"Disney through the Years" January Exercise Challenge

:woohoo::woohoo:Doin' the Friday dance!!

I didn't get any minutes in yesterday myself, but the team is up to 31%, with 3,852 combined minutes!!
:rainbow: Princessbee :tigger:
has reached optimistic orange!!! And sophy1996 is closing in fast on powerful purple!

We haven't been hearing from too many people the last couple of days, but I'm guessing they're just not on the computer, and I hope to be posting a lot of updates over the weekend!

We're up to 1949 in our Disney years, with the releases of So Dear to My Heart (another live action & animation combination, based on the Sterling North book Midnight and Jeremiah) and The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad:

a 1949 animated package film produced by Walt Disney Productions and released by RKO Radio Pictures. The film consists of two segments – the first is based on the 1908 children's novel The Wind in the Willows by British author Kenneth Grahame, and the second is based on the 1820 short story "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,"...by American author Washington Irving. (Wikipedia.org)

We've made it to the weekend again!!

15 minutes for me yesterday. I'm at 170/465.

We have our very first powerful purple - :figment: sophy1996 :figment: - Congrats on the race and the color change!!!

The team total is up to 33%, and we're up to 1950 in our Disney release calendar. - It was a big year, with both Cinderella and Treasure Island released.

If you're up for a little trivia, here's a Cinderella Quiz:
https://ohmy.disney.com/insider/2014/09/04/the-ultimate-cinderella-trivia-quiz/

(I scored an abysmal 9 out of 31, so it has clearly been too long since I've watched the movie!)

Walt also aired his first television show - a Christmas Day special titled One Hour in Wonderland.
Here's a synopsis from the Disney Wiki:

Edgar Bergen informs Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd that Walt Disney has invited them to a tea party. Charlie is hesitant to go, but reluctantly changes his mind when he learns Kathryn Beaumont will be there. While driving to the studio, Edgar tells the story of Alice in Wonderland, much to Charlie's dismay. When they arrive, Walt Disney tells everyone that he was able to buy the Magic Mirror from Snow White (who apparently got it from the Wicked Queen). Charlie insults the mirror, calling it a "hopped-up television set." This enrages the mirror but Walt calms him down. The Mirror then shows everybody what they wish to see. He shows Kathryn a scene from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Charlie the Mickey Mouse short Clock Cleaners (although Charlie wanted to see himself), Bobby Driscoll a Br'er Rabbit story, Mortimer a Pluto short, and Edgar a performance by Firehouse Five Plus Two. At the end of the song, they see Walt, and frantically finish a scene with Tweedledee and Tweedledum. The Mirror at first refuses to show the unfinished Alice in Wonderland, but changes his mind when everyone wants to see it. The Mirror then reluctantly shows a scene from Alice in Wonderland. At the end of the special, Edgar has acquired the Magic Mirror. Charlie tries to make a deal with the mirror, but it turns out Mortimer is the new slave of the magic mirror. Charlie changes his mind and goes to sleep.

Make some time for exercise this weekend, and have a great day!!

Good morning, everyone!!

Just 10 new minutes for me, but we have two color changes :rainbow: -

Congrats to :figment:scdak, who has reached powerful purple,
and :ccat:sophy1996, who has jumped in one day to promising pink!

We're up to 1951, with the release of Alice in Wonderland.

Some Alice trivia from IMDb:

This movie is actually a combination of Lewis Carroll's two "Alice" books, "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass". Already during Lewis Carroll's lifetime, the character of the Queen of Hearts was confused and conflated with the Red Queen, a chess queen depicted in the second novel, and the Disney version of the Queen of Hearts uses some of the dialogue of the Red Queen. Tweedledee and Tweedledum (traditional nursery rhyme characters before the books) also appear in Looking Glass, not Wonderland. The Doorknob was the only character in the film that did not appear in Lewis Carroll's books.

In the Walrus and the Carpenter sequence, the R in the word "March" on the mother oyster's calendar flashes. This alludes to the old adage about only eating oysters in a month with an R in its name. That is because those months without an R (May, June, July, August) are the summer months in England, when oysters would not keep due to the heat, in the days before refrigeration.

Also in the Walrus and the Carpenter sequence, the dates on the calendar are the same as they would be in March 2010, when Disney would release Alice in Wonderland (2010), directed by Tim Burton.

In the scene where Alice grows and gets stuck in the White Rabbit's house, if you look closely at the DoDo bird's flame as he lights his pipe, there is a hidden Mickey flickering in the flame.

The Mad Hatter is apparently based on the phrase "mad as a hatter" which has a historical basis. In the hat industry of the 19th century there was extensive use of mercury. Liquid mercury is one of the causes of mercury poisoning, which (among other things) causes brain damage. Among the symptoms are slurred speech, memory loss, and tremors, behavior that can be seen as insane.

Kathryn Beaumont, who was the voice of Alice, narrates the "Alice in Wonderland" ride at Disneyland and is also known for voicing Wendy Darling in Peter Pan. She was asked to continue voicing the two characters in later Disney projects until her retirement in 2005. Both characters have since been voiced by Hynden Walch.

The song "Beyond the Laughing Sky" was intended to serve as the first song for Alice. It was one of many songs that did not make the final version of the film, and was later reworked into "The Second Star to the Right" and served as the title song for Peter Pan.

For lots more, click here - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043274/trivia

And speaking of Wonderland, has anyone seen Happyinwonderland around the boards? I don't have a report from her yet.

Otherwise, team totals are at 4,623/12,540 (which is 37%).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!