• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Wonder To Alaska August 7 2017

Debbie, to my knowledge no one has started one yet. But I hope some one does. ;-)

We are planning on second seating also.

I will be on board too and was wondering if anyone had started a Fish Extender group yet. I would love to join.
Debbie, Welcome aboard. I have added you to the roll call. If there is any info you'd like to share give a holler and i'll add that as well. (people in your party, home state/province, previous cruises etc.)

Hi everyone,,I finally found the boards! I'm already on the roll call as Wales,
Room assignment update is 6000 or 6500 , :-)

I'll step up to organise the FE, I love it! More details will follow for this early stage planners
Thank you so much for offering to organize the FE!
(That's the kind of thing that makes us love you so)
And I updated the roll call for you.

On the FE topic, I think we're probably going to skip it this time, but we'll see. But let us know what information you want.

Saxmangeoff, I was asked elsewhere, what is the one thing that a family from Australia shouldn't forget for an Alaska cruise. (They have never cruised or been to Alaska)
Since this is your 2nd time what do you suggest? I said swaters and a waterproof layer or maybe door magnets.

Saxmangeoff, I was asked elsewhere, what is the one thing that a family from Australia shouldn't forget for an Alaska cruise. (They have never cruised or been to Alaska)
Since this is your 2nd time what do you suggest? I said swaters and a waterproof layer or maybe door magnets.

Definitely layers. They have the slight advantage that they'll be coming over in their winter, so they may be somewhat acclimated. They can expect temperatures in the 10-20 C range (colder in Tracy Arm) with rain, sun, and heavy overcast all possible. My profile picture is of me and Mickey in Tracy Arm, and I'm wearing a sweatshirt. My son, however, who lives in Las Vegas, was bundled up in a heavy jacket. :teeth:

You'll want binoculars and camera, because you're going to see some of the most gorgeous places you've ever been. And make sure you know how to use the camera. This is not the time to be figuring out a new camera (or a new feature on your old camera).

If you want to do any reading up on the cruise before going, I highly recommend the "Alaska Cruise Handbook" by Joe Upton. It has detailed mile-by-mile descriptions of everything on the cruise, and the captain often refers to where you are in the book in his daily updates. I didn't have it last time, but have bought it and am reading it now for next year's trip.

The other thing I would say to be sure to bring is an openness to what happens. You might see a bear. You might not. You might get rain, you might get sun. Most of the cruise is near land, and there is a lot to enjoy. Go with whatever each day brings. On our Tracy Arm day last cruise, a CM told me it had been completely different the week before. It's nature. You roll the dice, you take what you get, and it's pretty much always awesome.

Hi all! This will be our 2nd Disney cruise. We haven't gone on our first yet, which sets sail Jan. 2017. Please add us to the list (Jungs). We are a family of four (2 young boys), from Southern CA, and it will be our first trip to Alaska. I would love to participate in the FE group! Thank you sew_obcessed for volunteering to organizing it!

Last edited:
We're excited for our first ever Disney Cruise! My husband and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary, and my parents will be celebrating their 45th, plus we'll be celebrating my son's 4th birthday! Such an exciting week! I've read so much about fish extenders and would love to join in on the fun. So would my parents! What do we need to do to get on the list?

We're excited for our first ever Disney Cruise! My husband and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary, and my parents will be celebrating their 45th, plus we'll be celebrating my son's 4th birthday! Such an exciting week! I've read so much about fish extenders and would love to join in on the fun. So would my parents! What do we need to do to get on the list?
Welcome aboard! I will update the roll call shortly. I know that Sew_obsessed is willing to organize the FE, and will have more details later. Keep watching this thread for more information.
I know that you and your family will love celebrating on the Wonder!

Hello!
New to the blog! My family and I just booked our Aug. 7 Alaska cruise yesterday! We can't wait! It's our 4th DC but our 1st one to Alaska. Can you believe I just learned what a Fish Extender Exchange was? I would love to join one!
Jen Vargas

What is everyone thinking they are bringing as far as wardrobe? Pants and t shirts and some shorts? What kinds of outerwear? Also- anyone organizing a Fish Extender Exchange?

The standard (and valid) answer is "layers". It can be warm and sunny, cold and rainy, or anything in between, even on the same day.

"Cold" and "warm" are relative terms, so I like to tell people to be prepared to be out and about on a 60F rainy day. Also, be prepared to be out and about on a 75F sunny day.

As for a fish extender group, we have had a volunteer. Check earlier in this thread.

Welcome, Alaskaherewecome family! For our 10th, we went to Disneyland with our 4 kids, and it was great. Now we're empty nesters, and it's great, too.

Welcome aboard to any one I have missed! My computer blew up (literally there was smoke and sparks) and I hate using my phone for this site.
I am finally booked and am so excited I am vibrating

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter