Disney World Makes a Dining Change You Won't Like

Kennywood

Kennywood

Disney Guests Expect Change​

It takes lots of time to plan the ultimate Disney resort vacation, and much of that planning is done with a grain of salt, as guests know changes may be inevitable. Disney sets the expectation that some rides and or attractions may be closed for maintenance, and there is even a schedule to help prepare guests for the closures. Disney also states that other closures are subject to happen, and guests should check on their reservations and daily plans to make sure everything is set to try to avoid last minute disappointments. Many things like wait times and reservations at Disney World parks can be tracked using the My Disney Experience App.

The change that is unexpected, but is here nonetheless, is that Disney World has put a kibosh on guests’ ability to make last minute changes to dining reservations. Users of the app were previously able to make changes to their dining reservations up to about 20 minutes before their reservation time. The short time change allowed guests to finish seeing an attraction or make a quick change to their plans without losing out on their dinner reservations. Now guests can only make changes up to two hours before their dining reservations, but now they have to call the restaurants. Calling is no doubt an inconvenience for the guests, but a no call no show or a late arrival puts undue stress on the restaurant and its staff.

As with any special request or change, comes a price tag. If a guest wants to make a change within that two-hour time window before the dining reservation, the restaurant may impose a $10 per person fee to cancel or for a reservation no show. Each restaurant has its own policies, so guests should be sure to check out the change and cancelation policy before booking if they think there may be an issue making the reserved time.
And remember, reservations for Disney World restaurants require a credit card to hold the booking.

Disney Change Aligns Policies​

Disney World’s restaurant cancellation policy changed earlier this year according to Blog Mickey from a one-day cancellation policy to a two-hour cancellation policy. This policy change allowed for more flexibility for Disney guests.
The new dining reservation modification policy is anything but more flexible. The idea that guests can no longer use the app to make changes, is completely backwards from what guests have come to expect from the technology used to create a streamlined experience at Disney parks. Being able to use a smart phone and an app to make reservations, changes, bookings, pay for attractions etc., to having to make a phone call to make a modification is just wrong.
There is a whole group in the population that would just assume have a $10 per person fee show up on their credit card than use the phone to call someone and tell them about a cancellation or request a modification. Maybe that is what Disney World is counting on, the expectation that people do not want to use their phones to call anyone. It certainly wouldn’t be that Disney’s technology can’t allow for the restaurants to manage modifications, but it likely could.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tips/disney-world-makes-a-dining-change-you-won-t-like/ar-AA1aRsBv?ocid=BingHp04&cvid=755fe6e307094b359d639220ecaa05a7&ei=26

Trying to count on a phone call is terrible Policy. How often are you on hold for absurd lengths before being able to do whatever it is. Doing this while in the park to make short notice changes seems like a nearly impossible task.

But if you modify well outside of the 2 hours, can you do that online or do you have to call?

Unless the restaurant has specific cancellation policies you can modify/cancel thru the app until the 2hr window. Inside the 2hr window the modify button on the app either disappears or is greyed out so you would have to call. If you have to call you'll probably be on hold for 2hrs.

They just increased the window from 20 minutes to 2 hours on the app. A 2 hr window is better for people trying to get a reservation that you just dropped.
This is how we were able to eat at Space and Sci-Fi on our last visit. I also saw breakfast at Topolino's but my family was too lazy to get up lol.

Ya, Disney is wanting you not to call and they will reap the reward. For the button to disappear from the app like that at the 2 hour mark is shady as ****.

This is what I wonder about the future. Will Disney eventually make it so inconvenient to open your room door, charge to your room, get the photo pass pics, ect, and God knows what else without the use of Magicband? They could do that to increase revenue stream.

In other words you can no longer modify a reservation, within a few hours of reservation, to a future date then cancel without a penalty.

Disney closed a loophole.
That's my take as well.

I think that's fine. And before anyone explains why this is terrible because "what if I get stuck on a ride" or "what if my kid hurls an hour before dinner" (a) those kinds of things happen very rarely and (b) Disney consistently solves these sorts of problems after what is usually a short and painless conversation.

Qqqqq
This is what I wonder about the future. Will Disney eventually make it so inconvenient to open your room door, charge to your room, get the photo pass pics, ect, and God knows what else without the use of Magicband? They could do that to increase revenue stream.
You can do almost anything you can do with a magic band with a smart phone or watch.

I have no problem with this.

If you’re that determined to change a ressie so close to its time, pay the tenner per person.

Otherwise, make up your mind earlier.

Restaurants have to order prepped dishes and raw ingredients well ahead of a date for however many diners are expected. This is likely good news for them.

People rethink the higher end restaurants during their stay.
I will welcome an unexpected ressie that I couldn't get online.

I tried to cancel my Kona reservation 2 days after I made it at the 60 day mark and it told me that I had to call - so I haven't canceled it yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter