 people on property and it is my hypothesis that the experience will be different.

Let me say some things that I like about the Disneyland Hotel:

1) The hotel room sizes
2) Trader Sam’s is magical (if you can get in). I have a collection of tiki mugs and tasting glass in my house that I collect from here.
3) The magical headboard
4) The “Walt” theming
5) The stroll through DTD to the parks
6) The high floor park facing rooms with firework views
7) The club lounge
8) The themed suites
9) How it can be quiet once you pass the security gates outside of DTD

I am not trying to discount your opinion, but stating things that I believe travelers who have never been to Disneyland should take into account when deciding which property to stay at if they are traveling in 2024+ (per OP).

Everyone’s experience at the DL Hotel to this point has been prior to having an additional 1000 people on property and it is my hypothesis that the experience will be different.

Let me say some things that I like about the Disneyland Hotel:

1) The hotel room sizes
2) Trader Sam’s is magical (if you can get in). I have a collection of tiki mugs and tasting glass in my house that I collect from here.
3) The magical headboard
4) The “Walt” theming
5) The stroll through DTD to the parks
6) The high floor park facing rooms with firework views
7) The club lounge
8) The themed suites
9) How it can be quiet once you pass the security gates outside of DTD
Thanks for sharing! All of the thoughts you shared about DLH and the DVC tower are surely shared by many of us. They are adding lots of additional people without meaningfully enhancing infrastructure to handle the surge in capacity. Limited additional staffing, limited additional pool capacity, limited additional dining.

Let's hope it ends up being less bad than expected. Let's also hope Disney takes measures over time to remedy the issues. One easier option would be to fully reopen Steakhouse 55.

Frankly, I moved an upcoming DLH stay to offsite for two reasons: 1) Uncertainty about the impact of DVC; and 2) Reduction in value of early entry. I share in many of the concerns others have expressed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!