Disney to Close Pools Overnight

I am just going to pretend that I did not see this article by Kevin Yee. If I didn't see it, it doesn't exist....

Not a late night swimmer, but definitely a late night and an early morning user of the hot tubs.

Stormalong bays fence doesnt detract from its attractiveness because the pool itself is the attraction but some other resorts (poly, wl) attraction is the ambiance and sorrounding/view.

Im going to update my first post with pics of the pools so people can see the current beauty

Sincere question, and although I quoted you, its come up from numerous other people: If lifeguarded pools are a big reason you choose Disney, they you make that choice for you family only to go when the lifeguards are on duty. Why should your love of lifeguards make the choice for me when/if I choose to go swimming without one? This is literally people making a choice that only affects them. You don't want to swim without a guard? Then don't get in the pool. If I want to swim/allow my child to swim without a guard then I should be able to. It's my responsibility and I have no one to blame but myself. My swimming (responsibly) has literally no impact on your life.

Now, if I should create a disturbance/noise, that's another thing, but if I respectfully and responsibly swim, it has literally zero affect on your life.

It's not like the poster (or any poster) made the decision to close the pools (if the rumor is true).

If true, whatever the reason may be, Disney can do what they choose...it will most likely cost them a few customers, which is completely understandable.

Fences around all pools was a State requirement they have not complied with for a while and they had to add one by a certain date anyway.

Exactly. It is now Florida state law that resort pools have a barrier around them. I guess Disney's resorts were "grandfathered" in for a while since most of their pools pre-date the law. But I would imagine any upgrades to pools would necessitate compliance with the law. Like it or not, they have to follow the law.

We too, are late swimmers. That was the most enjoyable time of the long, hot day to swim. Most of the kids are in bed and it is quiet, peaceful and relaxing. Quite frankly, I think they are making this rule to save more money and provide more profit for their share holders. After eleven, they can service the pool and do other maintenance. Also, they can reduce the cost for their insurance premiums. The service at the "World" has gone seriously downhill this century. This may be the last nail in the coffin for us.

I can't imagine what they will do with a pool like the quiet pool at the BCV. If they have to take all the guests through the hallways there will be a ton of people that will never want the first floor ever again.:confused3 Talk about loud it will be a major walkway down the hall around the pool, not to mention inconvenient.

If it is law then i hope disney puts its imagineers to the task. Perhaps floral decorative fences, or ones that come up out the floor when the pool is closed?

Fences around all pools was a State requirement they have not complied with for a while and they had to add one by a certain date anyway. Considering the new pool deck at the Polynesian will extend up to the GCH with the new wet play area I have heard talk of the fence being just outside the GCH and keeping people from entering the pool and beach area. I don’t envision a fence just a few feet off the pool itself and I don’t see them making it block the view of the beach and castle. That is why I believe the beach will be off limits to non-resort guests....but I could be wrong.

Isn't there a boat dock there? What you're saying makes sense but would that mean no boats after 11?

Isn't there a boat dock there? What you're saying makes sense but would that mean no boats after 11?

The marina dock could be outside the fence but you have a good point. If the beach were behind the same fence then there would be no access to the beach after 11:00 either. I guess we will have to wait and see where they put the fence.

Maybe the Imagineers will develop Magic Band technology that works like those Invisible Fence dog collars.

invisible-fence-sign-fishers.jpg

I am hoping they do fence in the Poly pool and you need a wrist band to get in at all times. We have been hoping for this for years! It will stop most of the people from coming in that don't belong there.

Just curious...If it is a state law to fence in all pools, does that also mean that resort guests cannot swim without a lifeguard? Can't they fence in pools (according to state law) but allow guests access to the pool after the lifeguards leave?

I understand that some pools are closed and locked at certain times of night but others state, swim at your own risk after lifeguard hours.

....on pg 14 section h of the CHAPTER 64E-9 PUBLIC SWIMMING POOLS AND BATHING PLACES:

All public pools shall be surrounded by a minimum 48 inch high fence or other substantial barrier approved by the department. The fence shall be continuous around the perimeter of the pool area that is not otherwise blocked or obstructed by adjacent buildings or structures and shall adjoin with itself or abut to the adjacent members. Access through the barrier or fence from dwelling units such as homes, apartments, motel rooms, and hotel rooms, shall be through self-closing self-latching lockable gates of 48 inch minimal height from the floor or ground with the latch located a minimum of 54 inches from the bottom of the gate or at least 3 inches below the top of the gate on the pool side. If the self-closing self-latching gate is also self-locking and is operated by a key lock, electronic opener, or integral combination lock, then the operable parts of such locks or openers shall be 34 inches minimum and 48 inches maximum above the finished floor or ground. Doored access points from public rooms such as lobbies or club houses need not be through gates. Gates shall open outward away from the pool area. A latched, lockable gate shall be placed in the fence within ten feet of the closest point between the pool and the equipment area for service access. http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Environment/water/swim/pdfs/64E-9_FAC_Draft_Rev7_no_strike.pdf

I don't mind the fence.

Fenced pools are fine when the pool area was designed for it! Retrofitting will block walkways and send people around the long way or through first floor halls instead, increasing noise inside.

During the days you will have to "card through" some pools to use the walkways.

WL is a problem with a major pathway. You'll have to walk the far way around past the lobby from the villas to the boat dock.

BC's leisure pool is where the laundry is! I think there are others where the laundry is poolside.

24 hour pools has always been a special extra at WDW. It's really sad to see it go.

Wow. This is terrible news. 24 hr swimming has always been a great treat for us. What about pools whose lifeguards leave early? I am pretty sure the lifeguards leave AKL pool at 9pm. Does that mean the pool will close at 9pm? I also agree that the " look" of the fenced pools at many resorts is sure going to ruin the view and design.

I doubt that Disney is just going to haphazardly slap up fences around the pools. My guess is that they will re-landscape, to include paving around, where necessary, in order to maintain the aesthetics of the pool areas.

I doubt that Disney is just going to haphazardly slap up fences around the pools. My guess is that they will re-landscape, to include paving around, where necessary, in order to maintain the aesthetics of the pool areas.

This. :thumbsup2

Disney even puts landscaping up around temporary construction walls. They are most certainly not going to put up an ugly permanent fence.

The new one at GF fits the resort perfectly, IMHO.

And the fences may stop the pool hopping issue once and for all. I don't see a negative to this at all. :confused3

Debbie your pic is alittle reassuring but thats how the californian was built. The pathways at resorts that werent built with a fence will have to be comepletely redon.e. tikiman i hope they dont restrict beach access untill 11. Not bieng able to go to my own resorts pool after 11 is bad enough, but limiting the grounds until 11 feels like im on time out. Especially at the beautiful poly.
The electric dog collar idea is brilliant ahahaa.
I wish id known about these plans and the extent of them sooner so that i wouldve planned an earlier trip to enjoy these perks one last time.
I may be in the minority but we have no little ones and like to stroll around our resort and pool at 1am after a day at the parks (we are used to the west coast timezone)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter