Disney vacation photo books?

twinspluscade

DIS Veteran
After our (non-Disney) vacation this past May, I made a photo book on Shutterfly. It was fun to make, and I thought it turned out decent.

I'd like to make another photo book after our Disney vacation. I'll probably go with Shutterfly again, since it was easy and I liked the final result. I did do a Disney photo book about six/seven years ago through Disney's photopass website. It turned out really good, but was expensive (Shutterfly is much cheaper).

Are there any other photo book sites I should take a look at? I know most of them won't be Disney themed per se, but since I plan on buying Memory Maker I can add the Disney borders and stickers to the photos on the MM website anyway.

I usually use SnapFish, mostly because that's where I upload all my photos to anyway. Not sure about price comparisons because I haven't used Shutterfly but they usually have sales and coupon codes they send out. You might want to make an account before-hand just to see what you get.

I love mixbook..have made close to 50 books on that site.

I like that I can upload digital scrapbook elements and use them in my books. So I download free or buy Disney themed scrapbook elements to use in my books.

Kellybell Designs in one of my favorite...and her store is having a rare 50% off sale this weekend! - www.kellybelldesigns.com

I love mixbook..have made close to 50 books on that site.

I like that I can upload digital scrapbook elements and use them in my books. So I download free or buy Disney themed scrapbook elements to use in my books.

Kellybell Designs in one of my favorite...and her store is having a rare 50% off sale this weekend! - www.kellybelldesigns.com

ateam - Do you have a site you recommend for learning how to do digital scrapbooking? I have always done the "old-fashioned" kind....and am whoa-fully behind in getting them done. Doing them digitally might speed up the process. I was reading on the kellybell designs and the lingo is so foreign to me. Pocket style? I've used smilebox and snapfish and shutterfly.....those are easy to do. However, I'm curious about this digital scrapbooking. If you have a link to a good tutorial site, I'd love it! Thanks!:goodvibes

OP - One of the big sites (shutterfly or snapfish, can't remember) has a few Disney page options....princesses, Cars (but they didn't let you mix and match the last time I checked - so if you have princess pages, your entire book is princess pages). Have fun preserving your memories! :thumbsup2

Another vote for Mixbook. They have specials running every week for discounts on books, cards, etc. There is a tutorial on the website.

I've made 2 Disney photo books through Disney itself. I've also used Picaboo to make one which I really liked. I was able to search thru Picaboo for Disney related photos that I could use as a background. Hope I'm making sense. I also receive emails with coupons etc.

I've used both Picaboo and Shutterfly with success. Definitely sign up for a few email lists so you get the coupon codes. They usually have good discounts or even free photo books every couple months. Shutterfly just had a free photobook special, 20 pages 8x8, then you could pay to upgrade to a larger size or more pages.

I've made more than a dozen books through Shutterfly and have been happy with them all. And as a bonus, they offer good discounts fairly regularly, bringing the cost way down. There's also a groupon/living social/amazon local deal pretty regularly as well. And they send out a code for a free book every now and then as well. All in all, the price is right, and their quality is good.

Unlike a previous poster, I have to say that I do not like Snapfish at all. Not for photos, not for photobooks. I haven't gotten a good print from them, in any format, ever.

I print most of my photos at persnicketyprints.com. Their quality's top notch, they're fast and reliable, and their customer service has been really great. They also print photobooks, but I haven't made one through them yet. That's on my to-do list, to see if it's a significant upgrade from my usual Shutterfly books. :)

PrincessP, I'm also a scrapbooker. There's a lot to be said for digital scrapbooking - it can really streamline things (no photos to print, fewer design decisions when you use a template, etc). And it can save time, because there's nothing to set up or clean up. But for me, I find I still like to get my hands on the paper and embellishments. So I do a little digital scrapbooking, but also mix in a hefty dose of traditional scrapping + some pocket scrapbooking. That's another possibility if you want to "catch up" and streamline the process. There are lots of product lines available for this nowadays, but the original is Project Life - if you search Pinterest for "project life layout" or something similar, you'll see thousands of examples. The basic idea, though, is that the page protectors are divided into pockets (mostly 4x6 or 3x4, some have other sizes as well). You slip your photos and memorabilia into the pockets, along with journaling cards/bits of paper that tell your story. Boom, you're done with a layout. You can add additional embellishment if you want, but it's not necessary. You can even take your pocket-style scrapbooking digital, if you want. Personally, I digi scrap using Adobe Elements, which is sort of a "lite" version of Photoshop. It's pretty easy to learn, especially if you're already relatively computer-savvy. If you can put together a book using Shutterfly's custom path, it shouldn't be tough to learn to scrapbook via Elements. I also use Elements to edit my photos before printing, so it's open on my desktop pretty regularly! I like having one program that does everything I might want to with my photos.... But there are other options out there.

Back on topic: I'm a fan of Shutterfly, and I've heard very good things about Picaboo. I say go with the one you're happiest using. :)

Check out Walgreen's. I have made many books there and they have great themes that are easily adapted to disney vacations. Once you have some pix uploaded, you will also receive 50% off coupons, free 8x10 enlargements and free pocket book sized photobooks(20 pages, 5x7 softcover books) - I have used that one several times, I keep a book made up in my account there and when I get a coupon, I order it.

I have used Shutterfly for years. I have used several different sites over the years, to get different deals, but I have found Shutterfly products to be of highest quality. My tip is to make photobooks through their website, save them to "my projects" and then order them as specials become available. I make a calendar every year, and order copies for myself, MIL and my aunt. People swoon over my brightly colored, personalized calendars. And after I entered all my personal birthdays, etc. for the first calendar, it's one click to add them to every calendar after that. I have a Shutterfly app on my phone that uploads my photos to their website. I would LOVE to get more into digital scrapbooking and make my photobooks even more customized, but for now, at least I'm chronicling something in my crazy, busy life.

I have used Shutterfly for years. I have used several different sites over the years, to get different deals, but I have found Shutterfly products to be of highest quality. My tip is to make photobooks through their website, save them to "my projects" and then order them as specials become available. I make a calendar every year, and order copies for myself, MIL and my aunt. People swoon over my brightly colored, personalized calendars. And after I entered all my personal birthdays, etc. for the first calendar, it's one click to add them to every calendar after that. I have a Shutterfly app on my phone that uploads my photos to their website. I would LOVE to get more into digital scrapbooking and make my photobooks even more customized, but for now, at least I'm chronicling something in my crazy, busy life.

That's a great tip, thank you! Never occurred to me to just save a project until a sale came up.

I've tried to get myself motivated to do scrapbooking, but I just don't have to patience to learn it all and too much detail work for me. Photo books I can do quickly and easily and so I've been wanting to do more, especially since we purchased MM for our next trip!

Blurb is great. The quality is fantastic. It will take you longer to finish, though, because there are so many more options than there are with other companies.

Shutterfly is good. Not quite as nice as blurb, but good quality and easy.

Picaboo is decent. Not quite as nice as Shutterfly, but still pretty good.

Snapfish is okay. They look fine on their own, but you can really tell the difference in quality when you compare it to a book from Shutterfly or Blurb.

if you are a costco member, i would recommend them (you can find the photobook maker online and pickup at the warehouse). i used them and was very pleased with the result.

I made our last disney vacation book through Walgreens. It came out super nice best photo book I ever made. It was like 70 pages though (I am camera happy on vacation lol) so it was a tad expensive but definitely worth it

ateam - Do you have a site you recommend for learning how to do digital scrapbooking? I have always done the "old-fashioned" kind....and am whoa-fully behind in getting them done. Doing them digitally might speed up the process. I was reading on the kellybell designs and the lingo is so foreign to me. Pocket style? I've used smilebox and snapfish and shutterfly.....those are easy to do. However, I'm curious about this digital scrapbooking. If you have a link to a good tutorial site, I'd love it! Thanks!:goodvibes

Mixbook has a bunch of templates that come with digital elements already (for free). You are basically looked at elements (mixbook stickers) and papers (mixbook backgrounds). The items you would download from Kellybell you would then upload into Mixbook as backgrounds (papers) or stickers (ANYTHING on her site).

I think if you just start with a sample mixbook and start playing around...you'll see how the stickers work..and you'll see how you could use KellyBell's instead. Her will come in a zip file with each element as a different file...you then upload the elements as stickers individually.

I also create the books, save them and wait for a sale. I currently have 3 waiting and have 2 more to make BEFORE our Disney trip.

Here is a link to our last Disney trip book done via Mixbook using mostly KellyBell design elements.

Link to Mixbook

This is a really helpful thread.
I make my pages in PhotoShop Elements and just upload one photo per pg so I don't need the backgrounds and stuff.

I've been using Winkflash for years to make a yearly photo book. However they've changed owners and I'm finding it difficult to make my book this year. (And haven't even started my disney trip book!) So am looking for a new vendor.
One hint -- I've noticed that the books/prints come out a little darker than they look on the screen. The first Disney book I bought through Disney (2007) was especially dark, I thought. So I generally make most of my photos about 10% lighter than looks optimal on the screen.

Mixbook has a bunch of templates that come with digital elements already (for free). You are basically looked at elements (mixbook stickers) and papers (mixbook backgrounds). The items you would download from Kellybell you would then upload into Mixbook as backgrounds (papers) or stickers (ANYTHING on her site).

I think if you just start with a sample mixbook and start playing around...you'll see how the stickers work..and you'll see how you could use KellyBell's instead. Her will come in a zip file with each element as a different file...you then upload the elements as stickers individually.

I also create the books, save them and wait for a sale. I currently have 3 waiting and have 2 more to make BEFORE our Disney trip.

Here is a link to our last Disney trip book done via Mixbook using mostly KellyBell design elements.

Link to Mixbook

That is a really awesome site! I love all the MM heads and everything..that's one thing I wish shutterfly had! Is it just as easy to use mixbook as it is shutterfly?

I really may have to look at this site for doing our Disney photo books...

Blurb all the way. If you use Lightroom to process your photos Blurb is built right in - and you get a 25% discount on your first order.

I used Snapfish for my last Disney trip since they had Disney backgrounds.

But I prefer Shutterfly. On my next trip I will be using Shutterfly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter