Disney Wonder - 6-13 June 2022 Quick Reflections

I did feel the age and smaller size of the ship. I think I'm a Dream/Fantasy person... DS was disappointed that there was no bunk bed and I really missed the convenience of the Vista Cafe.
In case you’re on a classic ship again, the lounges on deck 3 (French Quarter and Promenade) have the coffee machines. When I have sailed on the Wonder, I often got coffee from them instead of going all the way up to Cove.

Last edited:
It's an amazing cruise! Definitely my favourite trip of all time!

We're doing the 11 day Norway/Iceland/Scotland trip this year. We originally had three ports in Norway on the itinerary, but it's changed a couple times since then and now have two ports in Iceland and one in Norway.
Ah right, sounds like an awesome cruise all three locations are pretty amazing. Hope you have a magical time :-)

That must have been the late Golden Mickeys show as the early one was fine.

There was only a naturalist aboard after Ketchikan,

Yes, it was the late show.

I wondered why all the naturalist stuff was the last day. That was disappointing (and then we didn't end up making it to any of them anyway).

How did they do Palo if not the buffet? Was it a different menu or were mostly the same items offered just not self-service? I wasn't wowed by the brunch buffet on the Wonder in 2019 and I'm wondering if maybe going to table service might improve the quality of the menu.

How did they do Palo if not the buffet?
Fixed price with the ability to still order anything on the menu.
They brought out a mixed bread selection.
The appetizers were sized for one person - and they had a seafood platter and a meat/cheese platter.

There just wasn't the selection that I would have liked. The chicken parm and the pizza we got was fine...but I really enjoyed being able to select from the buffet.

Not sure a trip report is in my future, but here's my quick take on the good and the bad from our Alaska cruise. Also, happy to answer any questions.

The Good
  1. Best serving team ever. The Head Server and our main team were so kind and helpful. DS was sick for part of the trip (not covid) and they really went above and beyond to be helpful to me and DH.
  2. The views and wildlife. We saw way more whales, eagles, and other creatures than I expected.
  3. The excursions in Ketchikan and Juneau - The Bering Strait Crab Fisherman's Tour (booked independently) and the Juneau Photo Safari (land hike to view the glacier and then whale watching) were both totally awesome.
  4. Character Interactions. Yes, there was still distancing, but we had good conversations and lots of pictures. Also, the staff was always happy to tell you/find out who was coming next (since that still isn't posted in the Navigator)

The Bad/Unfortunate
  1. DS was sick before we even got on the ship, so that curtailed a lot of activities on the first part of the cruise. Not Disney's fault for sure, but definitely put a damper on things.
  2. The Weather. Yes, it didn't rain that much, but it was way colder than I expected (even when it was saying 50°F+). I could have swapped the shorts/swimsuit for an extra sweatshirt or two.
  3. Palo without the buffet - and I told Disney about it in the after-cruise survey. I wouldn't schedule it again unless they change it back.
  4. Golden Mickeys total show failure - they ended up cancelling it and re-showing it during the next day (so we didn't get to see it).
Other notes:
  • Cabana's was much better than when we were on the Dream in January.
  • I really liked the dinner shows in Tiana's Place and AP.
  • I did feel the age and smaller size of the ship. I think I'm a Dream/Fantasy person... DS was disappointed that there was no bunk bed and I really missed the convenience of the Vista Cafe.
  • Parts of Deck 2 and 5 still restricted for quarantine.
Just got back from the June 13 sailing and agree completely with the good. Adding to the good, it never rained once (sorry), all the ports had sunny weather in the upper 60’s. Never made it to Palo as we canceled when we saw the menu and extra pricing. All the entertainment was great. I am really responding because of a bad thing. My wife left her DVC cap in Cabana’s at lunch on our third day. When we realized it we went back and it was gone. We asked a cast member and they said if they found it they would have sent it to lost and found. We checked during the rest of the cruise and it never showed up. Someone found it and kept it. I might expect this at WDW but not on a cruise. Very disappointing.

Was Cabanas an option for dinner? ETA: asking because I listened to a trip report of someone who sailed in late May and it was not open for dinner.

Was Cabanas an option for dinner? ETA: asking because I listened to a trip report of someone who sailed in late May and it was not open for dinner.
No. Pool deck options and room service were available, although shawarma ended at 6pm and pizza was closed between 6pm and 9pm.

Yes, they offered both the beef/lamb and the chicken with lots of toppings. It's far better that then the other options at Pete's Boiler Bites.
We liked it but didn't love it. My son did love just a plate of pita bread though. /sigh

We also enjoy getting pita with hummus for an afternoon snack at the shawarma station. Sometimes they have chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, etc as well to make it a bit heartier.

We did deck 2 for Alaska and it was AMAZING. We saw several seals and sea lions at water level, including a group of them floating on an iceberg right outside our window. We initially booked a verandah for the 11 day Norway/Iceland/Scotland trip this summer, but switched to the same room we were in for Alaska (deck 2 aft) when it opened up.
Thanks for sharing this. I was a little worried about the choice of sea level vs the verandah but decided on sea level. Now I am so glad I did! My 11 year old will be thrilled if she gets to see a pod around the ice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter