Disneyland at Christmastime?

DisneyDotty

Oops, no more!
We've been to WDW several times during various seasons. Now we want to try Disneyland--arriving Dec. 17 and staying for 5 nights. Our goal is to spend time at Disneyland and Calif. Adventure. Is 5 nights/5 park days enough? Will it be unbearably crowded (ie--how would it compare to WDW at Christmastime)? Do we need a rental car?
Thanks so much for all the help!

I'm not sure about the days leading up to Christmas or the days after but you definitely want to avoid Christmas Day! We went last year to see what it would be like. They reached capacity at DL by 1:00PM! :earseek: My kids got to go on only 2 rides that day. Seeing the parade and fireworks was great but it was just tough getting around with all of the people there. At least we can say we've done that but we won't do it again...

the earlier in December the better in terms of crowds, the closer to Christmas and Christmas Day the larger the crowds especially weekends. 5 days and nights will definitely be enough time to enjoy both parks thoroughly. As WDW vets you will get to experience a Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Mansion and a Holiday Its a Small World. Disneyland is wonderful during the Holidays and the weather is nice too!

:3dglasses

Yes, it will be crowded. I have been to WDW the week before Christmas, and to DL and they are about the same in terms of crowds. My husband's bday is Dec. 24th and we usually stay at a DL resort hotel on the 22nd and 23rd, go to the park until close on the 24th. The 23rd and 24th are crazy (in a fun way), 22nd not so bad. In fact, on Christmas Day we went after the fireworks and it was dead!!! You will be able to find some quiet corners to enjoy the lights late in the evening.

The problem you will have is that schools here will be getting out for break on Dec. 16th, so it might be a little more hectic. Due to the 50th more festivities might be held at DCA than usual so that may help with crowds. 5 days should be plenty of time to soak up the ambience. I like DL better at Christmas than the MK at WDW - just wish we had Epcot instead of DCA!!!

What about the 26th? We are flying into LAX on that day and then heading to Blythe to visit the inlaws.... instead of subjecting the kids to 3 hours of flying then 3 hours of driving, we thought we would pop into DL for the afternoon and eve, stay at HoJo's then drive the next morning.. returning to DL about the 4-7 of Jan before we fly out again.

Okay, we've been to DL several years in a row this same week for my kids birthday. The crowds were not bad at all, but if you're there on the 25th or 26th you'll be shocked at all the people. We usually go around the 19th and leave early in the morning on the 26th. It's so fun and the decorations are super. It's chilly at nite because you are not too far from the beach, just a great excuse for hot chocolate in a new Disney mug!!! The days are nice when the sun is out which it usually is. I think the daytime temps for us during that time ran approx 65 to 70.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter