DisneyLAND 1st trip, we are seasoned DW vets!

Since you will be visiting during October (is this right?), you might want to look into Mickey's Halloween Party at DL. The party (a separate ticket is required) is lots of fun (characters in costumes, trick or treat trails, dance parties). Not the same as the one in WDW (DL's parade is smaller), but the Halloween Screams fireworks are terrific! Even if you are not interested in the party, check the DL calendar for the day you plan to visit because DL closes early on party nights and all non-party goers will head for DCA and DtD.
Indiana Jones will be down for refurb while you are there. If certain rides are really important to you, check the DL refurb schedule. Also, regular fireworks and Fantasmic! only show on weekends (Fri - Sun) during the off season. WOC should have one show each night and 2 shows on weekends.

Everyone's already has said everything I would but I would reiterate some of the points made.

Matterhorn (though rather bumpy for some) and Indiana Jones are really fantastic. Even though I usually hate waiting more than 30 minutes for a ride, we waited a little under an hour to ride it just once after it re-opened because it's so fantastic.

Definitely check out the Blue Bayou if you can afford it! The atmosphere is great and it's fun to wave to the people passing by on PotC. I'd recommend the Monte Cristo sandwich. :)

PotC and Haunted Mansion are both a lot cooler at Disneyland in my opinion.

Carsland in DCA is a must see and I haven't been there since the day after it opened, but be prepared to wait about 15 minutes right when DCA opens to get your Radiator Springs Racers fastpasses. I don't know if it's still that busy, but just thought I'd say what I experienced.

Overall Disneyland really has more of an "old school" feel to it than Disney World. Though DW is bigger, I've always felt you can really feel the magic from having Walt's special touch at DL.

I'll try and think of some more things that people haven't said and post tomorrow. :)

Hello, WDW vet here. We spent six days in the Disneyland parks for the first this past August and came away loving them far more than WDW!!

I do think, though, that you can easily do both parks if you are truly just planning to do the rides which are different from WDW.

I would hit California Adventure FIRST and head to the FP line for Radiator Springs Racers. Then I would head to Paradise Pier and do California Screamin' roller coaster because you said you are big coaster fans. The FP for that coaster is disconnected from the park so you can actually get a FP for it even though you will have one for Radiator Springs Racers.

I would skip everything else in Paradise Pier, including the extremely SLOW loading ferris wheel. Then head back to the park entrance and ride the Ariel ride on the way and then walk to Disneyland.

Once in Disneyland (and the parks are about 100 yards apart from each other....park hopping is SUPER FAST and you will be there in two minutes tops!) head to Space and get FPs for it. Then go to Adventureland and ride Pirates. Unfortunately, Indiana Jones is slated to be down while you are there. This is so sad. Anyway, I'd then head to Fantasyland and do any rides there you want. While they have a lot of dark rides that WDW doesn't have, they are the same formula. The Matterhorn may be an issue...it doesn't have FP....and the line tends to be long. But if you follow my advice and go to Cali Adventure first, you can't avoid the Matterhorn lines. If you choose to skip Cali Ad even though it's great and you can flit between the two parks all day long, I advise you to go to the Matterhorn first.

At any rate, check out Toontown just because it's a real town and REALLY well done. But just a quick tour will do. They have a Roger Rabbit ride you can FP if you want (we never had to, there was never a line, but this ride is ALSO disconnected from the FP center so you can get FPs for it even if you already have FPs). Get a FP for Mansion and then ride Space and Mansion whenever you can. Head back to Cali Ad at some point to ride Radiator Springs Racers and California Screamin' with your FPs. While doing that ride the Monsters Inc. ride on your way out.

So in Disneyland ride Space, Pirates, Mansion, Fantasyland dark rides, check out Toontown....the other rides are pretty much the same as WDW. In Cali Ad check out Radiator Springs Racers, California Sreeamin', and the Ariel ride, and the Monsters Inc. ride!

Hello, WDW vet here. We spent six days in the Disneyland parks for the first this past August and came away loving them far more than WDW!!

I do think, though, that you can easily do both parks if you are truly just planning to do the rides which are different from WDW.

I would hit California Adventure FIRST and head to the FP line for Radiator Springs Racers. Then I would head to Paradise Pier and do California Screamin' roller coaster because you said you are big coaster fans. The FP for that coaster is disconnected from the park so you can actually get a FP for it even though you will have one for Radiator Springs Racers.

I would skip everything else in Paradise Pier, including the extremely SLOW loading ferris wheel. Then head back to the park entrance and ride the Ariel ride on the way and then walk to Disneyland.

Once in Disneyland (and the parks are about 100 yards apart from each other....park hopping is SUPER FAST and you will be there in two minutes tops!) head to Space and get FPs for it. Then go to Adventureland and ride Pirates. Unfortunately, Indiana Jones is slated to be down while you are there. This is so sad. Anyway, I'd then head to Fantasyland and do any rides there you want. While they have a lot of dark rides that WDW doesn't have, they are the same formula. The Matterhorn may be an issue...it doesn't have FP....and the line tends to be long. But if you follow my advice and go to Cali Adventure first, you can't avoid the Matterhorn lines. If you choose to skip Cali Ad even though it's great and you can flit between the two parks all day long, I advise you to go to the Matterhorn first.

At any rate, check out Toontown just because it's a real town and REALLY well done. But just a quick tour will do. They have a Roger Rabbit ride you can FP if you want (we never had to, there was never a line, but this ride is ALSO disconnected from the FP center so you can get FPs for it even if you already have FPs). Get a FP for Mansion and then ride Space and Mansion whenever you can. Head back to Cali Ad at some point to ride Radiator Springs Racers and California Screamin' with your FPs. While doing that ride the Monsters Inc. ride on your way out.

So in Disneyland ride Space, Pirates, Mansion, Fantasyland dark rides, check out Toontown....the other rides are pretty much the same as WDW. In Cali Ad check out Radiator Springs Racers, California Sreeamin', and the Ariel ride, and the Monsters Inc. ride!

Katems,
Wow, YOU ROCK! The way you answer is the exact same way i tell folks when they are hitting WDW for the 1st time. I'll probably print your reply and use it as our roadmap! Hate to hear Indiana Jones is gonna be closed. Never understand why they close rides...just hire folks to refurb at night, ya know? Oh well. Ultimatly we are going to LA to see Peter Gabriel..so the Disneyland trip is just icing on the cake.

D

We are WDW vets too. Park hopping at DL is a whole lot different than at WDW. I would definitely get hoppers and do both parks. Walking between the gates of the parks is shorter than walking from the gate of a WDW park to some of the bus stops for the resorts. We have gotten from the back corner of DL, to the back of CA in 10 minutes before. Think of it as one big park by WDW standards.

For 2 adults you can definitely get fit in a ton from both parks in one day. DH and I went to DL/CA for one day while I was on a business trip (my first time to DL since I was a kid), and we were able to ride almost every ride in both parks (minus the kiddie rides in a Bugs Land) and fit in the Aladdin show too (which I would highly recommend if you can do it). We stayed from open to close, ate quick service instead of table service, and went at a pretty high rate of speed. Now it would be hard to fit in Fantasmic or WOC trying to do that because getting a good spot for them is a huge time drain even if you do a dinner (WOC) or dessert (fantasmic) package, but even if you decided to try one of those (which are both terrific), I would still hop and hit the highlights of both parks.

Don't bother with Star Tours if you are tired of it at WDW. Not only is it exactly the same, but the line is always longer at DL too. If you are like us, you have walked on it at WDW multiple times. That usually doesn't happen at DL.

Also, TSM is not fast pass at CA. It used to have a single rider line which is how we rode it on our one day trip, but they got rid of the single rider quite some time ago. It is exactly the same as WDW, so if it isn't one of your absolute favorites, I would skip it and spend the time somewhere else.

Have fun! Be careful, DL can be addictive! We fell in love with DL and now alternate between DL and WDW.

We are WDW vets too. Park hopping at DL is a whole lot different than at WDW. I would definitely get hoppers and do both parks. Walking between the gates of the parks is shorter than walking from the gate of a WDW park to some of the bus stops for the resorts. We have gotten from the back corner of DL, to the back of CA in 10 minutes before. Think of it as one big park by WDW standards.

For 2 adults you can definitely get fit in a ton from both parks in one day. DH and I went to DL/CA for one day while I was on a business trip (my first time to DL since I was a kid), and we were able to ride almost every ride in both parks (minus the kiddie rides in a Bugs Land) and fit in the Aladdin show too (which I would highly recommend if you can do it). We stayed from open to close, ate quick service instead of table service, and went at a pretty high rate of speed. Now it would be hard to fit in Fantasmic or WOC trying to do that because getting a good spot for them is a huge time drain even if you do a dinner (WOC) or dessert (fantasmic) package, but even if you decided to try one of those (which are both terrific), I would still hop and hit the highlights of both parks.

Don't bother with Star Tours if you are tired of it at WDW. Not only is it exactly the same, but the line is always longer at DL too. If you are like us, you have walked on it at WDW multiple times. That usually doesn't happen at DL.

Also, TSM is not fast pass at CA. It used to have a single rider line which is how we rode it on our one day trip, but they got rid of the single rider quite some time ago. It is exactly the same as WDW, so if it isn't one of your absolute favorites, I would skip it and spend the time somewhere else.

Have fun! Be careful, DL can be addictive! We fell in love with DL and now alternate between DL and WDW.

TSM?? I am OK with some short hand but not all. What is TSM?

Aww, thanks Denicio! It's fun to now be able to give advice about DisneyLAND!

I wanted to mention the Aladdin show which has been brought up several times. Yes, it's a great show and the Genie is hysterical, BUT, it WILL eat more than an hour out of your day. The show itself is at least 50 minutes, and then you have the line for it. The theater is huge, so getting in line right away isn't really an issue, but of course the farther ahead in line you are the better the seat you will snag. You also have to plan around the show times. I guess what I am saying is I would skip it. It's just a broadway style stage musical...well done and all, but still just a musical.

Also, with California Screamin', if the stand by line is short, or you want to do single rider, I would ride it first and then still snag FPs for it for later in the day.

I didn't mention the Nemo sub ride at DL either....a long ride, about 17 minutes I believe, and a very long line. While WDW doesn't have this, this is one I would consider skipping due to time constraints.

I must also say that Space is THE best out of all the coasters there, so try and single ride or get more FPs for it if you can. SO different from WDW. WDW ought to tear theirs down and start over...it's just a travesty!!

I'd probably skip Tower, but you can use it as a beacon to find the Monster's Inc. ride which is in that general direction. Tower is not different enough to waste time on when you are so pressed for time. Grizzly River Run is better than Kali, but still similar enough to skip, especially as I'm sure you don't want to spend your only day soaking wet.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy Peter Gabriel!!

Hate to hear Indiana Jones is gonna be closed. Never understand why they close rides...just hire folks to refurb at night, ya know?

That's impossible with a refurb as extensive as this one is likely to be. This isn't just slapping on a few coats of paint; it's (probably) disassembling and repairing major portions of the ride for weeks at a time to get them working properly again.

TSM is Toy Story (Midway) Mania, and the above poster is correct, there is no FP for it. Out of our SIX days there we went on Toy Story ONCE! The lines were always huge and it wasn't worth it for us since it is the same as WDW. It's one of our favorites, but I'd rather do it at WDW with FP. :o)

Based on this reply, i think we will hit both parks. At WDW we have park hopping down to a science. We hit a park when it opens, hit certian rides, hit specific resturants and then take transportatoin to another park to hit specific rides there. In some cases we hit MK, to MGM and end up eating dinner at Epcot (wiht a single ride in). So by the end of the week we have hit everything!

With our California Trip we'll just skip the redundant rides and i will miss some of the shows. Yeah the Color thing looks neat but i'd rather be on a ride somewhere. We are more RIDE folks, so hitting rollercoasters is of major importance. I am bummed that Indiana Jones is down. But there will be enough stuff to make up for it. This whole Radiator springs thing looks like a recycled Test Track to me. I could be wrong. Test track was always the longest line with minimum pay off (and thats being kind).

The wife and i are great at opening a park and closing another in the same day,so thats the method we will approach this trip.

Thanks everyone for your valuable input!

Denicio

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter