Disney World still creating magical memories?

Not happy with quite a number of Disney policies and stances lately but I fully expect that we'll still find lots of magic there during our trip coming up in three weeks.

Last year was our worst trip by a large margin due to no Fastpass of any kind. (However we've never come close to having a BAD trip either). Crowds last summer were high enough that standby all day was just brutal. We said we wouldn't come back until some sort of system was put back in place... hence we are now going back, albiet with G+ :headache:

I thought they would simply bring FP+ back (like the good 'ol days), paid or not. ...but we'll make G+ work as best we can. I lament paying for a system that's worse than what we had pre-covid, but I'm ecstatic that we have some sort of system in place, which is basically an electronic version of the original paper FP that worked fine.

The whole Reedy Creek thing has no impact yet.
Crowd levels seem similar to this time of year from years past

Now, the much higher cost, mainly for resorts, G+, and lack of Magical Express really does add up and has caused us to drop two whole days from our vacation (8 vs 10) and drop park hoppers for the first time in a while.

We'll still find and makes lots of magic though, it just comes with this sting of knowing how thing used to be. (or could be)

Dan

Agree 100% on this--we went to Branson for a 2-night/1.5 day father's day/juneteenth weekend stay. Often hear branson described as a cheap getaway. Stayed in a very basic small airbnb condo with no resort amenities, went to one show (dolly parton stampede) on our arrival night, spent the next day with one day tickets at silver dollar city/white water, and returned the following morning. Just added all up and we spent $2,000. Only reason it worked out being any cheaper than Disney for us is because for Disney, we have to add plane tickets. If we could drive to Disney, it'd be about the same cost for a MUCH higher quality experience.
Went to Branson once, and don't ever plan to go back. We had a good time, did the amusement park, saw shows, did the putt putt, enjoyed the nature, battled the ungodly traffic on the main road :headache: but it just wasn't for us. I remember mentioning to my family that it felt like a redneck Disney World. That might not come across well to some folks but that's how I feel. LOL

Dan

While we did pay for the passes they aren't that expensive. Its still cheaper then most vacations. We are going back to Cedar Point again in a few weeks and our hotel again is only costing us $700 for the week. It's still a lot less then any Disney vacation or a beach vacation.
Evidently it's cheaper than any other vacation period so enjoy it while it's there.
You can't go to Dollywood for that price. Well, you CAN get a hotel that cheap. I would never step foot in that hotel though. Nor would anyone I know. Not even a half way decent Pigeon Forge hotel is $100/night cheap. And Dolly's hotel? She's equal to Disney's deluxe resort prices. It's quite nice with the drop off at the front of the park and all though. Can't wait to stay at the new resort they are building. Everything I've seen so far appears to be quite nice.

Heck, I'm not sure you can hit up Lake Winnie in N. GA for $700/week and it's like bottom of the barrel in the theme park arena. LOL

Evidently it's cheaper than any other vacation period so enjoy it while it's there.
You can't go to Dollywood for that price. Well, you CAN get a hotel that cheap. I would never step foot in that hotel though. Nor would anyone I know. Not even a half way decent Pigeon Forge hotel is $100/night cheap. And Dolly's hotel? She's equal to Disney's deluxe resort prices. It's quite nice with the drop off at the front of the park and all though. Can't wait to stay at the new resort they are building. Everything I've seen so far appears to be quite nice.

Heck, I'm not sure you can hit up Lake Winnie in N. GA for $700/week and it's like bottom of the barrel in the theme park arena. LOL
Yeah, I don’t dispute the pp’s numbers—maybe they got a special rate or it is a super discounted hotel? If you look today for hotels near cedar point it is generally in the $150-250 per night rate range, pre-tax, and those are just basic holiday inn type hotels.

I mean, you can stay at a Holiday Inn near Disney World for the same price too.

Can’t compare apples to oranges.

We have been a few times throughout the pandemic with our latest being a short weekend visit from June 17-19. It was one of our best trips for a lot of reasons. The CM's we interacted with were spectacular both at the resort and in the parks. Crowds were much lower than we expected. I don't feel like I'm lowering my expectations, but I definitely understand that things are simply different. Some are better, some are worse. Nothing has broken the camel's back...not even close.

Magic is subjective, and everyone is going to have vastly different experiences, even if they stay at the same resort, eat at the same restaurants, visit the same time of year, spend more money, etc. You just have to go and figure out if you can enjoy your time there. If you can, awesome! And if you can't, I know a lot of people on here are done, which sucks. But it's understandable. It's your money and time -- do what makes you happy.

FWIW, having so many great, new attractions makes the parks very exciting to visit. With Star Wars, Remy, Guardians, and soon-to-be TRON, I feel like there is a lot of new stuff to see and do, which is exciting. As far as G+ goes, it sucks to pay for what was once free, BUT we have not rope dropped once in our last three trips and we were still able to do everything we wanted. Stacking has been an awesome strategy that many on these boards figured out. This alone has allowed us to sleep in, enjoy the pool, and relax at the resort during the first part of the day, which is making our trips to WDW feel more like a vacation than ever before. In my 2018-2019 trips, I was always so exhausted after our visits (as amazing as they were). On our most recent weekend visit we got so much done and we didn't even leave the resort until well after 2pm. Coming home I felt rested and relaxed because the G+ strategies allowed us to skip rope drop, and that is for me is a huge plus despite it's negatives.

Yeah, I don’t dispute the pp’s numbers—maybe they got a special rate or it is a super discounted hotel? If you look today for hotels near cedar point it is generally in the $150-250 per night rate range, pre-tax, and those are just basic holiday inn type hotels.

I mean, you can stay at a Holiday Inn near Disney World for the same price too.

Can’t compare apples to oranges.
Yes I did get a discount for the hotel. I know it's not apples to oranges but my point was to show that while things have gone up in price everywhere, there is still places that are not that expensive where you can have a good vacation.
For my family a hotel is only a place to sleep so we look for somewhere that's decent and not over $200 a night. Why spend a lot when we aren't going to even be in the room much.

OP... I feel this!

We are about 2 months away from going back for the first time since September '19. We used to go yearly but skipped 2020 and 2021 for obvious reasons, and we are NERVOUS about what this experience will bring.

Disney for us in the past has ALWAYS been magical. That's why we continue to return. Yet we are extremely wary this time around, mainly because to us it feels like Disney is lacking compared to what it was. And I mean that in they are clearly having staffing issues, which has led to taking away and not re-opening many experiences, and we are having a hard time swallowing the idea of more $$$ for less. I am ALL FOR price increases and NEW things but there still has to be some sort of value there. I am having a hard time seeing it here.

We are the type of family that both plans but can easily adapt day of. We don't mind spending, but again, have to see value in it. We of course like experiencing things together as a family and can have a great time no matter where we are, but Disney IS magical because of the environment - the "Disney experience," attractions, attention to detail, restaurants, food, and most of all it's cast members. It's really what set it apart from "other" theme parks.

I don't think it's fair to go in expecting less and being surprised when you get more. And especially not when they are charging more for things while taking so much away. We should be treated to consistent experiences. Same goes for when people say it's what you make of it. Well yes, that's true for everything, but there is a bar Disney should be aiming for that feels like it's been lowered.

For us that bar is experience that always went above and beyond.

Some things that stood out from our 2019 trip...
1. We were standing right outside Jungle Cruise, debating if we had enough time to ride before our Skippers Canteen reservation, knowing our daughter (who was 2 at the time) would not have the will-power to make it much past dinner. We literally stood outside the ride staring the 60 minute wait time, wondering how accurate it was and if we could risk it/how late we could be for our reservation, all while she was begging to "see the elephants." A cast member suddenly interrupted us. Said Mickey had sent him a message and would like us to follow him "right this way." He took us to the Fast Pass line and said he hopes we enjoy and have a great dinner afterwards! We were so taken aback!
2. We did a lunch package that had the best parade viewing spot. All the characters walking came up to our daughter. It was a straight shot to the castle. It seems like they still have not brought a lot of this back... these special packages/experiences and such.
3. The character meetings. At Akershus Cinderella literally got down and started playing with our daughter's Little People WITH her. I can't picture that really happening today. Not with how rushed things have gotten, or how MANY character meet and greets OR meals don't exist.
I know they will bring it back... hopefully... but for many it's a big part of going. I also think because of these lack of "special" meals/character meet and greets people have less to do so they go on rides, which make for obvious longer lines.
4. Staying onsite, magical express, etc... it was just this super magical experience from the moment you stepped off the plane. While we are staying at a MK deluxe this time around, I can't see us continuing to stay onsite if we feel it doesn't live up to past experiences/expectations. It's COSTLY to stay onsite, and with the way they are TAKING AWAY more experiences without the prices reflecting that, offsite seems to be appealing to us more. If the Disney bubble isn't as magical to be in we could stay at nice hotels offsite and rent a car too. Honestly, it may be easier.
5. Dining. Gosh we LOVE Disney dining and food. From V&A to Pinocchio Haus. ALL. OF. IT. We love how the staff makes each meal an experience, especially at the signature restaurants. And the FOOD! I'm so nervous about what I've been reading when it comes to the food. This was always one of our favorite things! I'm a little bummed that everything has become more pre-fixe too. Not necessarily cost-wise but more because of the lack of options.

So yeah, I do worry for this trip. Not that we won't have a good time, because of course we will still have fun, but that the "Disney experience" won't be there.

P.S. I'm also kind of bitter because because we have a second daughter now since going pre-pandemic who ONLY wants to meet Pluto who is like ridiculously hard to find. Ugh. I miss the days they would just all be there right when you walked into MK.

P.P.S. And our first daughter who was 2 last trip is 5 now and wants to meet all the princesses... which CRT would have been like GOLDEN for no longer exists. I mean for us Disney is where you can go and meet ALL the characters and they are just taking so long to bring them all back!

P.P.P.S. I also REALLY hate the idea that I have to stay up until MIDNIGHT to get Genie+ and then BE UP AT 7AM to make my selections. Like Disney is ALREADY exhausting, let's not make it worse.

OP... I feel this!

We are about 2 months away from going back for the first time since September '19. We used to go yearly but skipped 2020 and 2021 for obvious reasons, and we are NERVOUS about what this experience will bring.

Disney for us in the past has ALWAYS been magical. That's why we continue to return. Yet we are extremely wary this time around, mainly because to us it feels like Disney is lacking compared to what it was. And I mean that in they are clearly having staffing issues, which has led to taking away and not re-opening many experiences, and we are having a hard time swallowing the idea of more $$$ for less. I am ALL FOR price increases and NEW things but there still has to be some sort of value there. I am having a hard time seeing it here.

We are the type of family that both plans but can easily adapt day of. We don't mind spending, but again, have to see value in it. We of course like experiencing things together as a family and can have a great time no matter where we are, but Disney IS magical because of the environment - the "Disney experience," attractions, attention to detail, restaurants, food, and most of all it's cast members. It's really what set it apart from "other" theme parks.

I don't think it's fair to go in expecting less and being surprised when you get more. And especially not when they are charging more for things while taking so much away. We should be treated to consistent experiences. Same goes for when people say it's what you make of it. Well yes, that's true for everything, but there is a bar Disney should be aiming for that feels like it's been lowered.

For us that bar is experience that always went above and beyond.

Some things that stood out from our 2019 trip...
1. We were standing right outside Jungle Cruise, debating if we had enough time to ride before our Skippers Canteen reservation, knowing our daughter (who was 2 at the time) would not have the will-power to make it much past dinner. We literally stood outside the ride staring the 60 minute wait time, wondering how accurate it was and if we could risk it/how late we could be for our reservation, all while she was begging to "see the elephants." A cast member suddenly interrupted us. Said Mickey had sent him a message and would like us to follow him "right this way." He took us to the Fast Pass line and said he hopes we enjoy and have a great dinner afterwards! We were so taken aback!
2. We did a lunch package that had the best parade viewing spot. All the characters walking came up to our daughter. It was a straight shot to the castle. It seems like they still have not brought a lot of this back... these special packages/experiences and such.
3. The character meetings. At Akershus Cinderella literally got down and started playing with our daughter's Little People WITH her. I can't picture that really happening today. Not with how rushed things have gotten, or how MANY character meet and greets OR meals don't exist.
I know they will bring it back... hopefully... but for many it's a big part of going. I also think because of these lack of "special" meals/character meet and greets people have less to do so they go on rides, which make for obvious longer lines.
4. Staying onsite, magical express, etc... it was just this super magical experience from the moment you stepped off the plane. While we are staying at a MK deluxe this time around, I can't see us continuing to stay onsite if we feel it doesn't live up to past experiences/expectations. It's COSTLY to stay onsite, and with the way they are TAKING AWAY more experiences without the prices reflecting that, offsite seems to be appealing to us more. If the Disney bubble isn't as magical to be in we could stay at nice hotels offsite and rent a car too. Honestly, it may be easier.
5. Dining. Gosh we LOVE Disney dining and food. From V&A to Pinocchio Haus. ALL. OF. IT. We love how the staff makes each meal an experience, especially at the signature restaurants. And the FOOD! I'm so nervous about what I've been reading when it comes to the food. This was always one of our favorite things! I'm a little bummed that everything has become more pre-fixe too. Not necessarily cost-wise but more because of the lack of options.

So yeah, I do worry for this trip. Not that we won't have a good time, because of course we will still have fun, but that the "Disney experience" won't be there.

P.S. I'm also kind of bitter because because we have a second daughter now since going pre-pandemic who ONLY wants to meet Pluto who is like ridiculously hard to find. Ugh. I miss the days they would just all be there right when you walked into MK.

P.P.S. And our first daughter who was 2 last trip is 5 now and wants to meet all the princesses... which CRT would have been like GOLDEN for no longer exists. I mean for us Disney is where you can go and meet ALL the characters and they are just taking so long to bring them all back!

P.P.P.S. I also REALLY hate the idea that I have to stay up until MIDNIGHT to get Genie+ and then BE UP AT 7AM to make my selections. Like Disney is ALREADY exhausting, let's not make it worse.
RE: your PPPS
You can do both of those at the same time. Just get up at 6:55, buy Genie+, then be ready to do selections. Push it out to 6:45 if you want a little more time to gather yourself to buy it. But there is no advantage to buying at midnight, that I can think of. Please someone correct that if I'm wrong. I'm not up on many things Genie, I'll admit. But I can't think of anything you do with it until 7:00

RE: your PPPS
You can do both of those at the same time. Just get up at 6:55, buy Genie+, then be ready to do selections. Push it out to 6:45 if you want a little more time to gather yourself to buy it. But there is no advantage to buying at midnight, that I can think of. Please someone correct that if I'm wrong. I'm not up on many things Genie, I'll admit. But I can't think of anything you do with it until 7:00

I read things about it possibly selling out so to ensure availability get it at midnight?

I read things about it possibly selling out so to ensure availability get it at midnight?
Has it actually happened?
I mean, they say parks can close to hopping but other than for like 1 or 2 hours on 10/1, it's not happened. So the odds of it impacting you are so miniscule as to not exist as a risk at all.
So yes, that is a reason but I am genuinely curious to know, has it actually happened since they started day of sales only?

We have cut back from 2 trips a year to once a year. However, I agree that the magic is still there. We still enjoy our trips.
Clearly, WDW is not the same as it once was. I think a big part of that is the attitude you have.
I feel like nothing is the same since the pandemic. It’s best to adjust your expectations and get on with what you choose to get on with. To the extent that you believe a company is using the pandemic and its fallout as an excuse to deliver less, you have a choice of whether to support that company or not. if you decide to go, just give yourself permission to enjoy it for what it is and try not to mourn the things that have changed.

Has it actually happened?
I mean, they say parks can close to hopping but other than for like 1 or 2 hours on 10/1, it's not happened. So the odds of it impacting you are so miniscule as to not exist as a risk at all.
So yes, that is a reason but I am genuinely curious to know, has it actually happened since they started day of sales only?

I don’t know but I don’t want to be the one to find out lol.

This saddens me to say, but my honest perspective is that the magic was gone for our November ‘21 trip.

-It was over crowded, not only for rides but shops and restaurants
-indifferent or rude CMs (with a few exceptions)
-CMs inability to resolve minor complaints we respectfully communicated
- Trying to jump on Genie at 7am was stressful and exhausting, and I hated having to jump on the app the rest of the day instead of relaxing and enjoying the moment
-unable to get ADRs for our favorites
-no parade of princesses at CRT
-no Bibiddi Bobbidi Boutique
-no Fantasmic
-no Enchanted Tales with Belle
-no character hugs/autographs
-only cavalcades, no real parades
-Fireworks/projections not as emotionally touching as in the past
-no mousekeeping for Deluxe prices at Poly
-2 souvenirs broke as soon as we got home (guest services said “too bad” when I reached out)
-We got the tail end of Magic Express before they discontinued, but if I were to go now I know that would take away some magic.

We were there for 6 nights/7 days and the only “magic moments” we really talk about was (1) my son’s joke being picked for Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and (2) my daughter being identified as the Rebel in Star Tours. I guess we also had a few amusing moments with cast members on Rise.

Now, I know some of those things are coming back now, but I’m disillusioned about the exorbitant prices we payed for such a reduced experience. I still look back and think “wow, I can’t believe we payed THAT MUCH for that experience.” We paid way more for way less, and Disney knows it. I’m just not sure I trust them anymore, if that makes sense? I feel as if I was swindled. I never felt that way before, and never felt bad about the money we spent. I always trusted they were the masters of hospitality and magic makers, and trusted them to give me a huge bang for my buck. I do not regard them that way now, and think they used the “COVID” excuse too long while taking in big profits.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter