Disney Wish - First reviews from the media cruise - biased?

Agreed. Disney's new method of inviting vloggers before customers is starting to bother me. It makes perfect sense on paper. Nearly free, very wide reaching advertising, almost guaranteed to be glowing reviews, and the chance to work kinks out before paying customers who will be vocal about the shortcomings. But, it's getting to the point where it's so off putting to me that it actually leaves a more negative opinion of Disney in my mind. It just feels so fake. I also dislike the personalities of most vloggers too.

My favorite was some guy who not only raved about the cool stuff, but also the most mundane hallways or nooks. I was having major second hand embarrassment - "this is amazing! Wow!"

On the other hand, I tune in because I want to see the new stuff. And the actual video has changed my mind on wanting to try the ship (I appear to be more of the exception). So I end up directly supporting it and feeding it more.

I also think it kinds of smells rotten to sell the maiden voyage to customers, when it really isn't. I think a much better approach would be to sell about 75% of the rooms, and invite vloggers to fill the rest. And spread out the Disney execs to have their turn over a year, so they get to experience the ship with paying customers, which will allow for a much more real experience and help improve the product from their input.

Perfect description of how I feel. - especially the part about Disney inviting vloggers before paying customers.. it's a slap in the face.I get doing a pre-MV cruise with celebrities, Disney executives, but freacking 'influencers' before your loyal clientele? such a bad call.

Are you referring to the guy with like 4 kids? He's so annoying and his excessive overjoy looks so contrived... when he goes on the verandah in his room and says: "OMG you guys look, the ocean!!.... *facepalm*
buddy, you're like 50, not 15, you sound so cringe... I seriously loathe these fake people who constantly hustle for freebies and call themselves 'influencers' ...

I also don't trust any of these reviews. Like, I'm SURE the food and service was AMAZING. Duh. The crew was probably threatened with their jobs if they didn't absolutely BRING IT for this media sailing. Of course everything and everyone will be on their A game.

I'll wait for the reviews of people sailing 6 months from now, when the shine has worn off.

At this point though, this ship is a pass for me, personally. I feel like this entire ship is geared exclusively towards parents with under 10s, and very wealthy childless adults. As a family with 2 older teen boys, I see nothing that is for us. I basically can't stand the Frozen dinner show concept either. It's obnoxious. That should have been set aside as a bookable experience.

Remember, the Wish is going to be the 3-4 night cruise ship for the next many many many years. The market for the 3-4 night are families with kids (well for Disney at least). The next ship hasn't even been started so they can tweak and change as they need for that one that will be the longer sailing ship. Honestly on the many cruises we have been in the adult areas are always very dead unless there is an event going on.

At this point though, this ship is a pass for me, personally. I feel like this entire ship is geared exclusively towards parents with under 10s, and very wealthy childless adults. As a family with 2 older teen boys, I see nothing that is for us. I basically can't stand the Frozen dinner show concept either. It's obnoxious. That should have been set aside as a bookable experience.
The Frozen dinner show is on par with Tiana’s (Wonder) and Rapunzel’s (Magic) now. I loved Rapunzel and I love what I’ve seen of the Frozen show too. Totally get it’s not for everyone though.

I am a childless adult but certainly not a wealthy one and I do agree with you that all the cool stuff (like the rainforest room) is geared towards people who want to pay extra. At the old ship prices I might have tried it on the Wish as that whole outdoor area looks amazing, but I could never justify paying the new prices on top of the cruise price.

But mostly I feel the whole ship was designed solely for kids and everyone else is an afterthought. I really hope I’m proved wrong!

I'm all for reviews. Having just sailed Princess newest ship I checked out every review on youtube
whether they sailed for free on not. I found majority reviews spot on to my experience.

That said having just watched several of the Wish video reviews I feel like this ship is too
"girly" and I have all daughters. It just feels "young". I'm not the biggest frozen fan but I like
Marvel and cringed seeing the restaurants. I want to eat in peace.

I love DCL and hope this ship succeeds in the target demo they are going after. It is not my family
however. We will keep our sailing date but will most likely be a one and done and go back to the other 4.

Last edited:
I also don't trust any of these reviews. Like, I'm SURE the food and service was AMAZING. Duh. The crew was probably threatened with their jobs if they didn't absolutely BRING IT for this media sailing. Of course everything and everyone will be on their A game.

I'll wait for the reviews of people sailing 6 months from now, when the shine has worn off.

Agreed. I would even dare and say families with Princess loving kids under 7… I always felt like the other Disney ships were great for everyone. Families with young kids, older kids, teens, grown kids, young adults, adults only and even grandma/grandpa. Our older is a boy 13. He is “young” for his age and loves Disney, always wants to go back to Disney World, loved our 5 Disney cruises (but was 9 on the last one we took in 2018)… and he’s the one that was pushing to try the Wish. I don’t know, I guess we’ll see. I have not said anything to him about my initial thoughts so far, hoping they (my kid and husband lol) won’t notice.
There are many teens coming on our Aug 29 sailing (according to our FB group) so I hope he will still love it, but I worry about my husband. I want to keep sailing on Disney and not have him say “no more” after the Wish.
It’s already becoming harder to convince him to go to Disney world each year after our recent 2 trips.

Agreed. I would even dare and say families with Princess loving kids under 7… I always felt like the other Disney ships were great for everyone. Families with young kids, older kids, teens, grown kids, young adults, adults only and even grandma/grandpa. Our older is a boy 13. He is “young” for his age and loves Disney, always wants to go back to Disney World, loved our 5 Disney cruises (but was 9 on the last one we took in 2018)… and he’s the one that was pushing to try the Wish. I don’t know, I guess we’ll see. I have not said anything to him about my initial thoughts so far, hoping they (my kid and husband lol) won’t notice.
There are many teens coming on our Aug 29 sailing (according to our FB group) so I hope he will still love it, but I worry about my husband. I want to keep sailing on Disney and not have him say “no more” after the Wish.
My boys are "young" too due to autism. They would probably like the Hero Zone, and would get a kick out of the kids club during open house hours, but I haven't seen ANY coverage of the teen spaces and my oldest will be 18 in a couple weeks and I see NOTHING in the adults areas that would interest him except the pool. He'd probably spend much of the day there or at the gym.

The over the top princess themeing is tacky to me. Sorry, not sorry. Not a girly girl. And the Hyperspace Lounge space is super disappointing (way too small, although the drinks look cool).

We've been wanting to go on the Fantasy, so I guess that will be our next cruise. I'm guessing there might finally be some deals on that ship.

As an old Travel Agent, companies have been giving perks for years. I got free( or highly discounted) cruises, resorts, airfare, tickets to parks, tours, shows, food... lots of food, trips to vacation spots around the world. Why? Because T.A.s need knowledge to do their job.
Vloggers need knowledge also to do their job.

Bias, really hard for anyone not to be, on any subject.

Last edited:
I noticed this, too. More expanded concierge areas, and smaller adult areas. So much coverage about those pretty multi-level suites, but if you're not wealthy, you can't afford those.

Even the expanded concierge areas aren't that great. They added 35 concierge staterooms but the sundeck hot tub looks like it will hold around 25 people and instead of adding a real pool, they added a couple of small wading pools. The lounge looks like it's full of high end finishes but lacks the open and airy feeling I was hoping for. Based on the focus DCL is putting on Concierge, I thought they'd go with a Haven type lounge and sundeck

As someone who enjoys(enjoyed??) sailing Concierge, the lounge and sundeck are the biggest misses for me.

I feel it's very underwhelming. It's basically an updated version the Dream and Fantasy with some new theming and locations for bars and restaurants. For a company that thrives on innovation, they missed the boat this time.
I don't think that at all. No more than I thought the Dream & Fantasy were updated versions of the Magic & Wonder.

Its a completely new design. It keeps some traditional Disney touches from the previous classes. But they started with a clean sheet of paper and included a bunch of new, innovative things.

I will be a first time cruiser on the wish...

Now Great. I never cruised ever and Disney is gonna be my first. I canceled my dream cruise cause of Covid last year for the holiday party and got the wish instead for Christmas holiday party for 50 dollars more. I haven’t looked at any photos but this thread now has me worried about even trying

No kids but HUGE Disney fans

Last edited:
We are on the maiden voyage and the following DVC sailing and couldn't be more excited about our upcoming adventures. We have two kids that will be sailing with my wife and I, but they re both adults now. This will be our first Disney sailing where all of us can enter the adult areas and restaurants. Kind of looking forward to that, although it's a little odd to have drinks in a bar with your kids. :) All of the coverage by influencers, mainstream media and video bloggers has only heightened our anticipation to get on board and explore. We have sailed nearly every itinerary category Disney offers, although these next two cruises are about the ship and not the destinations. Lately we have been on Celebrity and RCCL cruises and can't wait to get back to Disney. Super excited about Enchanté and the new Palos concept. Both restaurants look amazing and the Rose bar, especially at night looks to be a fantastic place to hangout. I appreciate that DCL kept the fundamentals of their cruise concept, such as split bathrooms and rotational dining of which we missed with the other cruise lines, but are pushing experiences to be more encompassing and immersive. The Celebrity Apex was nice, but kind of boring and the RCCL ships were just generic. The Disney Wish looks to be anything but that... 12 more days! :)

I'm in the process of switching my scheduled Wish cruise to one of the original fab four. I don't like the lack of ocean/sailing theming, the lack of a real promenade, lack of Remy, the princess/Marvel stuff too much in your face, and the smaller adult areas. And no, I can't afford those suites, either, so all the hype about those means nothing to me. Was willing to give it a try because it worked for my schedule, thinking it had to be better than early plans indicated, but imo it won't be what I want in a cruise.
They do have Enchante instead of Remy, which I assume hits the same mark as far as upscale dining goes.

Agreed. Disney's new method of inviting vloggers before customers is starting to bother me. It makes perfect sense on paper. Nearly free, very wide reaching advertising, almost guaranteed to be glowing reviews, and the chance to work kinks out before paying customers who will be vocal about the shortcomings. But, it's getting to the point where it's so off putting to me that it actually leaves a more negative opinion of Disney in my mind. It just feels so fake. I also dislike the personalities of most vloggers too.

My favorite was some guy who not only raved about the cool stuff, but also the most mundane hallways or nooks. I was having major second hand embarrassment - "this is amazing! Wow!"

On the other hand, I tune in because I want to see the new stuff. And the actual video has changed my mind on wanting to try the ship (I appear to be more of the exception). So I end up directly supporting it and feeding it more.

I also think it kinds of smells rotten to sell the maiden voyage to customers, when it really isn't. I think a much better approach would be to sell about 75% of the rooms, and invite vloggers to fill the rest. And spread out the Disney execs to have their turn over a year, so they get to experience the ship with paying customers, which will allow for a much more real experience and help improve the product from their input.

I'm trying hard not to feel irked about it, but I don't recall them doing "christening" cruises before either and I admit it is definitely taking some of the wind out of my sails at being "first". Now we feel like second class citizens to their chosen ones. OK I guess I AM obviously irked... I certainly do not feel like its as big a deal as I thought it might be now. It was exciting thinking I could answer questions and get the info out there for the DIS but that is all done, so now its "just" a regular cruise really. First suckers to pay is all, not first guests anymore.

We are booked on the Wish Aug 29 2022, obviously past final payment date now and if I could I would seriously change to another Disney ship. We have been on 5 Disney cruises, Magic, Wonder & Fantasy. Our last DCL cruise was in 2018. Since then we went on 2 Royal Caribbean and we actually really enjoyed them too, but been looking for to going back on Disney. Looking at the first few glimpses of the Wish… seems over the top with Princess theme, and lacking that classic nautical ocean liner feel DCL is famous for…
i hope I’m wrong and that’s not at all how it is… but right now I feel like IF you are a family with little Princess obsessed kids under 7 maybe… with an obscene amount of $ to blow on Princess makeovers etc… then this ship is for you.
There is a Disney Dream sailing same date out of Miami about $1500 less (for a guaranteed veranda mind you) than we are paying for 5C verandah on the Wish… but I’m guessing to late to do anything about it now. I would even switch to Disney Fantasy and not do as much of WDW beforehand.
Sure hope these initial thoughts on the Wish are totally unjustified…

They really did make good on their promise of a castle at sea and not a ship at sea...

If I was paying $$$$ to be on the maiden voyage, I would be very annoyed by the vloggers trying to be in the front row of everything with camera equipment out and in the way and vlogging/streaming constantly when I’m trying to enjoy my cruise. I’m assuming that is part of the reason why they do it on a separate cruise ahead of paying customers. It is very annoying to be near someone who is narrating their entire experience while they’re walking around.

If you’re on an influencer cruise, you know you’re going to end up in the background of someone’s footage. On a regular cruise, I’d assume I might end up in someone’s personal vacation pictures or video, but not someone with a following.

I also tend to enjoy Disney “influencer” content that is done in voice over or where they are stationary talking to the camera about what they just did, rather than watching the other style, so maybe I’m more sensitive to it.

I doubt it - the vloggers with any morals are being honest that THIS cruise was free, and are saving their actual opinions for paid cruises. Many of them were already booked on the Maiden before they were invited on the Christening and I imagine they did not cancel. We fully anticipate dealing with self absorbed folks and camera equipment every where we turn in a couple weeks regardless. There are plenty of folks who do this for a living that were not invited.

That spectacle is actually one of the reasons we wanted to cruise on the Maiden; we enjoy a little friendly mayhem. The 50% off we ended up with was very welcome too though; I don't regret picking this sailing over others as much as I would have if we were still paying full price after the Christening was suddenly on the books.

I solemnly swear to give honest opinions on this ship, that is for sure, and if you don't trust me after what I just said above and my history posting then I don't know what to tell you. EasyWDW (RIP) was one of my favourite bloggers for just that reason (that and his always on point humor), though it meant he was never invited anywhere for free.

Inviting media is not new. I retired from TV news and we would get offers from Disney 42 years ago. The things that has changed is with the advent of cell phones. Facebook live etc where Disney can't control what is being recorded and sent out.
Case in point, when Disneyland reopened after the pandemic, no media were allowed in for several weeks. We had a reporter on opening day with his cell phone out on the sidewalk outside the main entrance doing live reports, and he got people who were going inside to send him video THEY shot with their cell phones.

The loud dinner shows are the one thing that might keep us from trying it. The Marvel one looked particularly obnoxious. Like watching a very bad marvel movie on the screens for 95% of the show.

I thought the Rapunzel show on the Magic would be harmless, if not entertaining. But it was mostly just loud and a detraction. I feel the same way about the Crush show. I mostly just want to enjoy dinner in a relaxing atmosphere. Any entertainment should be subtle and compliment the dining experience. The time to wow me with productions is in the theater. But that's just a personal preference.

We'll get a better idea from paying customers, for sure. My concern is so many Cruise Vloggers seem to have a chip against Disney. Two I follow had never been on a Disney cruise. One of them this year finally went. He was very disappointed in the lack of a casino, which I think is something that a paying customer might feel differently about.
And of course my perspective is different because they Vloggers have made themselves self appointed cruise experts. One has only been cruising only 5 years, and makes a good living off his YouTube channel. But his perspective is different than mine as someone who has been cruising since 1980.

It seems like they had to go to a reservation system as it only holds 50 guests at a time.
Why does Disney keep doing that?! They know it's going to be a popular place so why not make it big enough to accommodate everyone rather than add stress tothe trip with trying to get reservations and feeling like you missed out if you paid all of that money and couldn't get to enjoy it. The same with Oga's or their newer rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter