Disney Springs Brightline High-Speed Rail Station Cancelled

Liquidice

DIS Veteran
https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando...ndo-walt-disney-world-brightline-station.html

The reasoning given is that the route for the train was moved from State Road 417 to instead moving along State Road 528 through International Drive and down I-4. This route was preferred by the city of Orlando, Orange County and Universal Orlando resort as the train will now pass close to Universal's new Epic Universe.

“As many people who are involved in this project are aware, the new route configuration does not support a Disney Springs station and as a result, we don’t anticipate being part of this project," Disney spokesperson Avery Maehrer told Orlando Business Journal.

Its too bad that the Disney Springs station was cancelled as many touted it as a possibly replacement for Disney's Magical Express although Mears Connect and Sunshine Flyer have mostly replaced DME even though they are paid options.

As a resident of south Florida I don’t care where in the Orlando area it stops as long as they hurry up and build it. That’s part of my DVC retirement plan where I no longer have to make the 3-4 hour drive I can just ride the train up and have my owners locker waiting for me when I arrive. I hope there’s not the learning curve of not stopping on the tracks or going around the arm because it seems there’s an accident every month with someone getting hit by the brightline. I know they had to slow it down around here because of it.

Note that the "many" never included Disney. It was all just speculation or wishful thinking when DME was closed.

Yeah I know Disney never said that - it just was mentioned often on these boards and groups like DVC Fan when DME was cancelled that Brightline was coming - some even went as far as saying Disney cancelled DME because Brightline would be the replacement. I'm not arguing that this ever was the case - just repeating what others have said.

It is imho disappointing though that the Disney Springs station is not happening as it provided another option to get on property - and more options is not a bad thing.

Brightline was never suppose
Yeah I know Disney never said that - it just was mentioned often on these boards and groups like DVC Fan when DME was cancelled that Brightline was coming - some even went as far as saying Disney cancelled DME because Brightline would be the replacement. I'm not arguing that this ever was the case - just repeating what others have said.

It is imho disappointing though that the Disney Springs station is not happening as it provided another option to get on property - and more options is not a bad thing.
Disney never said Brightline was a replacement for DME. It was years away. The blogs drummed it up as clickbait. It would never have worked. It runs once an hour, you would have a huge line at MCO waiting and there would be people already on the train. Then they would all be dropped off at Disney Springs. Then what? Then they added 2 stops after MCO. It would take forever.

Was this a Disney decision to not do a station or is it just not feasible to fit one in on the new route? (I cannot find a map of the route, so no idea how close the train gets.

Was this a Disney decision to not do a station or is it just not feasible to fit one in on the new route? (I cannot find a map of the route, so no idea how close the train gets.
The statement came from Disney so I'd say it was their decision.

I'd say the answer is both. Disney decided not to attempt to connect to the line because it wasn't feasible (i.e. the cost would be too high) with the new route.

Actually the reporting comes from Orlando Business Journal direct from Brightline as OP shared .... and all the bloggers reporting copied it from them.

"Brightline confirms alternative train station near Disney — but not on property — in the works"

The original plan that Disney could be a part of the route never made sense for Orlando, and was sure to run into lots of opposition. It did, neighborhoods fought it coming through the suburban area east of Disney AND the I-Drive, Convention area, Universal, City of Orlando all fought that it only made sense for it to come closer to them. Why Convention Center wasn't a priority from the beginning I don't know. Add that Universal was offering to donate 13 acres and money for a Convention Center Station (close by Epic Universe), a station that would also host SunRail. From there it would travel down I-4 corridor to Tampa. They said there would be another station in the South International area that Disney guests could ride to then transfer to ride share/taxi ... but it is not property owned by Disney and not revealed.

From the Airport to Tampa via Convention Center is part of Phase III. It has secured some grants but published reports are it won't even start construction until 2025 with a completion date in 2028. Design work, purchasing right-aways etc all take time. Now that they have shifted the route, it's obvious none of that had started yet.

Mickey Views has an interesting perspective on this change ...
For all the conjecture and spin, the new route has the same issue as the original plan to Tampa. Overly expensive for the benefit. A projection in April of this year was $1B+ for southern route, and $2B+ for this Sunshine Corridor route. In the video provided by @Liquidice , the content makes only a passing reference to the funding of the route through the city. Universal may be wholly on board, and apparently contributing millions.
MyNews13 -> "Universe expansion to Universal Studios Orlando and its commitment to “support the dedicated entity’s financing of up to $125 million in private activity bonds to be used to fund the rail corridor and the Convention Center station,” according to the presentation. Universal and Orlando’s Right Rail group stated a guarantee of '$13 million in annual ticket sales for the new Sunshine Corridor through the dedicated public entity.' "

While Universal may be kicking in the 10% increase in cost, Disney may be wise in announcing withdrawal of support. Will this bring forward the issue of how to fund the changed routing? Significant differences in cost, according to DFB. And without access to WDW funds, due to increase in loan costs by repealing RCID so WDW cannot use municipal bonds but only corporate bonding facilities, makes you go hmmmmm.
DFB MCO to WDW -> "Brightline preferred the State Road 417 route. That one had an estimated cost of $1.03 billion. The State Road 528 route was estimated to cost $2.1 billion, but it would go through I-Drive, a portion of Orlando that is home to lots of tourist attractions."

My News 13 (linked above, and issued today) suggests talks are ongoing. The transit authority would certainly love to have WDW support, if only for the marketing buzz. What would it take to bring TWDC back to the table, another act by the Florida state legislature?

This is far from over.

I'm seriously doubting this section of the line (the section from MCO to Tampa no matter what route) will ever be financially feasible.

Federal Gov't just gave them $16M in funding for that section.
That is just to get the conceptual design and study done to satisfy NEPA, which will take at least 18 months once it starts. They were at least at 30% concept stage with the 417 route, but now they have to start all over. They also have dragged their feet on getting any kind of agreements in place for utilization of co-location with roadways. They also still have miles of track to lay on the line from Cocoa to OIA which is supposed to be open in less than a year. This

I'm seriously doubting this section of the line (the section from MCO to Tampa no matter what route) will ever be financially feasible.
Apparently OCCC is the 2nd biggest in the US. That leg alone out of MCO should be worth it, plus the Universal traffic, plus the connection to SunRail for locals.

The rest of the way to Tampa, not sure. There is Amtrak now… I suppose the benefit of Brightline would be speed, express service, not needing to transfer to hit DS area or OCCC/UO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter