Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

WAFDL: I haven't been to Disney since they instituted Genie so I'm a bit lost, but as a DINK I'll probably pay for whatever gets us into rides the fastest...

I'm on a really wacked out sleeping schedule tonight, as I got up Monday at 7 pm, and I haven't been to sleep, since. YAY sleep dep! I think the conversion to DST really knocked me for a loop! So I'm posting it tonight, though it's not yet Wednesday in the entire country, but close enough!

This question comes from @sandam1

WAFDL: When touring the parks on a race weekend, do you purchase G+ or ILL, or are you totally standby? What have you done in WDW, if you've been there, and what do you plan at DL?

As for me, I'm a mix of pay-to-play and DAS. I worked in queue theory in one of my last jobs, and I worked some of what I learned into not standing in line at Disney. I just want to get to my rides, and get out, so I can eat and sleep. Since there are many more rides, especially in Disneyland Park, that don't have G+/ILL, it's only a standby line, the math will get a little more complicated.
For my MW trip last year I bought four ILLs: Rise (twice), Mine Train, and Flight of Passage. In the case of Rise I absolutely wanted to do it, wanted to avoid problems with the ride breaking down (which it did the second time, just before we were scheduled). In the latter two, my parents were joining me and we’ve discovered that they just can’t do hour plus lines anymore. I had never done either so it was a chance to knock them both out easily.

Not sure how i’ll handle DL, if i do go there. It’s looking like a short trip where my only opportunity might be Saturday. I haven’t used their max pass in past visits so I can prob live without passes if I go again. I’m curious to see if there’s any impact on G+ usage from a whole lot of travelers coming in that weekend.

If anyone is curious, as of now the booking window for cash rooms at the new VDH only goes through the end of 2023. I asked if they might be extending it to include January (was hoping to book for half marathon weekend), but the CM from DVC Member Services wasn't sure.

Not sure if this will be different for magic key holders or when they release to the general public, either.

WAFDL: my last 2 trips I've gotten G+ and ILL since it's just my boyfriend and I (I have no kids). One of my proudest moments was managing to get ILLs for Guardians while literally running during the WDW 1/2 this past Jan, while my bf failed to get us slots in the VQ b/c they filled up in seconds, lol.

I'll def get it for DL, especially if it includes photopass (I had not realized that until this thread), since it's only my 2nd time there, the bf's 1st, and I'm an infrequent traveler to DL (I live in NY so WDW is my home!)

Oof.

For interested DVC parties, I checked what the cash prices for what I assume would be a similar interest level weekend at VDH.

Averaged to $644/night in a standard view Duo, $857/night in a standard view studio.

I have the feeling the points chart will be obscene.

WAFDL: I used ILL once for Ratatouille last January, totally worth it. My cousin and I were at Princess this year and had I known the VQ would've still been an hour, I would've done ILL for that one too. This was the first time ever I've done VQs and I won't do them again.

I will probably buy Genie+ at DL since it includes Photopass. I can get away with not using Genie+ at some parks, but DL has so many rides, and I don't know what it'll look like on a holiday weekend. Like how many locals still attend even when it's a race weekend?

Last edited:

WAFDL: my last 2 trips I've gotten G+ and ILL since it's just my boyfriend and I (I have no kids). One of my proudest moments was managing to get ILLs for Guardians while literally running during the WDW 1/2 this past Jan, while my bf failed to get us slots in the VQ b/c they filled up in seconds, lol.

I'll def get it for DL, especially if it includes photopass (I had not realized that until this thread), since it's only my 2nd time there, the bf's 1st, and I'm an infrequent traveler to DL (I live in NY so WDW is my home!)
Just an FYI, G+ now includes photopass for ride photos at WDW too. Doesn't include all pics like DL though.

WAFDL: So my son qualifies for DAS, so we used LL for Guardians and ROR when we went during Thanksgiving and then DAS for everything else. Then when I went marathon weekend with just me and my mom we just did LL for Guardians again no DAS but Epoct lines were so short so we did not need to buy Genie plus.

I will be buying Genie plus for the photopass for DL just for me. My son will be with us so we will be DAS and will just use that since it is easier for all of to be on the same system. I love the DL at least includes photopass.

WAFDL: Depends on the day. If the parks are busy and I want to hit more rides I'll pony up the 20 bucks for the Genie Plus. If its a slow day and only a few of them have long lines I'll just stick to DAS. At least at DL.

WDW I am out less frequently so I'm more likely to shell the money for GeniePlus

It also should be noted I have a Magic Key. So I don't need to get Photopass.

WAFDL: When touring the parks on a race weekend, do you purchase G+ or ILL, or are you totally standby? What have you done in WDW, if you've been there, and what do you plan at DL?

Since I asked the question, I suppose I'd better answer it.

I haven't done Disney during any race weekend yet (I'm a Universal girl) so I don't have any experience with any of these systems. That being said, my inclination for DL, right now, is to buy G+ - at least for some of our days - and to try to skip ILL. The one ILL that I might break down and buy is Rise of the Resistance since this will be my first experience with the Star Wars Land.

I'm curious whether the race photos will be included in the Photo Pass that comes with G+. If so, that would definitely tip me to buying G+.

I'm curious whether the race photos will be included in the Photo Pass that comes with G+. If so, that would definitely tip me to buying G+.
I can’t imagine that they wouldn’t be, since it includes all PhotoPass photos taken during the timeframe of the ticket

Just an FYI, G+ now includes photopass for ride photos at WDW too. Doesn't include all pics like DL though.
I just googled this and the articles are saying, "in the next few months", but of course that announcement was made on the day we flew home from WDW in Jan, lol.

Good to know for next time at least, whenever that will be!

My reading of this was that it really only includes things like ride photos taken at the attractions, so I'm thinking it race photos won't be included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter