Disneyland Construction Photos (2/20-2/21)

Thanks for these, Tom! Please keep them coming! We're hoping to go to DLR this summer at some point. Do you know when WOC is set to open?

Thanks for these, Tom! Please keep them coming! We're hoping to go to DLR this summer at some point. Do you know when WOC is set to open?

Initially it was gonna be April, but I think it's been pushed into May with all the rain delays they've had recently.

This summer should be safe. ;)

New doors on parking lot trams
24047_1270334993319_1078190639_30668479_278611_n.jpg

24047_1270335033320_1078190639_30668480_3331538_n.jpg

I don't like these doors, it looks like it will make it a lot more difficult for those that have had slight trouble in getting on and off the trams before, i.e. those with limited mobility, that may not need a wheelchair. I am afraid that this will result in more people using the wheelchair ramp that don't need to, which will make a longer line for the wheel chairs (unless they have added even more wheel chair shuttles).

In addition, who opens and shuts the doors? Since it appears that the doors are not automatic, I assume that either the guests or a CM has to, but they keep so few CMs on hand at the tram loading and unloading areas these days that it is impractical to expect them to open and shut them all before guests just go and do it themselves (or at least try to).

I can see these causing a backup for the trams, especially at night when there are already huge lines for the trams filled with tired people. I can also see guests who don't want anyone sitting next to them closing the doors behind them when they get on the trams, again causing more delays to either reopen the door or by the trams not being filled to capacity. I have seen 30+ minute waits on a regular basis here lately (not that I would wait in that, i would sooner go and sit on a bench till it dies down, which it will do eventually, I have learned not to leave right after fireworks, parades, shows, etc. But I am guessing that this may increase it to a 60+ minute wait and the waits won't be able to die down as quickly as they used to.

Oh well, I am going a week from tomorrow and I guess I can see how these work or don't work for myself, as I doubt any lot besides Mickey & Friends will be open on a Tuesday night, I try to avoid the parking structure whenever I can these days, it is a long walk to the far back corner that they always seem to want to park me in and then lately 1/2 of the lights are turned off or burned out causing a safety issue, add to that the tram issues that may arise from this and I can see that the structure is not where you want to be parked if at all avoidable.

Ok, that's my rant and I truly hope that I am proven wrong somehow, but I doubt it.

can't wait til 2012....yes it says 2012....that's when we are planning our trip to California and can't wait to see the new stuff at both parks:woohoo:

I don't like these doors, it looks like it will make it a lot more difficult for those that have had slight trouble in getting on and off the trams before, i.e. those with limited mobility, that may not need a wheelchair. I am afraid that this will result in more people using the wheelchair ramp that don't need to, which will make a longer line for the wheel chairs (unless they have added even more wheel chair shuttles).

In addition, who opens and shuts the doors? Since it appears that the doors are not automatic, I assume that either the guests or a CM has to, but they keep so few CMs on hand at the tram loading and unloading areas these days that it is impractical to expect them to open and shut them all before guests just go and do it themselves (or at least try to).

I can see these causing a backup for the trams, especially at night when there are already huge lines for the trams filled with tired people. I can also see guests who don't want anyone sitting next to them closing the doors behind them when they get on the trams, again causing more delays to either reopen the door or by the trams not being filled to capacity. I have seen 30+ minute waits on a regular basis here lately (not that I would wait in that, i would sooner go and sit on a bench till it dies down, which it will do eventually, I have learned not to leave right after fireworks, parades, shows, etc. But I am guessing that this may increase it to a 60+ minute wait and the waits won't be able to die down as quickly as they used to.

Oh well, I am going a week from tomorrow and I guess I can see how these work or don't work for myself, as I doubt any lot besides Mickey & Friends will be open on a Tuesday night, I try to avoid the parking structure whenever I can these days, it is a long walk to the far back corner that they always seem to want to park me in and then lately 1/2 of the lights are turned off or burned out causing a safety issue, add to that the tram issues that may arise from this and I can see that the structure is not where you want to be parked if at all avoidable.

Ok, that's my rant and I truly hope that I am proven wrong somehow, but I doubt it.

Some very valid concerns.

We walked by them and I knew they were new, so I took a quick picture, but I haven't seen them in action yet. I just talked to DL Correspondent Nancy Johnson...they rode the tram from the Mickey & Friends structure yesterday and it was still the old trams.

These trams were parked where the drop off for the Lion King parking (soon to be Carsland). Speculation is that they may have the doors on them so that they can be used on public streets for the remote parking lots they've been using.

It doesn't show in these pics, but the areas that are wider for scooters or wheelchairs have double doors.

Goodness, that's a lot of rehabbing at one time !

I wonder if the Materhorn would run correctly even without the water at the end ? Probably... :confused3

At any rate, thanks SO much for taking and posting all of those pics ! :goodvibes

Goodness, that's a lot of rehabbing at one time !

I wonder if the Materhorn would run correctly even without the water at the end ? Probably... :confused3

At any rate, thanks SO much for taking and posting all of those pics ! :goodvibes

The Matterhorn is down off and on for the next couple months for normal refurbishment, but it isn't related to the Rivers of America being down (I think that's were you were going with your question).

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :thumbsup2

Initially it was gonna be April, but I think it's been pushed into May with all the rain delays they've had recently.

This summer should be safe. ;)

Thanks Tom. I have my fingers crossed too.:goodvibes

The Matterhorn is down off and on for the next couple months for normal refurbishment, but it isn't related to the Rivers of America being down (I think that's were you were going with your question).

I hope the Matterhorn is up and running again by the beginning of May. That is one of my favorites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter