Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier?

twinz

I agree with getting my WDW fix
My twin sister and I are taking out kids to Hawaii early 2024. Since we are coming from Toronto 🇨🇦 we were thinking of doing a 3 night stay at Disneyland (with 2 park days - one day at each park) on our way to Hawaii. Give me the good and the bad about the Disneyland hotel compared to Paradise Pier. We’re up in the air as to where to stay. The kids will be 4, 4 and 9 and we have been to WDW quite a bit. This will be their first time at DL (our second). Thanks 😁

If you are interested at spending more time in DCA, I would go with PP, it’s just so easy to turn right and go into that entrance and find yourself far away from the DL gate! The DLH could be a bit of a trek if staying at the Frontier Tower, but if you’re looking for a more resort experience over just a hotel, currently, I’d go with DLH

DLH - early entry. That's literally it.

PPH - bigger rooms, shorter walk, friendlier cast members, will be newly refurbished etc...

There really is no comparison.
Ha ha...I see what you did there. There is something to both. PPH is less expensive. It doesn't presently have a restaurant while DLH has several plus is adjacent to Downtown Disney with its shopping and restaurants. DLH is closer to the Monorail.

PPH has its good points, but what I dislike more than anything else about it is that it has no grounds. None. You've got a street with a signal & parking lots. If you don't plan to spend any time at the hotel, I guess that's not a big deal, but I love the beautiful landscaped grounds at the other two Disney properties. PPH is really just a hotel; I stayed in it years ago when it was not a Disney property and was called the Pan Pacific. DLH (and GCH) are resort hotels so if you want the resort vibe, PPH is not a great option. But you're going to Hawaii, so....

DLH hands down. Especially with young kids, the pool is great for them. You also can't beat the theming in the rooms, its like you've never left the parks. And the grounds really are beautiful, especially at night when you see the tiki torches turned on outside of Trader Sam's. To me you get the true Disney bubble experience there.

DLH hands down. Especially with young kids, the pool is great for them. You also can't beat the theming in the rooms, its like you've never left the parks. And the grounds really are beautiful, especially at night when you see the tiki torches turned on outside of Trader Sam's. To me you get the true Disney bubble experience there.
I agree that currently the pool at DLH is far superior for kids but looking at pictures there is going to be a new splash pad at PPH that opens sometime this summer that looks to be very fun. Probably aimed at younger kids but depending on the water comfort level of the 4 year olds that might be a plus for them though the 9 year old will I am sure prefer the slides at DLH but there will be 1 slide at PPH too. Just something to think about and something I am also having to think about since I am planning to go in September with an almost 4 year old and an almost 2 year old who are the ideal age for a splash pad but also the magical age where the light up headboard in DLH is going to be the best thing ever.

I agree that currently the pool at DLH is far superior for kids but looking at pictures there is going to be a new splash pad at PPH that opens sometime this summer that looks to be very fun. Probably aimed at younger kids but depending on the water comfort level of the 4 year olds that might be a plus for them though the 9 year old will I am sure prefer the slides at DLH but there will be 1 slide at PPH too. Just something to think about and something I am also having to think about since I am planning to go in September with an almost 4 year old and an almost 2 year old who are the ideal age for a splash pad but also the magical age where the light up headboard in DLH is going to be the best thing ever.
My friend took a video of me with the light up headboard behind me playing. So I forever get to keep that memory! I haven't kept up with the construction at PP hotel. When I stayed years ago there, I was in a club level cabana room, which essentially meant I was on the same floor as the pool and it was literally outside my sliding door. I do remember the pool being a bit small, not much deck space.

DLH pool area also has a shallow splash pad with a baby slide. When my son was 3 he played there for hours and hours.

38D3AB7E-41A1-482D-81F2-595963E9CB3B.jpeg7D5618AF-6FFB-4CDD-B97C-B90EC5F27C2A.jpeg

DLH pool area also has a shallow splash pad with a baby slide. When my son was 3 he played there for hours and hours.

View attachment 764777

View attachment 764778
My daughter, 5-year-old grandson and I stayed at DLH last Nov. My grandson LOVED the splash pool area!! We went in the evening (dd and I wanted to sit in the spa!) so the slides were closed but it was wonderful!! There were very few people out, and the squares on the pool bottom (you can see them in the pictures above) light up at night and change color! We absolutely loved it. I'll have to look and see if I have a picture.

We were deciding between PPH and DLH for our upcoming trip in July, and given the current state of construction for the re-theme, it was pretty easy to choose DLH over PPH. But in early 2024, I imagine they will have made a lot more progress at PPH which might make the decision a little tougher. Our family would be much more excited to stay in a Pixar-themed hotel than DLH, because our kids have a much stronger connection to those movies. For the same reason, we actually prefer DCA a little more than Disneyland. But given the ages of your kids, and the number of attractions in DL vs DCA, staying at DLH and being closer to DL might be more convenient.

Thank you for posting this. We are considering these two for our trip next summer. Are they renovating the rooms at PPH, too, or just the pool and other common areas?

Thank you for posting this. We are considering these two for our trip next summer. Are they renovating the rooms at PPH, too, or just the pool and other common areas?
They will renovate the rooms, too, but I don't know what the official re-opening date is. Definitely looking forward to it.

Paradise/Pixar - early entry. That's literally it.

DL Hotel - amazing grounds, magical atmosphere, cool headboards in the rooms, nicer pool, closer walk etc....

There really is no comparison.
To the OP -

We really can't compare, because it is being refurbished and will reopen later this year as Pixar Pier Hotel.

I like the Paradise Pier. Rooms are really large, and great for space.

But so are the rooms at the DLH. Kids will love the slides and pool area better at DLH. All the Mickey touches thru out the hotel are so fun.

Of the 3 hotels, DLH is my fav. But PPH is nice also, and for the price difference, it can be better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter