Disney World with a 16 month old

A lot of emphasis is placed on whether your child will remember a trip or not, and I think that's a mistake. You wouldn't worry about taking your child to the zoo or to a birthday party and that they may not remember it! Yes, a trip to Disney is more money than a trip to the zoo, but 1) since your child has free entry and 2) since you don't have to pay for your child to eat at many of the meals, this is a great time to go! Your child will believe that s/he is really seeing/meeting the characters, and if you wait until they are "old enough", they may be too jaded to really enjoy the magic of WDW.

I won't lie, you do have to make some concessions. There are rides your LO can't go on, and please be good to your child and yourselves, and stop for a nap. It can be back at the hotel or in a quiet place in the park in the stroller. Our child doesn't like fireworks, but enjoyed the light show. He also loved the Pixar parade. But there are so many things that are JUST perfect for smaller children that it would be a shame to miss. If your child watches Disney Jr at home, please go to the Disney Jr On Stage production. That's where my son saw "snow" for the first time ;) . The show is interactive, everyone gets to sit on the floor - it is perfect for the under 3 set.

And don't forget Its A Small World!!!!!

Think carefully about whether you want to do character meals. Some children are frightened by the larger than life faces. We had the chance to take our son to Chucky Cheese :crazy:before we went, and I was shocked that my child did not run away from Chucky. With that under our belt, I booked a meal and said, even if he doesn't want to meet the characters, he will enjoy seeing them. But you need to decide if that is going to be the right thing for your child.

Last edited:
My first trip was when I was 8 months old. Do I remember it no. Do my parents of course! I think if you feel you are ready to take your child go ahead and do it. You'll have the memories and then they can see them in pictures and you can tell them just how happy they were to be there.

Besides the long lines (which can be avoided with early morning touring and fastpass+) that age is so fun! We've brought kids of all ages, it's more for the parents to enjoy watching your child love the magical place you love.

I took my then 15month old by myself. As in, I was the only adult on the trip with her, so I say YES. It is totally doable, because I did it by myself. I didn't get to ride any roller coasters on that trip, but we had a ton of fun.

We stroller nap and that helps immensely. Make sure you have a stroller with a good recline. She also napped in her carrier some, but she was a bit heavy for me. If you have your husband there, it shouldn't be any issue at all.

Her favorite at 15 months was Main Street Electrical Parade, IASW, any flying ride and Princesses!

We also took her at 7 months and it was a lot easier.

Depends on what you mean by "worth it". If going now means not going again till they are 5, then I would say it's not worth it. If going now means going to WDW instead of the beach, but not affecting future WDW plans, then I say it's worth it!

I think the bottom line is that you have to figure out what's best for your child and your situation, and then decide. If you have a child that hates crowds, don't do this. If you have an opportunity to go, and your budget will support it, and you think your child will be happy, go for it. Unless you live close to one of the Disney parks, you may have have to work around when you will be in Cal or Florida instead of when your child is the perfect age.

My answer is that it depends. If you want to go so that she gets to enjoy Disney, then I'd suggest waiting. But part of being a parent is about you and your enjoyment. So if you get a kick out of Disney and you want the memory of taking your 16 month old there, then do it. I fully understand. I took my 5 month old to a college football game (great weather game - low 70's and dry). I loved having him there with me. But he doesn't remember it of course and didn't seem to enjoy it any more or less than anything else we did together at that age. But the memories and photos I have of holding him in the seat with me are something that I'll cherish until I die.

Hello! My husband and I have been to Disneyworld several times before we had our daughter and now we are so excited to take her but just wondering if its worth it to take her when she's 16 months old? We are thinking of going in January, does anyone have any insight into taking a young toddler to Disneyworld? Was it worth it? Did they enjoy it? Is there a better hotel to stay at with her? (we want to stay on site) Any other insight for us? Thank you so much for your help!

We took our daughter at 2-1/2 and had a great trip. The only way I'd suggest taking a 16 month old is if the Grandparents were coming along and were willing to help.

My little guy was almost 2 when we took him and he loved it. On all the rides he laughed and as soon as it stopped or slowed he would scream "more!". He ran up and hugged all of the characters he saw, and really loved the fireworks. We took a ton of pics and it was such a fun memory for us. I really didn't think he would remember it, but even 2+ weeks later he is still talking about it and asking to go back. A friend had taken her daughter when she was younger and had recommended it to me and I'm happy we went. We loved it so much we upgraded to AP's

We have taken DS4 every year starting when he was seven months old. He's been at seven months, 17 months, 2 years old, 3 years old and 4 years old. We have had a blast every trip! Plus, under three they are free. Our son has always had a good time at Disney.

We take him almost everywhere we go. Another plus is that because of this he has learned how to behave in public. Now at four years, four months, he can sit through movies at the theater, sit through dinners in restaurants and lots of other things and be well-behaved almost all the time!

Every family is different, but for us each and every trip has been worth it!

You wouldn't worry about taking your child to the zoo or to a birthday party and that they may not remember it!

So true. Your child gets a birthday invitation for someone else's child's first birthday and you decide not to send your child because "he won't remember it!" Heh.

A trip to Disney World is not all about a child. It's about a family, whatever that family is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter