Disneyland August 2021: Magic hour? # of Adults at Grand Californian? <-- Help! :)

mikeyandminnie

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

I am planning my family vacation in August 2021 and looking to stay at Disneland's Grand Californian hotel. Any advice or help would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

(1) I know this maybe unknown but will Magic Hour be available at that time? I believe It's NOT available at the moment of writing this 7/22/21, so that takes some of the "value" out of staying at the hotel. Esp one that cost minimum of $500/night.
(2) Does anyone know if it makes a difference to have 2 adults and 2 kids vs. 3 adults and 2 kids? It's say it sleeps up to 5 adults, but the price is about $30 difference when I change the number of adults. I'm thinking of putting down 2 and 2 and then (if needed) add another adult without notifying them. Is there a reason why I don't want to do this to save a few bucks? I dont want any problems down the line...
(3) What's the current process for Rise of the Resistance ride? There use to be a concept of getting a place holder via the app, but you have to go right when it opens. Is that still case?

Thanks in advance!

1. not looking like it at this point
2. I think there is supposed to be a charge or a tax that is per person, so probably better to go with 3 & 2, especially if it is only $30 difference. That way you won't have any stress adding the extra adult if you need to.
3. Excellent thread here - the first page or so covers what you need to know for Rise of the Resistance! https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...poilers-please-please-read-posts-1-3.3794369/

(2) Does anyone know if it makes a difference to have 2 adults and 2 kids vs. 3 adults and 2 kids? It's say it sleeps up to 5 adults, but the price is about $30 difference when I change the number of adults. I'm thinking of putting down 2 and 2 and then (if needed) add another adult without notifying them. Is there a reason why I don't want to do this to save a few bucks? I dont want any problems down the line...
(3) What's the current process for Rise of the Resistance ride? There use to be a concept of getting a place holder via the app, but you have to go right when it opens. Is that still case?

Thanks in advance!
2. I just looked and if I went from 4 adult to 5 adults, it did go up $25. (%635) That said, 4 adults, and 1 17 yo was at the 4 adult rate. ($607). And 2 adults and 3 17yos are $557.

Each adult over 2 in a room adds $25/night. Each adult needs a room key to access the pool AND use the GCH private entry into DCA in the mornings. You can't just not tell them. They will not give you more room keys than you have people in your room and everyone needs to show it in those 2 instances.

1. Probably not this year would be my guess. Maybe for Christmas?
2. You need to pay for who is staying in the room.
3. Didn’t get to ride it unfortunately but the process is explained well in the link provided above.

Each adult over 2 in a room adds $25/night. Each adult needs a room key to access the pool AND use the GCH private entry into DCA in the mornings. You can't just not tell them. They will not give you more room keys than you have people in your room and everyone needs to show it in those 2 instances.

Thanks, but I dont think I can get early access to DCA. Seems like Magic hour is not available.

When was that fee introduced?
I would sometimes add friends to my room so they could join me during EMH.

That would make sense if there were EMH or just MH but because there isn't and I know the pool doesn't require it, I think I'll stick with 2 and 2. The extra adult is my senior mother who doesn't plan on using the pool or really any of the amenities.

When was that fee introduced?
I would sometimes add friends to my room so they could join me during EMH.

It's always been the case at all Disney resorts for more than 2 adults in a room. Room rates have always been based on double occupancy, meaning 2 adults per room. Additional charges apply per adult.

That would make sense if there were EMH or just MH but because there isn't and I know the pool doesn't require it, I think I'll stick with 2 and 2. The extra adult is my senior mother who doesn't plan on using the pool or really any of the amenities.

Just so you know, there are rooms at the Grand that only sleep 4 and if you only put 4 down, there may not be a place for the 5th person to sleep. Not all rooms have a daybed and they prioritize them for parties of 5.

A major perk to staying at GCH is being able to enter and exit DCA from the private GCH entrance. You cannot enter DCA in the mornings (regardless of EMH) through the GCH private entrance without a room key, so you will have to walk all the way around to the main entrance if everyone in your party does not have a room key. You will also not be able to exit DCA through the private GCH exit without a room key or dining reservation.

The pool absolutely does require a room key. They will look at your key when you enter and give you a wristband.

In addition, the rooms sleep “up to 5 people”, but not all rooms sleep 5 people. The rooms that sleep 5 people are limited and given to reservations with 5 people listed. If you list 4 people, it is very likely you will be given a room that sleep 4 people with no bed for the 5th person.

Just pay the $30.

Last edited:
A major perk to staying at GCH is being able to enter and exit DCA from the private GCH entrance. You cannot enter DCA in the mornings (regardless of EMH) through the GCH private entrance without a room key, so you will have to walk all the way around to the main entrance if everyone in your party does not have a room key. You will also not be able to exit DCA through the private GCH exit without a room key or dining reservation.

The pool absolutely does require a room key. They will look at your key when you enter and give you a wristband.

In addition, the rooms sleep “up to 5 people”, but not all rooms sleep 5 people. The rooms that sleep 5 people are limited and given to reservations with 5 people listed. If you list 4 people, it is very likely you will be given a room that sleep 4 people with no bed for the 5th person.

Just pay the $30.
Completely agree with this. You can’t just sneak an extra person into the room. If you have 5 people you need to book and pay for 5 people. It’s as simple as that.

So is it correct that only GCH guests and those with dinner reservations can use the GCH/DCA entrance at all times throughout the day? What about the Downtown Disney entrance? Is security checking room keys to enter and exit that checkpoint?

Not just that, you need a key to open the pool gates. Then you are flagged down by an attendant who VERIFIES YOUR PARTY ON AN IPAD and only gives out that number of towels and wristbands

Wow, they've tightened up on pool security, haven't they? Last time we were there we just opened the gate with a key card and our whole ('legally registered!') party went in, no such-a-thing as a wristband. And the towels were just on a 'linen dolly' to be grabbed.

Not complaining, I think it's a good thing. We just got back from a trip to the Keys (post WDW) and the RV park we were in had a wristband policy for all their amenities. It worked just fine.

Curiosity....do you get a different wristband every day or every time you enter the pool area (like morning swim/afternoon swim)? Wonder why they decided to institute this policy?

Wow, they've tightened up on pool security, haven't they? Last time we were there we just opened the gate with a key card and our whole ('legally registered!') party went in, no such-a-thing as a wristband. And the towels were just on a 'linen dolly' to be grabbed.

Not complaining, I think it's a good thing. We just got back from a trip to the Keys (post WDW) and the RV park we were in had a wristband policy for all their amenities. It worked just fine.

Curiosity....do you get a different wristband every day or every time you enter the pool area (like morning swim/afternoon swim)? Wonder why they decided to institute this policy?
We just returned from a 5 day trip staying at GCH and we never once were asked to show our room key......for anything. We used the pools area almost daily, at different times of the day and we went in and out of the GCH special DCA entrance multiple times at all times of the day and never were asked to show our key. We also never were offered or handed wrist bands/towels for any day we used the pool. So, I'm not sure if things have loosened up or if it is just a hit and miss kind of thing, but thought I'd share what our experience was. All that being said, we had our room keys on us at all times as we knew that we may need to show it to use certain amenities.

We just returned from a 5 day trip staying at GCH and we never once were asked to show our room key......for anything.
When we were there 4th of July, they were asking rooms keys for pool and to enter DCA early am. When we were back July 17th weekend, they were no longer checking people into the pool area, but pool people did come around asking when the pool area was crowded.

We just returned from a 5 day trip staying at GCH and we never once were asked to show our room key......for anything. We used the pools area almost daily, at different times of the day and we went in and out of the GCH special DCA entrance multiple times at all times of the day and never were asked to show our key. We also never were offered or handed wrist bands/towels for any day we used the pool. So, I'm not sure if things have loosened up or if it is just a hit and miss kind of thing, but thought I'd share what our experience was. All that being said, we had our room keys on us at all times as we knew that we may need to show it to use certain amenities.
We've stayed there 3 times in the past 3 years and our experience every time has been room keys at the pool, iPad check in, wrist bands, show keys in and out of GCH gate (even the downtown Disney one at times) and given out towels.

It may be an overall hit or miss if they check, but really all this back and forth is not worth it. Just be honest about number of guests in room it's not that hard.... and if $30 is a deal breaker, then Grand is not the property for you at nearly $1,000 a night after taxes.

I'm not judging- heck, I can't afford to stay at GCH! :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter